ESRB Reveals Possible Zelda MMO

Soak

Sep 21, 2010
Seriously, why not title this artice "a rumor about a rumor rumoring around".
I know, there wouldn't be enough stuff if you would only rely on official/confirmed information, though journalism includes proper investigation like: what is the information about, where does it come from, even if they won't confirm it, what are the involved parties saying about it e.g..
THIS is BAD journalism.

renegade7

Feb 9, 2011
I dont think there will be a zelda MMO-thats a hideous idea and I'm sure Nintendo knows it. Plus, I don't even think the Wii's network abilities are up to what an MMO will demand.

minnull

Feb 10, 2010
I don't get all the hate on this idea. Nintendo's new console is rumored to focus on group play like the Wii did but in a private, almost 'glued to a cell phone checking face book' kind of way (thats the idea I can see behind the new controllers with the built in screens). With a Zelda MMO game ESRB rating E for EVERYONE so I can guarantee this is not going to have any current online MMO strategy that pairs you up with smack talking 12 year olds.

I'm thinking Animal Crossing meets Ocarina of Time. Meaning, each person who joins the game has their own Hyrule, their own sandbox world where they complete their Zelda quests and maps but can also visit other Zelda Planets in the Zelda Universe (E.G your best friends Zelda world) and see what kind of progress they've made, share/trade items you've collected, help with missions or even complete 2/4 player missions together (ala' LittleBigPlanet).

I really wish everyone wouldn't just jump on the rage train and go on and on about having childhood memories raped from them and discuss where they imagine the franchise can go from here. This is Nintendo we're talking about here. Its not like Xbox 360 is releasing this on xbox live with monthly map updates, Nintendo always has their unique (sometimes flawed) approach to online multi player so I imagine this is going to be new, interesting and hopefully a non-flawed approach to the MMO.

algalon

Dec 6, 2010
Maskmaker LFW, your mats, tips appreciated, Have epic pattern [Majora's Mask] =D =D

I'm not gonna rage, just wait and see. Patience gwasshoppah

AndyFromMonday

Feb 5, 2009
You know Nintendo, when you first released the NES you were regarded as saviours. You single handedly pulled gaming from the dark ages and plunged it into a golden age. Now you're just rehashing the same shit and for some reason you're still fooling idiots. Fuck off Nintendo. In fact, all major publisher should just fuck off.

BrunDeign

Feb 14, 2008
Why does something that has "Universe" in the title always assumed to be an MMO? Do you people honestly think Nintendo would make an MMO of Zelda? A game in which the plot revolves around ONE PERSON SOLVING ALL OF THE PROBLEMS? What's possible explanation could they give for several million Links running around?

AndyFromMonday said:
You know Nintendo, when you first released the NES you were regarded as saviours. You single handedly pulled gaming from the dark ages and plunged it into a golden age. Now you're just rehashing the same shit and for some reason you're still fooling idiots. Fuck off Nintendo. In fact, all major publisher should just fuck off.
Well enjoy the crap created by all the non-major publishers because I can guaran-damn-tee that the major publishers make more good games more frequently than the other guys. Goodness some people are just ungrateful.

hazard99

Nov 18, 2009
"The rating can be traced back to 2001, and it is possible to get ratings for simple online Flash-based games, so this may have been established as a part of Camp Hyrule. We can't be sure of why, but we are sure that the rating is for the website and not a new game."

From Zelda Informer

http://www.zeldainformer.com/2011/05/clarifying-the-recent-esrb-zelda-universe-rumors.html#more

Taunta

Dec 17, 2010
"God Nintendo why don't you try anything new?"
"Hey guys we're taking a step in a new direction and making an MMO!"
"OMG PLEASE NO THAT'S A TERRIBLE IDEA"

and/or

"New Metroid/Mario/Zelda games!"
"God Nintendo why don't you ever come up with any new IPs?!"
"New IP! New universe and everything!"
"What about Metroid/Mario/Zelda?!"

Sylocat

Sci-Fi & Shakespeare
Nov 13, 2007
Herman Zindler said:
According to Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/5806118/dont-get-too-excited-about-zelda-universe], Nintendo is one of the few places who actually submits web content to the ESRB because they are intensely concerned about game ratings for kids.
Exactly. This whole thread is bellyaching over nothing.

If anything, they might have a cutesy little multiplayer browser game on their website as a promo for their next real game.

Macgyvercas

Spice & Wolf Restored!
Feb 19, 2009
ZeroMachine said:
Good god of all that is good and holy and video game...ish.

PLEASE LET THIS NOT HAPPEN.

A Zelda MMO is an atrocious idea.
I'm a huge Zelda fan and I agree with that sentiment. I'm sorry, but barring Four Swords and Four Swords Adventures, Zelda should not be multiplayer.

geier

Oct 15, 2010
Please no !
It is annoying enough to rescue zelda every 6 months in a new game release, but rescuing her every one or two hours in a mmo ?

Jackstick

May 25, 2011
I really hope this doesn't end up being Nintendo's version of Monster Hunter.

The Zelda series should not be fucked around with.

Gudrests

Mar 29, 2010
I could see it working....maybe. But PvP would be hard to imagine. Unless it was a game like Diablo esk where there is a story and you just jump in with friends...Fable 3 style...or...idk exactly

acsoundwave

Jul 18, 2010
You'd think they'd do a Mario universe MMO instead--that series has far more characters and locales to play with.