ESRB Spoils Heavy Violence, Heavy Sex in Heavy Rain

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
Eh. I don't get how people can have a go at Modern Warfare 2's airport scene, calling it out for only being there to get attention, but yet praise this as some kind of ubor-game. Honestly, I don't see any of this stuff being anything other than ways to grab the attention of sexually frustrated teenagers and overly-PC news stations.

WlknCntrdiction

May 8, 2008
Tbh I'm reading all of this(as well as others saying sex and violence will be in their games)and I'm thinking "So?". Nowadays sex and violence are seen as something that have to be rated? That's quite sad. What message does it give to kids when you see worse on the news at 10 than in a videogame, "ZOMG!! BOOBIES!!", I doubt any kid in their right mind is going to react like that, they'll probably just give it a shrug and continue, they've seen far worse before.

Kinda reminds me when I got told off by a prude(woman)who told me off for using the word "sex" in a sentence to a collegue when her son was present. Lady your kid is how old? 10? 11? He's heard worse on the school playground, go get laid please, maybe then you won't smother your kid so much.

boholikeu

Aug 18, 2008
Altorin said:
So Basically Heavy Rain is what Fox News thought Mass Effect was (albeit still through their sensationalist prism, but the "prompt-based sex scene" is much closer to what they were thinking with Mass Effect).

I wonder if Keighley will have to go on Fox News again, and if so, I wonder if he'll actually have something better to say then "Have you played the game? No? Then Shut up." I mean, I agree with his stance, but he definitely didn't do anything to make gaming look better. Wasted Opportunity I think.
Actually, his argument was more along the lines of "Have you played the game? No? Well if you had you'd know the "scene" in question contains no nudity or player-controlled sex. So shut up".

Plus, I think Fox News didn't create as much a stir about ME as people on the Internet would like to think. The whole issue was pretty much limited to one or two 5 min segments, if I remember correctly.

TheDoctor455

Friendly Neighborhood Time Lord
Apr 1, 2009
Despite what I said of Heavy Rain's predecessor, Indigo Prohphecy, I don't really mind this sort of gameplay that much. So long as 2 conditions are met:
1. The quick-time events are only used for real, physical actions, and not to drive a character's thoughts. I mean, in Indigo Prophecy, there is a scene in which you are examining a corpse and for some stupid reason, they put in a quick-time event representing the detective's thought process. What the fuck am I doing during this sequence? Making the gears in her head turn?

2. Make sure the story actually makes sense. Again, Indigo Prophecy is the main reason that I'm wary of Heavy Rain. Its made in more or less the same style, and its even being made by the same bloke that made I.P. And as I recall, I.P.'s story ditched the interesting murder mystery with a twist in favor of "Bwwhahahaha! I'm an evil tosser!"

VanityGirl

Apr 29, 2009
John Funk said:
And then there's honest-to-goodness sex: "The game also contains a prompt-based love scene (kissing and rubbing) in which players match on-screen cues to angle characters' mouths, remove shirts and blouses, unhook bras, and lower to the floor; a woman briefly appears topless amidst the dark shadows and heavy breathing-actual sex is never depicted as the camera fades to black."
Seriously?

....Fail.

The players have to match on-screen cues to angle a character's mouth? Do we need to shove it in for 'em too?
That just seems like a terrible idea. If there's a sex scene, I'd rather just watch it than have to push buttons during it.

Wandrecanada

Oct 3, 2008
Why do I feel like this whole game is going to be a movie that forces me to press buttons in order to progress through the story? Like a high budget 'Plumbers Don't Wear Ties' where the movie is not half bad. It just doesn't enter the realm of 'game' for me.

I think I would be more impressed if I just dropped in a film and every time I watched it I got a different narrative set within the same story. That way I don't have to gesticulate in some contrived fashion for the privilege of seeing the story.

smithy1234

Dec 12, 2008
Seems like a pretty awesome game to me haha. I'll probably pick it up later on when the price isn't so god damn expensive.

smithy1234

Dec 12, 2008
VanityGirl said:
John Funk said:
And then there's honest-to-goodness sex: "The game also contains a prompt-based love scene (kissing and rubbing) in which players match on-screen cues to angle characters' mouths, remove shirts and blouses, unhook bras, and lower to the floor; a woman briefly appears topless amidst the dark shadows and heavy breathing-actual sex is never depicted as the camera fades to black."
Seriously?

....Fail.

The players have to match on-screen cues to angle a character's mouth? Do we need to shove it in for 'em too?
That just seems like a terrible idea. If there's a sex scene, I'd rather just watch it than have to push buttons during it.
Hey, don't bash button pushing. If there's an opportunity for me to press buttons then damnit, I'll press buttons!

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
I'm curious to see how the narritave tension plays out. Most tension in games comes from a challenge.

However, I still haven't seen anything that's convinced me that this wont be just some pretentious collection of quick time events. It's still on my rental list.