EVE Online Politics: A spy just screwed a few thousand players, years of work.

Theo Samaritan

Jul 16, 2008
Gormourn said:
If I could go back a year or so, I'd totally play Eve just to witness this.

Heh. It's things like this that make MMOs fun.
Play now, you can still witness the same things. Happens all the time, just not in such grand scale.

geldonyetich

Aug 2, 2006
I finally figured it out. I got to the real basic nature of the thing, and it's so ridiculously simple it's stupid.

Lets say you're playing a the high and mighty director of a major EVE alliance... and you're bored. You rage against the people in the alliance who are not quite as bored as you to do something else, but they basically shoot you down as putting the corporation in risk. So you decide to try to burn away the monotony doing something you don't normally do, like mining.

You run across a fellow who scams you, and it's the most exciting thing to happen to you in awhile, but hardly surprising - scamming happens in EVE Online all the time. Then, the spark of something great impacts you:

"Since life in EVE Online so very terrible for you, why not commit EVE Online suicide and go out with a bang?"

You know you've been in contact with a Goon, and you're experienced enough with the game to know know exactly what the Goonfleet/Goonswarm stands for. However, you're so sickeningly bored of the game you don't even want to play anymore, you want to burn this bridge you have with BoB good, so you decide to see about doing the most damage you can possible.

The rest, as they say, is history. One player's overwhelming incredible boredom of EVE Online destroyed one of the most powerful (if not the most powerful) alliance in EVE Online. There wasn't a superspy realizing the clever manipulation of an entire alliance of players - it was one bored player quitting EVE and deciding to go out with a bang, or perhaps a supernova.

That's all it was. I told you it was so ridiculously simple it's stupid.

Where's my proof? Well, only those chat logs again [http://myeve.eve-online.com/ingameboard.asp?a=topic&threadID=991219]. When the player starts talking about how he doesn't care if he loses everything, that's pretty much the clincher right there.

darthzew

Jun 19, 2008
I really hope this spy planned it from the start. That would be awesome. I mean, it'd some serious hardcore James Bond stuff to charm your way to being a big gun only to totally destroy the place.

Bulletinmybrain

Jun 22, 2008
Theo Samaritan said:
Gormourn said:
If I could go back a year or so, I'd totally play Eve just to witness this.

Heh. It's things like this that make MMOs fun.
Play now, you can still witness the same things. Happens all the time, just not in such grand scale.
Hey, SHK is setting up a eve corporation for TE. :)

Oswald D Grant

Feb 6, 2009
darthzew said:
I really hope this spy planned it from the start. That would be awesome. I mean, it'd some serious hardcore James Bond stuff to charm your way to being a big gun only to totally destroy the place.
He wasn't a spy, he was a defector. Like during the Cold War when Russians would get sick of the Kremlin's shit, claim asylum in America and tell everything they knew.

Haargoth wrote said:
[02:11:36] Haargoth Agamar > because Ive been thinking about leaving bob but I really had nowhere to go, I like the guys in your corp so far and wanted to stay
[02:12:01] Haargoth Agamar > and I just got sick of bob members being arrogant f***ing ******s
[02:12:08] Haargoth Agamar > and the leadership always being idiots
[02:12:16] Haargoth Agamar > I just want to be a grunt and shoot s***
[02:12:21] Haargoth Agamar > without OMG WE ARE BETTER THEN YOU
[02:12:28] Haargoth Agamar > and I still want to be in 0.0
[02:12:36] Haargoth Agamar > and its either bob or the coalition
[02:12:39] Haargoth Agamar > so yea
[02:12:59] Tamir Lenk > hurm
[02:13:45] Haargoth Agamar > I know that even if this works Ill never get trusted with anything leadership related but thats fine with me
[02:14:30] Haargoth Agamar > when I joined bnc nobody cared that a new guy was there
[02:14:34] Haargoth Agamar > and pretty much ignored me
[02:14:38] Haargoth Agamar > when Harkani joined igne
[02:14:48] Haargoth Agamar > everyone is trying to help me out and generally being nice and friendly
[02:14:54] Haargoth Agamar > its a pretty nice change
This doesn't sound to me like a man ready to quit the game. Maybe if I smoked a lot of crack or had some sort of bizarre obsession with convincing everyone that a game I don't play is terrible then it would, but thankfully neither of those is the case.

That's what really gets on my nerves. I don't play Eve anymore, but there are different styles of games and they suit different people. I love Eve for the depth of its virtual world. I love that it has player-run banks and poker dens, chain letters and IPOs, characters like Chribba and even (grudgingly) Istvaan. I love that it let me do fucking Kon Tiki in space, like that episode of DS9 with the solar sail ship. That was wonderfully geeky, and an experience like no other computer gaming has afforded me.

I love Warhammer Online for the clean, quick delivery of PvP action, the interesting classes, the nice variety of zones. I like that it's the first level-based mmog where I've gone from avoiding PvP to excelling at it. (Even in Eve, I was a very casual fighter.)

I love City of Heroes because it allows me to express myself through my character in a way no other game does. I love hanging out at the AH and reading people's bios or taking pictures of different costumes. Now matter how awesome a character I come up with, there's always something out there that makes me wish I'd thought of it.

I object to people slagging off Eve simply because they don't like that style of game because Eve is pretty much the only one of its kind. All the other games went the theme park route of WoW/WAR/EQ/CoH where players grind through the content. Eve gave us a game where the players are the content. Is it a perfect implementation of the idea? No. Is it a game I want to play? No. But it's fucking awesome that it's there for the people who do want to play it, and anyone who says otherwise can kiss my pasty Amarrian ass.

geldonyetich

Aug 2, 2006
Another interesting thing about this is that apparently BoB was "terrible, long-dead alliance and they all know it" with only 70 players playing it during prime time. At least according to the guy who masterminded its downfall (7:15-7:20 on the video).

I don't know where these thousands of players who are playing EVE Online every night are, but apparently they're not anywhere near where this transpired. It's enough to make me wonder if CCP might be exaggerating those online player counts.

geldonyetich

Aug 2, 2006
Oswald D Grant said:
I object to people slagging off Eve simply because they don't like that style of game because Eve is pretty much the only one of its kind. All the other games went the theme park route of WoW/WAR/EQ/CoH where players grind through the content. Eve gave us a game where the players are the content. Is it a perfect implementation of the idea? No. Is it a game I want to play? No. But it's fucking awesome that it's there for the people who do want to play it, and anyone who says otherwise can kiss my pasty Amarrian ass.
Just so you know - yes, putting our recent raking eachother's faces with claws behind us - I really don't have a problem with people who play EVE Online and enjoy it.

All I was saying - and no, I'm not going to start this up again - all I was saying is that it's not the type of game I want to play.

The trouble is, I explained why. Naturally, that's going to sound negative because I'm explaining the specific reasons I don't like it. However, if you interpret this as "digging into the game" there's not a thing I can do about it.

If you're going to take this cheeky, "kiss my Amarran ass, it's fine" attitude you might as well say nothing. It's not like you're in any danger of changing your mind, so why should you expect others?

I was equally at fault for even bothering to defend my position. Why should I care if you disagree with my opinion? That's how opinions work.

If there was some fact (as opposed to opinion) at the bottom of this matter, that would be something to bicker over. However, as I was never saying there's no reason other people who are not me could enjoy EVE Online, there was nothing to argue over.

Unfortunately, it seems my great distaste towards the game spilled over in such a way that I framed it in a way that it made it sound like people who play the game must be deluding themselves, called myself a "gaming purist," I started getting into the nitty gritty of what makes an entertaining game, and well - one snafu after another, straight into the trash it went.

You can take that as an apology if you want, but honestly, if we apologized for something like this, we'd never be done. It was stupid human nature, I'm ashamed of its existence, and unfortunately any involved parties had to exhibit it as well or else there'd have been nothing to bounce it off of.

geldonyetich

Aug 2, 2006
smallharmlesskitten said:
geldonyetich said:
[I don't know where these thousands of players who are playing EVE Online every night are, but apparently they're not anywhere near where this transpired. It's enough to make me wonder if CCP might be exaggerating those online player counts.]
me looking at the login screen right now shows 50,000 people playing
Sure. However, what's the code behind the login screen really doing? How is the count derived?

Is it: Start with 0 when servers come up, add 1 every time somebody logs in, subtract 1 every time somebody logs out.

You'd think so. Taking a constant count of online players would be too CPU intensive, so this add one/subtract one code is the most likely.

However, the thing is, we don't know for sure. It could be they have some other kind of formula where maybe they count players as "online" if they logged in during the past several hours. Some kind of passive system justified with some line like, "well, if we removed them immediately, then people might try gaming the system by doing offline when they're online."

Worse case scenario, maybe they slowly add in 45000 fake players to their count.

I'm paranoid? Maybe. However, can you prove that your faith is justified? It's not like CCP has government regulation breathing down their neck here. I prefer to call it open-mindedness.

I'd like to see a population map, myself. Where do most of the players hang out? Apparently, nowhere near BoB when this transpired.

smallharmlesskitten

Not David Bowie
Apr 3, 2008
geldonyetich said:
You do realise that the BoB thing wasn't a battle... and BoB is pretty much the only alliance to be in that area permanently.

also the biggest hub is Jita... I have seen in excess of 1200 people there. Jita is a looooong way from Delve

geldonyetich

Aug 2, 2006
geldonyetich said:
You do realise that the BoB thing wasn't a battle... and BoB is pretty much the only alliance to be in that area permanently.
That's exactly what I realize. It wasn't a battle because they were pretty much able to walze all those ships out the door without anyone getting in the way because there was apparently nobody there to notice. At least according to the guy in that video.

also the biggest hub is Jita... I have seen in excess of 1200 people there. Jita is a looooong way from Delve
Is that highsec space?

Nevermind, a little digging around and I answered my own question [http://eve.wikia.com/wiki/Regions:The_Forge].

So, you've found there to be 1200 players in the busiest place in the game. Maybe a few hundred in surrounding systems. If BoB's an example of the average alliance, we can assume there's about 70-250 online during prime time. How many alliances that substantial - maybe 50 or so [http://go-dl1.eve-files.com/media/corp/UNL/influence.png]. Maybe throw in a thousand or two newbies zooming around the universities...

Hmm, I'm not sure how they reach 50,000 players. Yeah, some kind of population map would be cool to explain that.

smallharmlesskitten

Not David Bowie
Apr 3, 2008
geldonyetich said:
geldonyetich said:
That's exactly what I realize. It wasn't a battle because they were pretty much able to walze all those ships out the door without anyone getting in the way because there was apparently nobody there to notice. At least according to the guy in that video.

Is that highsec space?

Nevermind, a little digging around and I answered my own question [http://eve.wikia.com/wiki/Regions:The_Forge].

So, you've found there to be 1200 players in the busiest place in the game. Maybe a few hundred in surrounding systems. If BoB's an example of the average alliance, we can assume there's about 70 online during prime time. Maybe throw in a thousand or two newbies zooming around the universities... hmm, I'm not sure how they reach 50,000 players.

Yeah, some kind of population map would be cool to explain that.
You really want the population map? I'll go get the population map

geldonyetich

Aug 2, 2006
Would be cool, my google failed has failed to locate a population map thus far. I found an alliance influence map [http://go-dl1.eve-files.com/media/corp/UNL/influence.png] but that's not the same thing as "where are these 50,000ish players hanging around at prime time?" Especially when I rarely see that many when I'm flying about, and apparently this giant BoB alliance of many corps has 70ish players online at best.

Oswald D Grant

Feb 6, 2009
geldonyetich said:
all I was saying is that it's not the type of game I want to play.
geldonyetich said:
One player's overwhelming incredible boredom of EVE Online
geldonyetich said:
It's enough to make me wonder if CCP might be exaggerating those online player counts.
geldonyetich said:
Worse case scenario, maybe they slowly add in 45000 fake players to their count.
Then why are you spending so much time and clutching at so many straws to make the game look bad, Yetich?

Why did you lie about the content of the chatlogs, Yetich? Inquiring minds want to know.

smallharmlesskitten

Not David Bowie
Apr 3, 2008
I can't find the map but EVE jsut hit 52,000 people. A new record and was confirmed by EVE TV.

EDIT: I'll screenshot one tomorrow. The big red blobs will be the Trade hubs

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
Okay, I lubed up the spreadsheets. Who wants to bend over and take it first?

He doesn't sound like he's clutching at straws to me, he sounds like he's laying out logical and reasonable arguments for his concerns. Which is totally against the spirit of the internet, the fool. I'm usually the first to cry failboy but I don't smell it here.