Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Pi_Fighter said:
Susan Arendt said:
please keep the smugness to yourself.
Trivun said:
It looks as if you just seem smug
Sure is great when random strangers claim to know me better than myself while using the internet as a medium for their own anonymity.
Susan, did you really need to do that publicly?
I'm hardly anonymous. As for doing things in public, you certainly had no qualms about publicly suggesting that one of our news staff use the search button - why should my comment on that not be public as well?

Tech Team FTW!

Apr 1, 2009
Susan Arendt said:
I'm hardly anonymous. As for doing things in public, you certainly had no qualms about publicly suggesting that one of our news staff use the search button - why should my comment on that not be public as well?
You are anonymous; all I know about you is that you are the editor of the Escapist's daily content and you get cranky when your blood sugar is low.

You seemed to take personal offence at my comment and if you had sent me a private message requesting I retract it, I would have promptly complied. Sorry if I misinterpreted exactly what your intent was; this was a direct result of not knowing you personally.

T'Generalissimo

Nov 9, 2008
Is it just me or does this:
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Japan, Korea and even the US are all preparing charges according to David Anderson, a lawyer at Berwin Leighton Paisner [http://www.blplaw.com/].
make everyone else a lot more cynical about this:
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Intel denies the accusation, saying, "We believe the decision is wrong and ignores the reality of a highly competitive microprocessor market. There has been absolutely zero harm to consumers. Intel will appeal."

Feb 13, 2008
Pi_Fighter said:
You are anonymous; all I know about you is that you are the editor of the Escapist's daily content and you get cranky when your blood sugar is low.

You seemed to take personal offence at my comment and if you had sent me a private message requesting I retract it, I would have promptly complied. Sorry if I misinterpreted exactly what your intent was; this was a direct result of not knowing you personally.
Mr. Freud, until your statement above was observed by us, and thus collapsed the waveform into one of a many possible states, you existed only as a set of quantum superpositions defined by the limited details available to those outside the box - i.e. your posts.

To paraphrase: your posts are representative of yourself to the people viewing them. Knowing nothing else, your posts will become who you are in the minds of those that read them. In this case, some see smugness, some see an unfortunate instance of not knowing and considering the difference inherent in thread locations, and some may see both or something else entirely; there's a myriad of possibilities.

In conclusion, remember to consider what you commit to public view before you commit it. The more effort and attention to context you put into your posts, the better the chance of getting the preferred effects out of the possible outcomes.

Tech Team FTW!

Apr 1, 2009
paulgruberman said:
Mr. Freud, until your statement above was observed by us, and thus collapsed the waveform into one of a many possible states, you existed only as a set of quantum superpositions defined by the limited details available to those outside the box - i.e. your posts.

To paraphrase: your posts are representative of yourself to the people viewing them. Knowing nothing else, your posts will become who you are in the minds of those that read them. In this case, some see smugness, some see an unfortunate instance of not knowing and considering the difference inherent in thread locations, and some may see both or something else entirely; there's a myriad of possibilities.

In conclusion, remember to consider what you commit to public view before you commit it. The more effort and attention to context you put into your posts, the better the chance of getting the preferred effects out of the possible outcomes.
Mr. Moulton,
What is your preferred outcome of the above post?

To provide a direct quote:
"It is better to be silent and thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"
Being verbose proves nothing, aside from the presence of a Thesaurus and rudimentary skills in the use of the English language.

I refuse to believe you exist based on the fact that my own perceptions come with no guarantee of accuracy. As far as I am concerned, you are the creation of my mind misinterpreting small, multi-coloured squares of light that are told what to do by a machine reading a series of ones and zeroes.

I am nothing, if not vague. Your examinations of the context into which you delivered your post appear to have been a multitude of misjudgements.

Now, I must return to my basket and my state of theorised non-existence.

Feb 13, 2008
Pi_Fighter said:
Mr. Moulton,
What is your preferred outcome of the above post?

To provide a direct quote:
"It is better to be silent and thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"
Being verbose proves nothing, aside from the presence of a Thesaurus and rudimentary skills in the use of the English language.

I refuse to believe you exist based on the fact that my own perceptions come with no guarantee of accuracy. As far as I am concerned, you are the creation of my mind misinterpreting small, multi-coloured squares of light that are told what to do by a machine reading a series of ones and zeroes.

I am nothing, if not vague. Your examinations of the context into which you delivered your post appear to have been a multitude of misjudgements.

Now, I must return to my basket and my state of theorised non-existence.
It was a lighthearted reference to your profile information, as context for what we may or may not be able to know or find out about anyone on these forums, which I thought might amuse you. However, it also points out the problem inherent in your request, "if you had sent me a private message requesting I retract it, I would have promptly complied", where we cannot know this, as to us you are just as anonymous, if not more so, than we are to you. From our experience, your response would be a highly unlikely outcome - again, we don't know you.

Regarding your quote, was it intended to support my assertion that you should consider what you say before you say it? It does nothing for your following statement regarding being verbose; you can be as much a fool with a single word as many.