European Street Protest Against ACTA Draws Over 30,000

Ziame

Mar 29, 2011
itchcrotch said:

That's not the bullshit part. Bullshit part is: Mr. Francis writes a song. It is popular, thus he gets money for it. He continues to get money from it for 50 fucking years because that's what laws guarantee. WTF?! I love Sting, for example, but he's still getting dough for every song he ever wrote! That's stupid! Come on! Shouldn't a surgeon get a life-time cash inputs from every guy he operated, then? We are talking about songs, movies, pictures... they are more important than people now.

Casual Shinji said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Casual Shinji said:
Tree Snip
Oh my God, finally! Someone who can read a book! Jeez, author of V for Vendetta should go to prison for iconising this man. I mean, come on, he almost MURDERED DOZENS OF PEOPLE. GET A BOOK, GUYS - HE AIN'T A HERO.
[digress]Same with Che Guevara, actually. Difference being that Che actually murdered a lot of people.[/digress]

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
bakan said:
samsonguy920 said:
I eagerly await when this turns around and bites the corporations in the ass when the governments take it a bit further and ban any copyrighted material over the web. iTunes, for one, would become a ghost town in some countries.
iTunes and other online platforms for music are actually a nightmare for the 'big' music publishers - just like the VCR, CD-burner etc, they tried everything to shut them down.
Can't help but notice they didn't go to outright denying Apple the license to sell their music. This is a good example of how corrupt the RIAA really is. They complain about piracy and the vulnerabilities of third-party sellers, like iTunes, but they aren't about to cut off the revenue. I seem to remember a time a while ago where one artist, just getting into his career and had zero ties to the RIAA wanted to just give his work away for free. One could have imagined the veins popping on the heads of the RIAA when they conceived their own artists might decide that was a good idea. Even if it didn't happen, it is a rather amusing thought.
It really is no wonder that artists like Prince have disowned the RIAA.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
zefiris said:
And all the Guy Fawkes mask has come to represent is people whining like little babies about nearly anything internet related.
So, the masks represent users like "Casual Shinji"? I mean, 'whining like a little baby' would be covered by "Casual Shinji", for example, as would being ignorant. You do not need to cry this much about people exercising their right to protest bad government decisions. In fact, that you do shows that you completely fail to understand how democracy is supposed to work, which is very sad in itself - either your education was terrible, or you didn't listen. I don't know which of the two is worse.

On the mask:
Guy Fawkes was indeed a pretty dangerous man historically. The mask isn't taken for him, though. It's more a reference to V for Vendetta, a movie.
See, in the real world, symbols change. Most of the symbols you are used to do not mean what they mean because this is a part of the symbol. Symbols hold their meaning because of what we understand them as. And that understanding changes.

Many christian symbols are actually pagan in origin, for example.

What the real Guy Fawkes stood for is meaningless at this point. The mask has a different meaning now.

Seriously, what have we come to that we think protests - a democratic right that our ancestors fought and died to achieve - are a "bad thing"?
Yeah sorry, but what's with the personal attack?

Are you so intent on proving me right when I say that not caring about the ACTA protest suddenly makes you the anti-Christ?

Staskala

Sep 28, 2010
Flames66 said:
While I can see that ACTA does not in and of itself enact any laws, it opens the door for Europe wide legislation suppressing human rights.
Just as you have said, ACTA is not a piece of legislation. If any European government wants to suppress human rights, it can freely do so without having signed ACTA. ACTA is irrelevant to the legal process unless it actively demands further legislation. Further legislation will have to go through parliament and all other necessary institution the regular way. Unless you can cite a specific section of ACTA where you think that the UK is not in compliance with ACTA and thus requires further legislation - which still has to go through parliament et.al. - this is a non-issue.
One of the main problems is that copyright laws as they stand are outdated, poorly defined and heavily focused on the interests of large corporations. In the past, it has been possible to get around these issues by choosing "the best of a bad bunch", however this move to standardise copyright internationally has highlighted how poor the current systems are.
Agreed, but this has nothing to do with ACTA in particular.
Having read ACTA, I see that it is itself vaguely worded in order to cover as wide a scope as possible. Almost all sections are open to interpretation and abuse, particularly Chapter 2 Section 5 paragraph 5, relating to circumventing technological measures, which could criminalise harmless modifications to commercial products and services. There would also be an "ACTA Committee" appointed which would not be answerable to any elected representative, meaning that the agreement could be changed without due process. "
It would help if you included the actual text.
ACTA said:
Each Party?s enforcement procedures shall provide the means to address the infringement of copyright or related rights over digital networks, which may include the unlawful means of widespread distribution for infringement purposes. These procedures shall be implemented in a manner that avoids the creation of barriers to legitimate activity, including electronic commerce, and, consistent with each Party?s law, preserves principles relating to freedom of expression, fair process, and privacy.
The section does not demand anything that is not already enshrined in UK law and fully covered by the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988 and its amendments. ACTA does not demand any restrictions to the fair dealing rationale in UK law. Further legislation in this regard is independent of ACTA and cannot be justified by referring to ACTA. Further legislation will have to go through parliament and all other necessary institution the regular way.
Grave changes to ACTA would have to be newly ratified by the signer nations as is usual for trade agreements. Further changes to ACTA will have to go through parliament and all other necessary institution the regular way.
ACTA as a trade agreement is worded vaguely because no one would sign trade agreements if they demanded highly specific legislation. The extend to which ACTA's demands are made law are in the responsibility of the individual signer nation. If governments feel that their current legislation is inadequate they can change it without having signed ACTA. The important thing is if ACTA actually demands further legislation, which is not the case here.
Staskala said:
As welcomed as the anti-ACTA protests and their clear signal to politicians are, everything is meaningless if they only happened because people were riled up with misinformation.
Getting people who may be unwilling to or incapable of reading and understanding something to see how it could effect them and act on it is an important part of any movement. It is as important here as it is with climate change or the financial crisis.
Hence why I don't like political movements. People are polarized to believe one truth and one truth only. There is never just one truth, especially not in politics. The fact that political parties get involved in the anti-ACTA protests and abuse it to gain favor essentially kills the movement for me.
And ACTA is merely a symptom. A trade agreement is only worth so much. If you fear that your government will interpret ACTA in the most extreme way possible, the problem is the government, not the trade agreement itself.
The anti-ACTA campaign is far to focused on ACTA itself, the primary focus should be already existing copyright law and its execution. I don't know of a single nation that isn't already in full compliance with ACTA. ACTA is meaningless and only serves to create an international standard that's already present in the entire first world. ACTA seems to be aimed at the developing world, although not a single 2nd world nation is signing it. Yet everyone makes a big stand to defeat ACTA, even though whether or not ACTA is ratified makes no difference at all.

It's a meaningless battle in a side theater and no one bothers to show up to the actual war.

RoonMian

Mar 5, 2011
Keava said:
If any country these days would even think of attacking China They would find themselves without money to fund the campaign anyway. Most of national debts are at least partially held by China. Have fun.
It doesn't have anything to do with China. Germany cannot attack another country period.

draythefingerless

Jul 10, 2010
RoonMian said:
Keava said:
If any country these days would even think of attacking China They would find themselves without money to fund the campaign anyway. Most of national debts are at least partially held by China. Have fun.
It doesn't have anything to do with China. Germany cannot attack another country period.
It can, but it shouldnt, nor does it want it in any way. signing papers of peace has little meaning in times of war. only the big boy countries like america and china get profits from war alright? no one else does. war is always bad for a nation, except if youre america for example, and your business IS war.

Snoozer

Jun 8, 2011
iniudan said:
AC10 said:
Between Sweden, Finland, and Germany, which would be the easiest to emigrate to?
Would say Germany, but it basically impossible to get citizenship if you don't have a Germanic ancestor you can prove his existence.
The main problem is that you have to live in Germany for 7-8 years if you don't have an ancestor. In the US it's 5 years for example. I don't know much about how other Countries handle it, but I wouldn't call it impossible (only dealing with German authorities is a pain in the a**).
Details:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_nationality_law#Naturalisation_by_entitlement

Also ACTA is a real problem, is there a petition yet?

Staskala

Sep 28, 2010
draythefingerless said:
It can, but it shouldnt, nor does it want it in any way. signing papers of peace has little meaning in times of war. only the big boy countries like america and china get profits from war alright? no one else does. war is always bad for a nation, except if youre america for example, and your business IS war.
Germany is the 3rd largest arms exporter right after Russia and the US...
It is as he says though, Germany cannot participate in an "aggressive" war. After WWII the allies made sure that a section prohibiting it was included in the German constitution. Germany literally cannot go to war bar a revolution that would overthrow the government and change the constitution. By the way, this was the main reason why Bush criticizing lacking support from Germany left a bad taste over here.
You're right on in saying that Germany had its fill of war to last a century though.

Henkie36

Aug 25, 2010
My Biggest problem with ACTA is that it basically gives our government a paspartout to spy on their own subjects (of which I am one) online, even going as far as cutting off the internet access to the computer if they feel like it. Yes, piracy should be banned. No, that shouldn't cost us such a big part of our privacy.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Casual Shinji said:
I said "a problem" not "the problem".

And it's also this "if you're not with us, you're against us" attitude that these ACTA protestors have that makes my blood boil. I say I don't really give a shit about ACTA, and suddenly I'm the bad guy.
That's mob mentality. People who only see red when you're firmly wearing neutral grey.
And it's part of why I didn't support the Occupy Wallstreet movement (among other reasons).

Asking someone to listen to reason, in itself, requires reason.
It's when people are routinely ignored by those in power, no matter the reasoning, that they get angry, and reason turns into a mob mentality. I remember all of the canned responses I read when many sites were openly protesting SOPA; none of them refuted in specifics and argued entirely in generalities.

Which is not at all how the relationship of reasoning works.

Given how many political attacks have been made against personal liberties in the last decade, it's easy to see why people are so angry, and how it's also easy to become callous of them in response.

Xifel

Nov 28, 2007
Tubez said:
Not G. Ivingname said:
iniudan said:
AC10 said:
Between Sweden, Finland, and Germany, which would be the easiest to emigrate to?
Would say Germany, but it basically impossible to get citizenship if you don't have a Germanic ancestor you can prove his existence.

Sweden got heavy tax for immigrant, even before you have a job, so better find a job or have saving before moving there.

Finland no idea.
Findland's taxes are very high, mostly to pay off the very extensive social welfare system they have (you can retire at 50), although immigration seams easier than Sweden and Germany.

You also forgot to mention even if you do get full citizenship in Sweden, you STILL have a very heavy tax to tend with.
The bonus with sweden is that you can go to norway & denmark and finland and speak swedish and they will understand you and they will get annoyed that you will not understand them :)

The swedish tax is: [http://www.taxrates.cc/html/sweden-tax-rates.html]
Sweden
Income Tax Rate 57.77%

Sweden
Corporate Tax Rate 26.3%

Sweden
VAT Rate 25%

Finlands tax is: [http://www.taxrates.cc/html/finland-tax-rates.html]

Finland
Income Tax Rate 51%

Finland
Corporate Tax Rate 26%

Finland
Sales Tax / VAT Rate 23%
I have no idea how these people count, but in reality it's between around 25-30% income tax in Sweden. Maybe they count the employeer fee, but that's money you won't see anyway...

MrTub

Mar 12, 2009
Xifel said:
Tubez said:
Not G. Ivingname said:
iniudan said:
AC10 said:

Sweden got heavy tax for immigrant, even before you have a job, so better find a job or have saving before moving there.

Finland no idea.
Findland's taxes are very high, mostly to pay off the very extensive social welfare system they have (you can retire at 50), although immigration seams easier than Sweden and Germany.

You also forgot to mention even if you do get full citizenship in Sweden, you STILL have a very heavy tax to tend with.
The bonus with sweden is that you can go to norway & denmark and finland and speak swedish and they will understand you and they will get annoyed that you will not understand them :)

The swedish tax is: [http://www.taxrates.cc/html/sweden-tax-rates.html]
Sweden
Income Tax Rate 57.77%

Sweden
Corporate Tax Rate 26.3%

Sweden
VAT Rate 25%

Finlands tax is: [http://www.taxrates.cc/html/finland-tax-rates.html]

Finland
Income Tax Rate 51%

Finland
Corporate Tax Rate 26%

Finland
Sales Tax / VAT Rate 23%
I have no idea how these people count, but in reality it's between around 25-30% income tax in Sweden. Maybe they count the employeer fee, but that's money you won't see anyway...
Im guessing they are counting how much the corporations pays, but it's higher then 25-30% in Sweden if you have a good salary (my Father pays around 43% if I do not recall wrong)

Flames66

Aug 22, 2009
Staskala said:
Just as you have said, ACTA is not a piece of legislation. If any European government wants to suppress human rights, it can freely do so without having signed ACTA. ACTA is irrelevant to the legal process unless it actively demands further legislation. Further legislation will have to go through parliament and all other necessary institution the regular way. Unless you can cite a specific section of ACTA where you think that the UK is not in compliance with ACTA and thus requires further legislation - which still has to go through parliament et.al. - this is a non-issue.
While it does not make any laws on its own, the signatories agree to make laws in compliance with it.

Staskala said:
Hence why I don't like political movements. People are polarized to believe one truth and one truth only. There is never just one truth, especially not in politics. The fact that political parties get involved in the anti-ACTA protests and abuse it to gain favor essentially kills the movement for me.
And ACTA is merely a symptom. A trade agreement is only worth so much. If you fear that your government will interpret ACTA in the most extreme way possible, the problem is the government, not the trade agreement itself.
The anti-ACTA campaign is far to focused on ACTA itself, the primary focus should be already existing copyright law and its execution. I don't know of a single nation that isn't already in full compliance with ACTA. ACTA is meaningless and only serves to create an international standard that's already present in the entire first world. ACTA seems to be aimed at the developing world, although not a single 2nd world nation is signing it. Yet everyone makes a big stand to defeat ACTA, even though whether or not ACTA is ratified makes no difference at all.

It's a meaningless battle in a side theater and no one bothers to show up to the actual war.
You make some interesting points. I will look more into them.

About your last sentence, as Tommy Lee Jones once said "I can't fight what I can't see!" If you can show me where the war is I will be there with Guy Fawkes mask on and pitch fork in hand to try to reform copyright, social inequity and anything else that needs it. Until then, I will try to help where I can see I might make a difference.

galaktar

Nov 16, 2011
Terminate421 said:
I love how Obama signed the thing saying he wouldn't.

Is there a way to take back the agreement?
There shouldn't be a need. Presidents can't sign treaties. It was a meaningless gesture. The legislative branch is the only one that can actually approve a treaty.

Congress however, almost passed SOPA, which would have basically legitimized Obama's attempted takeover of a constitutionally allotted function of government. Precedent is everything it seems, nowadays.

I'd say that everyone should watch out for bits and pieces of SOPA to be passed under giant gobs of unrelated legislation, now that everyone thinks that the threat has passed. The FBI might prosecute people for violating ACTA anyway even though it technically isn't a law in the US.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Keava said:
RoonMian said:
Therumancer said:
To be honest, all hype aside (and comments about how they would never go to war) I'd imagine if the US went to war like I describe to leverage China and other robber economies France and Germany are two of the nations that would be right behind us given their huge levels of victimization by REAL IP/patent thefts and knockoffs.
Germany cannot actively go to war unless it is a defensive one when one of the NATO countries is attacked. USA attacking China for economic reasons... Will have to do it without Germany.

And now I feel awkward for even trying to counter that ridiculous extremism with fact.
Why do You think it's okay to fight for "freedom" and "human rights" in places like Iraq, Afghanistan and so on, but You won't hear a bad word about China from officials ? Western world can't do a thing to the biggest and currently, most thriving, economy in the world. It would be insanity... And good luck convincing Russia to even allow You to use their air space.

On topic however. The problem with ACTA is how it phrases stuff, like with all such bills and agreements. They are way too vague and open to interpretation which causes whole lot of issues. Sure the idea is noble, but it all comes down to execution. That's why in most countries where ACTA was discussed the first to rise red flags were institutions that deal with basic civil and privacy rights.

Another thing is the fact that big corporations having such influence over international laws. Thing is They still think people with blindly buy overpriced products, throwing money into Their, and only Their pockets. Times changed. Ever since services like iTunes or Netflix became popular we were given alternatives. You don't have to buy a full music album for single song, You don't have to pay all the "profit margin" fee's to retailers and distributors and can actually support artists directly.
I recently talked with one of writers in my country who told me that one of biggest media retailers here puts up a 75 % profit margin on books. This means 75% of a book cost goes to the retailer, not the publisher nor the writer behind it.
Industry needs to move forward and accept new trends. People who use internet regularly are often the most aware consumers, and They do research the options before deciding on purchase. Recent studies done showed, that even tho the problem of piracy is obvious and widespread, it's still the same group that spends the most money on all kinds of media, legally, while people who do not use internet spend way less on books/music/movies.

Thing is the big corporation feel threatened by the fact They will loose control over the products, because why do You need a contract with huge music company, which has very little benefits for You as an artist, when You can sell Yourself on Your own through internet, and get majority of the share into Your pocket instead?
Even the recent Tim Schafer's success on kickstarter shows, that if You provide good product You can count on Your fans to throw money at You if You just simply ask them, cutting out the middle man entirely from the process.

Bottom line is, ACTA is just another try to keep status quo without any real benefits for either artists or consumers.

I think your missing the point with China. The only reason why China is owed money is because the US and other countries decided not to push the issue of China's robber economy due to the belief that the money China was making was going to trickle down to the people themselves, who would demand more in the way of rights which the goverment would be forced to give them, leading to a renaissance of sorts where China would reform socially and begin developing it's own patents and IPs in greater numbers which it would want protected and would thus start playing by the rules.

Rather than going in to China and wiping out hundreds of millions of people we took a strategy where we felt by doing nothing the problem would correct itself.

China loaned money to the US and other nations largely in return for us not attacking them, this being money we needed t operate our goverments that would otherwise have been obtained from taxing businesses. In the context of a strategy game this would be considered "tribute", in reality it's phrased diplomatically as a loan.

This is why so many people talk about China basically lending us back the money it stole from us. The goverment(s) not backing business interests while they were being robbed... taking care of itself and it's operations, but letting the people who developed the product hang, are also a big part of why relations between businesses and the US goverment suck, and played heavily into the politics around the bank crashes and so on. Granted this IS a great simplification but it touches on a lot of things, not only this, but how we have problems with US businesses not doing things like using sweatshop labour to produce goods cheaply to compete with those knocking off their patents. The goverment pretty much letting their ideas being stolen but not letting domestic business even try and match the production costs for moral reasons. It can get pretty nasty on all sides, and involves a lot of issues that all boil down to this.

The thing is that economics and being owed money does not stop wars. Businessmen have been argueing since there has been trade that war was impossible due to the system of debts. In the end it all comes down to military power which is why the saying "Free Trade means he with the biggest guns trades freely" exists. A debt is only as good as the abillity of the person the money is owed to to collect it.

Now, instead of reforming China continued to oppress it's people and fed the money it was making into it's military. Building up it's naval forces in paticular so it could project it's huge population, and shore up the big weakness that has prevented it from becoming a world power. As it becomes more powerful those debts, irregardless of why they came to be, become more of an issue. See if China becomes powerful enough to collect on those debts because we let things continue down this road, we're in trouble because of our own strategy. This is one of the reasons why the longer we wait in going to war, the worse the overall situation becomes. Representing roughly 1/3rd of the population, and having that much land, China can outproduce the US and many other nations combined in an absolute sense, if it gains military superiority we're never going to take it back, and China is going to be able to continue to rob people at the very least, personally I think it's eventually going to turn into them invading other nations for living space.

There is plenty about it out there, I haven't just concocted this overnight, I've put a LOT of thought into it, and have been following the situation for a long time.

That's all just a side point though (as long as it is), the point about China is simply that their robber economy is the real issue. All of this ACTA/SOPA stuff is just a smoke screen for the goverments to seem like they are doing something without actually addressing the real issues because a war like the one that is nessicary is not something anyone wants to start. Basically you have politicians passing the buck hoping someone else down the road will do it and put the blood on their hands, so they won't have to and can milk their political careers.

The simple fact that these laws ultimatly wind up cutting into civil rights and giving the people less power is just a side benefit. If they pass good, if they don't, lawmakers can point to them and say "hey we tried" when issues of IP violations come up... totally overlooking that the actual issues involving patent and IP violations that are hurting national economies are not internal matters... the major culprits do what they do because they aren't following the laws to begin with.

-

Oh and in response to the guy who commented on Germany, understand that this wasn't a complete breakdown on everyone's roles. Germany would back the war, it doesn't mean it would actually send an army, and there is a LOT it can do besides them, such as providing economic and material support. If an actual war effort gets going the nations (like the US) that are largely responsible for the limitations on Germany would be inclined to loosen up on them.

To be honest throwing in with the US, win or lose, could lead to Germany actually being asked to build up another military, and have it spun into a lot of propaganda forgiving two world wars. Even if the war was lost, if everyone wasn't destroyed or conquered Germany could benefit from that for a long time to come.... but I digress, I don't think Germany would wind up being asked to build a military and send it to begin with, but if we did the actual request would probably be a sort of political wet dream for them because simply being asked to do it would carry meaning on a lot of differant levels.

Syzygy23

Sep 20, 2010
iniudan said:
AC10 said:
Wow, really? Just when we all thought they stopped being Nazis they bust out with "ONLY PURE GERMANS MAY LIVE IN GERMANY! ZEN ZE VORLD VILL BE NEAT UND TIDY!"