Ever been trolled by a single player game/campaign ?

Juventus

Feb 28, 2011
ever had the feeling that the developers of a game were trolling by putting something in the game that just pissed you off?
this could be a game play mechanic, boss fight, story, level,character..etc. but no glitches. mainly because glitches are not intentional.

-the princess is in another castle!

-pokemon games, when you choose a starting monster, say fire, your rival will ALWAYS go for the one type that is strong against yours.

-pokemon games. Your rival always shows up after you had a tough fight and most of your party is knocked out.

there is more, but just thinking back on the pokemon ones pisses me off.

SnootyEnglishman

May 26, 2009
Ghosts and Goblins for the NES. In that you had to complete the whole thing twice just to beat the game and even then you had to be wearing specific items and not die once.

I'd also like to nominate Battletoads as well.

ultrachicken

Dec 22, 2009
Fable TLC has a level with infinitely respawning undead. So, your instinctual response is to simply run for the goal, right? "Well, fuck you," says Fable, "Now, the undead will spawn in the center of the road, knocking you over every time you try to walk forward!" So, next response is to go around the undead spawning in the path. But, wait, the path gets so narrow that you can't avoid them! All you can do is walk forward, get knocked over, fight baddy, and run, get knocked over, etc.

Chamale

Sep 9, 2009
In Darkest of Days, there's a secret ending with a special credits sequence. You can wander around an area for a while as the credits display. At the end of the credits, it says "Prepare to be griefed!" and the game spawns 20 enemy troops almost on top of the player.

If you lose the fight, you have to go back and watch all 10 minutes of the unskippable ending cutscene if you want to try again.

Apr 28, 2008
Little Lamplight.

The kids are immortal, and they know it. They use this knowledge to endlessly act tough, make you do stuff for them so you can get through their ply-wood defenses, and just generally ***** you out constantly.

Stammer

Apr 16, 2008
I feel trolled constantly when I play Civilization V... any time anything bad ever happens in that game it's always blamed on me, and I can never win a game anymore without having gone to war with every AI at least once.

"The AI dislikes you because your friend denounced you."

"The AI dislikes you because your friend backstabbed you"

"The AI dislikes you because one of their friends dislikes you."

"The AI dislikes you because you started out where they wanted to start out."

"The AI dislikes you because you're friends with people they want to be friends with."

(After someone declares war on me) "The AI dislikes you because you're a warmongering menace to the world"

"The AI dislikes you because you refused their offer of [Pearls] in exchange for [1000 gold, Whales, Gold, Silver, Gems, Incense, Wine, 5 Horses, 10 Iron, Open Borders, 3 of your cities, and going to war with your own best friend]

Osaka117

Feb 20, 2011
This has happened to me lots of times where I felt that I was being trolled by a game, I just can't remember any except one off the top of my head.

The one I can remember is in Red Dead Redemption where every time I thought the game was getting near the end, it just kept going and going. I don't want to get specific in case of spoilers, but if you've played the game then you probably know what I mean.

Oh, and I know it's been said and will be said many times more, but it can't be said enough. GARY OAK GARY OAK GARY OAK.

Juventus

Feb 28, 2011
Super Robot Wars OG Saga: Endless Frontier. the baddies all have health that range from tousands of points to millions of health points. you have to fight them for a while to kill them, yet the mother fornicators can kill a member of your party in one turn.

i have raged countless time during fights in that game.

Fr]anc[is

May 13, 2010
Irridium said:
Little Lamplight.

The kids are immortal, and they know it. They use this knowledge to endlessly act tough, make you do stuff for them so you can get through their ply-wood defenses, and just generally ***** you out constantly.
Omnomnom... I don't know what you're talking about. They aren't invincible. ...omnomnom...

Katana314

Oct 4, 2007
SUPER MEAT BOY ALL THE WAY.

Mario has the "princess in another castle" routine at the end of each world. Meat Boy gets that routine at the end of every LEVEL.

Zechnophobe

Feb 4, 2010
Juventus said:
ever had the feeling that the developers of a game were trolling by putting something in the game that just pissed you off?
this could be a game play mechanic, boss fight, story, level,character..etc. but no glitches. mainly because glitches are not intentional.

-the princess is in another castle!

-pokemon games, when you choose a starting monster, say fire, your rival will ALWAYS go for the one type that is strong against yours.

-pokemon games. Your rival always shows up after you had a tough fight and most of your party is knocked out.

there is more, but just thinking back on the pokemon ones pisses me off.
I rather think the ending of Borderlands was a rather big Troll. "You opened the Vault!" DIEEEIEIEIEIEIEE.

DasDestroyer

Apr 3, 2010
The very ending of FO:NV. I died at least 10 times there, before I realized that without a riot shotgun and a warehouse of ammo, I am screwed.

FollowUp

Mar 25, 2010
Chapter 25 of the Gameboy Fire Emblem
Goddamnit.

Seriously, every time I play this chapter someone important dies. One of the main enemy's hit's you FOUR TIMES

p3t3r

Apr 16, 2009
i wanna be the guy. the creator pretty much admitted he trolles people with that game

Blueruler182

May 21, 2010
Can't believe nobody's said this yet, but I believe there's a certain cake that's status was questionable for the entirety of a game.

Other than that, Fallout 3. Maybe I just suck at it (probably), but the only time I tried to pick someone's pocket the entire town of megaton decided to chase me into the bar where I swiftly hid at the tip of the stairs with a sledge hammer and wound down the towns numbers over the next two hours.

Juventus

Feb 28, 2011
FollowUp said:
Chapter 25 of the Gameboy Fire Emblem
Goddamnit.

Seriously, every time I play this chapter someone important dies. One of the main enemy's hit's you FOUR TIMES
yeah, especially if the one that dies is one of your more powerful characters. for those that don't know, when a character in your party (that is not story essential) dies, he\she is lost forever and you could not use that character again.