EVE Announces Collector's Edition, TV Series and Comic

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
EVE Announces Collector's Edition, TV Series and Comic

CCP aims to bring the universe of EVE outside of just the game's starmap.

Never one to give up the chance of ending with a bang, CCP announced a number of new exciting products and partnerships during the final keynote of Fanfest 2013 in Reykjavik, Iceland.

In celebration of EVE's 10 years of being online, and because despite all that time never having one, CCP announced that they'll be releasing a collector's edition of EVE Online this fall. In addition to the usual assortment of in-game items, CDs and hardcover books, EVE The Second Decade: Collectors Edition will even contain a few more unique items. Like a USB hub modeled to look like a Rifter frigate and the first English printing of CCP's first game, the Danger Game boardgame which sales helped to original fund and make EVE Online.

In-game EVE Online items.
A reskinned Golden Pod
Unique bloodline clothing options
Limited blueprint for the 10th Anniversary battlecruiser
Limited edition frigate with a new skin
Pre-order bonus limited Thrasher destroyer

In-game Dust 514 items.
Amarr Templar assault and heavy dropsuits
A choice selection of Amarr weapons

Physical items.
10th Year Symphony CD
Rifter USB Hub
Hardcover Book - Into the Second Decade
First English printing of CCP's first boardgame - Danger Game
Mystery Code, a reusable code that will unlock benefits in future products

Retail
$149.99
Shipping October 2013
In addition to the collector's edition, a number of other products and partnerships were announced to bring the universe of EVE Online outside of the game. EVE was recently inducted into the New York Museum of Modern Art's collection, along with 13 other games. The piece is comprised of over a terabyte of information compiled from a single day in EVE Online. The time lapse video displays a changing scene of when players from around the world login to the game, where ships are being destroyed, ships moving between jump gates, players being pod killed and more. The senior curator at MoMA along with other inductees, like the creator's of Dwarf Fortress, were on hand for a Games As Art panel.

[gallery=1468]

Finally, as part of EVE 10 years, CCP launched the True Stories event, where players could submit and vote on their favorite tales and interactions from the game, be it massive corporate backstabbing or more personal stories of friendship or fighting. While the winners will receive some handsome prizes, and everyone will be able to read through them all online, that's not the end of what CCP plans to do with them. Partnering with Dark Horse Comics, EVE True Stories will be published later this year inspired by some of the player created events. A digital version will be available as a free download in addition to physical printings. And in a real surprise move, while there has often been calls for CCP to make an EVE movies, they are instead tapping Icelandic director Baltasar Kormákur to work on TV series, in the vein of Breaking Bad or Game of Thrones, with the clever tag line "based on a true story 20,000 years from now". The director would have been at Fanfest if not for filming a pilot for HBO currently.

Whether you're a 10 year veteran of EVE Online, someone looking to get into the game or just someone interested in the player driven universe but turned off by the gameplay, there are a number of new ways to get connected to EVE Online.

omicron1

Mar 26, 2008
This sounds awesome.

My EvE has lapsed, but I may have to get this all the same.

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
DVS BSTrD said:
Let's just hope it's more interesting then Defiance.
The writers are going to be taking real eve stories and adapting them to a TV series. Also I think the Eve Lore is typically better than Most MMOs, especially since CCP bought WhiteWolf and has had them rewriting and writing Eve lore in general. An Eve show could feel like a Game of Thrones in space if they decide to focus on any of the great wars or a heist series, or well anything depending on what story they want to tell.

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
10$ says those special Magnates & Thrashers get suicide-ganked the second they're taken out the Station, if the Golden Magnate and it's ilk are anything to go by.

synobal said:
Also I think the Eve Lore is typically better than Most MMOs, especially since CCP bought WhiteWolf and has had them rewriting and writing Eve lore in general.
Yeah, the detail CCP has put into EvE is insane. I mean the game even has an in-universe explanation for things like the camera.

Corven

Forever Gonzo
Sep 10, 2008
The tv show idea is great I can already imagine what they could do if they dedicated a season or two to the plotline of the guy who infiltrated a rival corporation and brought it down from the inside.

mattaui

Oct 16, 2008
Golden pod, that's hilarious. Also makes me wonder how much those limited run blueprints would be worth.

That's some neat stuff, but I don't know about $150 neat. It would be nice if we had more games that catered to specific niches like EVE and less games that tried to be everything to everyone.

Product Placement

Jul 16, 2009
Slycne said:
In addition to the usual assortment of in-game items, CDs and hardcover books, EVE The Second Decade: Collectors Edition will even contain a few more unique items. Like a USB hub modeled to look like a Rifter frigate and the first English printing of CCP's first game, the Danger Game boardgame which sales helped to original fund and make EVE Online.
Slycne said:
the Danger Game boardgame which sales helped to original fund and make EVE Online.
Slycne said:
the Danger Game boardgame
Slycne said:
Danger Game

Oh boy, are you people in for a hoot.

This might be the best boardgame I've ever played. Until now, it's only existed in Icelandic so the rest of the world has been denied of its excellence, to this day. It is the single solitary reason why CCP was able to collect enough funding to develop and launch EVE online, and seeing as the game was launched in a country with a population of less then a third of a million, you know it has to have been a success.

The goal of the game is to be a teenager where you collect social skills and material objects to show off. This gives you social points and the first one to collect enough points wins. Social points can be collected through 3 different types of social circles; sports, academia and partylife. As you play the game, you end up drawing event cards and fate cards. Events play out instantly and you get to keep up to 5 fate cards to play out whenever it feels appropriate. This is where backstabbing comes into play, since allot of the fate cards tend to screw with another player.

The game features a 4th social circle, which is the nightlife circle. This is where you can collect addictions. Addictions causes you to lose social skills and may force you to sell off material objects to pay off debts. You can get rehab, which allows you to kick the habit.

The most fun aspect of the game is the ruthless backstabbing that can take place late in the game, when players start sabotaging each others social skills and material objects. The game also features a weird type of sarcastic humor that's hard to describe. I don't know if the humor will get lost in translation, after being converted to English, but I can promise you that there is humor in the original version. At any rate, I recommend this game as a must have for board game collectors.

And as an added bonus, I'll show you the original cover:

You see that guy in drag? That's Grandma. (S)he's gonna be your best/worst friend in this game. Also, he's played by the Mayor of Reykjavík, so that's a thing.

Why, yes. That is my mayor dressed as a Jedi, during a speech. He does that allot. Why do you ask?

marurder

Jul 26, 2009
You couldn't make an 'interesting story' for WOW or most other MMO's. They're far too linear. (go raid, kill boss) repeat. Throw a little story in there. But I can definitely see it in EVE, it's all about the players.

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
Product Placement said:
This might be the best boardgame I've ever played. Until now, it's only existed in Icelandic so the rest of the world has been denied of its excellence, to this day. It is the single solitary reason why CCP was able to collect enough funding to develop and launch EVE online, and seeing as the game was launched in a country with a population of less then a third of a million, you know it has to have been a success.

The goal of the game is to be a teenager where you collect social skills and material objects to show off. This gives you social points and the first one to collect enough points wins. Social points can be collected through 3 different types of social circles; sports, academia and partylife. As you play the game, you end up drawing event cards and fate cards. Events play out instantly and you get to keep up to 5 fate cards to play out whenever it feels appropriate. This is where backstabbing comes into play, since allot of the fate cards tend to screw with another player.

The game features a 4th social circle, which is the nightlife circle. This is where you can collect addictions. Addictions causes you to lose social skills and may force you to sell off material objects to pay off debts. You can get rehab, which allows you to kick the habit.

The most fun aspect of the game is the ruthless backstabbing that can take place late in the game, when players start sabotaging each others social skills and material objects. The game also features a weird type of sarcastic humor that's hard to describe. I don't know if the humor will get lost in translation, after being converted to English, but I can promise you that there is humor in the original version. At any rate, I recommend this game as a must have for board game collectors.

And as an added bonus, I'll show you the original cover:

You see that guy in drag? That's Grandma. (S)he's gonna be your best/worst friend in this game. Also, he's played by the Mayor of Reykjavík, so that's a thing.

Why, yes. That is my mayor dressed as a Jedi, during a speech. He does that allot. Why do you ask?
I might have to buy the Collectors edition just for this game. It seriously seems like it might be a lot of fun.

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
Ooooh a space TV show! I love those! Especially when there are space pirates involved!

Gilhelmi

The One Who Protects
Oct 22, 2009
synobal said:
DVS BSTrD said:
The writers are going to be taking real eve stories and adapting them to a TV series. Also I think the Eve Lore is typically better than Most MMOs, especially since CCP bought WhiteWolf and has had them rewriting and writing Eve lore in general. An Eve show could feel like a Game of Thrones in space if they decide to focus on any of the great wars or a heist series, or well anything depending on what story they want to tell.
I will give them this one. They take events that the players have created themselves (like the great fall of BoB, or GoonSwarm invading High-Sec, ect.) and write at TV show that will draw more targets players too the game.

I hope it works, I need more customers for my special Ammo delivery service. Once my Ammo is delivered they can buy a new ship off of the market (I am heavily invested in ships at the moment, people need to buy more ships).

Gilhelmi

The One Who Protects
Oct 22, 2009
A golden pod? REALLY, so exciting!! Now everyone will know how I have no life as they kill me! OH JOY!!!

And do not get me started on limited edition ship skins. Oh look, an overpriced ship that has a large bull-eye painted on it.

Wait, your selling me clothing toooo. Oh my, I will definitely NOT be able to show that off. (as it cost RL money to re-skin your character, a portrait hardly anyone looks at below the waist. Is that new shoes, oh, NO ONE will ever SEE THEM).

Honestly, the Physical items are the only thing worth it from the list, but even then, something smell rotten in Iceland.

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
Well I just submitted my True Stories for Eve online, I really hope they choose it for a comic or tv episode. It would be amazing a dream come true even.

Hyper-space

Nov 25, 2008
Eh, Baltasar is a good director, never been too blown away by his work, but his style of directing (realistic, gritty, rough) might really suit something like EVE.

Infernai

Apr 14, 2009
synobal said:
DVS BSTrD said:
...If they don't make this incident into an episode: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/01/29/one-accidental-jump-later-one-of-eves-biggest-battles/

I will be very disappointed in them.

monev44

Nov 9, 2010
Gilhelmi said:
Wait, your selling me clothing toooo. Oh my, I will definitely NOT be able to show that off. (as it cost RL money to re-skin your character, a portrait hardly anyone looks at below the waist. Is that new shoes, oh, NO ONE will ever SEE THEM).
Changing clothes and hairstyles doesn't cost anything, and can be done on a whim. Its only when you are redoing your genetics/bone structure that there's a fee.

synobal said:
DVS BSTrD said:
I don't see them presenting very long arcs. Seeing as it's lots of stories taken form various sources I see something more like the Twilight Zone, where is a collection of shorts about specific happenings that happen to exist in the same universe.

direkiller

Dec 4, 2008
synobal said:
DVS BSTrD said:
hell some of the old lore holds scary up very well
they can even reuse the trailer for some of it
it would also be amusing if they got clear skies and put some money into turning that into a full movie.

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
I doubt they will use my stores but regardless I've submitted a few in the hopes that they will either end up adapted to comics or perhaps a tv episode.