Ever been trolled by a single player game/campaign ?

Meteor4118

Apr 7, 2008
Final Fantasy 13, When they drop you on Gran Pulse, There's no explanation, and No direction, They make you run through a giant field, full of things that can kill you, to get to the next area, where you need to grind, while running from the biggest enemies, who WILL kill you no question asked.

There's a lot more of it as well. Like when you upgrade items, Like how if you upgrade a champion's badge, which is one of the best items in the game, it simply turns into an item that makes items drop more often, which you can buy for a measly, meager amount of gil.

Chicago Ted

Jan 13, 2009
Fucking ARMA, played it for the first time tonight and that game seems to do nothing but piss me off.

First problem is when I go to the firing range. Now, in every other FPS, the mouse seems to work fine, but in ARMA, it feels like I'm riding an untamed bucking horse. It simply refuses to do what I want it to do. Slowly drag my mouse to the side to aim over, and it crawls at such a slow pace that by the time I get it lined up, the target's already gone down and a new one has come up. Speed up anymore and, hey, I've turned 90 degrees to either side, fancy that. I can't get any damn consistency with it. That and the fact that everytime I fail the challenge because I don't hit the targets only for the same loop of dialogue to be repeated that essentially says "You suck".

Second is when I decided to pass the firing range and go to the anti-tank area. I pull the jeep over and get told that I can either do some anti-tank training or go through a mock combat exercise. I decide to go do the anti-tank training. While I struggle to figure out how exactly the inventory works, I hear a crack off in the distance. I try to close the menu to figure out what it was, but before I do, I hear a second one, and my guy falls over dead. Apparently it decided that the guys from the mock training exercise would not care for my decline, send a sniper to the hills, and take me down with a single round of friendly fire, so I'd have to do the tutorial over again.

To sum it up,

FUCK. THIS. GAME.

When else has a tutorial ever pulled such a dick move on the player?

Veylon

Aug 15, 2008
Dungeon Lords. It seemed like every situation was one of those where you can't advance because of a simple easily-resolveable problem and instead have to go through hell and back for no reason.

Problem: The very first gate. There's been a kidnapping, so no one's allowed in or out of the town. You have a letter to deliver; it would be a negligible task for one of the guards to get someone to deliver it.

Solution: Crawl through a sewer, a ruined building, a mine, and another ruined building to bypass the gate, all of them thoroughly infested with hordes of monsters.

Problem: You have a message to deliver to the Elves. They've built a barricade and will let no one through. You could just, y'know, deliver the message to them, but apparently you can't.

Solution: Trudge through a forest of monsters, swim across a lake, and enter a shrine, also filled with monsters, which somehow convinces the Elves to let you by.

What has to be the most offensive thing about this game is that there's this priestess and church who've determined that you are the Chosen One and yet they will not so much as lift one finger to help. I have never wanted to punch a video game character's lights out so hard; I would've decked her if I could've.

I gave up after the Elves. I was worried the game was nothing but delivering messages to people who will go great lengths not to receive them.

Sleekgiant

Redlin5 made my title :c
Jan 21, 2010
Sly 2 Band of Thieves

Got caught by Dimitris thugs and they chased me down to the waterfront where I happened to jump in a boat.

-they shoot me
-fall in the water
-get back on boat
-repeat endlessly till I die

:mad: I was mad.

SIXVI06-M

Jan 7, 2011
Juventus said:
Super Robot Wars OG Saga: Endless Frontier. the baddies all have health that range from tousands of points to millions of health points. you have to fight them for a while to kill them, yet the mother fornicators can kill a member of your party in one turn.

i have raged countless time during fights in that game.
I just looked that up (being a big fan of ALL the old Super Robot Taisen/Wars series - right since they were on the SNES, to me watching my bro play it on the PS2 and 3 - I dont have a PS anything, so I can't play the new series :( ).

Is that the one where tits pop out of everything? in any case- I know such a thing exist, and to think... wow the series has gone down... waaay down. Funnily enough, the SRW/SRT series used to be exclusive to the Japanese Super Robot and Mecha fandom - translations and dubs were rare... and this OG thing is marketed towards Americans... Funny to think this is what the Japanese think of the Western world (mind you, they're not much better, but funny nonetheless).

If this OG is anything like the old series - I'd play it with the oldskool tactical approach - get your overpowered units to tank - I know the AI will always aim for the weakest units first to dispose of them - so make sure you know what the move and weapon distance of your enemy units are (they should always have that option). SRW series usually have terrain bonuses too - make sure your weaker units travel within high cover-terrain. And always use your spirit powers (ALL SRW series should have this, its not SRW if it doesnt). Also - try not moving for a few turns, there are some instances the super-big-bad-bosses don't move unless you've moved past a certain threshold, so you can deal with what's already decided to come for you, and then you can deal with the more powerful units sequentially.

Judgement101

Mar 29, 2010
Ummmmm, Anarcy in Bulletstorm. I needed 500 points and there was a vertigo challange so I kick a guy of the map (Challange is worth 500) then a train comes by basically going Trollolololololololol and kills the guys, I get 100 points, i lost my highscore (it matters to me, yes im petty), game laughs at me.

SIXVI06-M

Jan 7, 2011
Also on a separate note: OT: Dragon's Lair.
http://au.ps3.ign.com/articles/113/1137171p1.html

The only game to be entirely comprised of quick time events. It was funny yes - but it gets blood-cryingly frustrating watching Dirk get killed for the billionth time because you didn't press the right button, at the exact right time, in the exact right place, and there's not much telling you actually any of that.

Juventus

Feb 28, 2011
SIXVI06-M said:
Juventus said:
Super Robot Wars OG Saga: Endless Frontier. the baddies all have health that range from tousands of points to millions of health points. you have to fight them for a while to kill them, yet the mother fornicators can kill a member of your party in one turn.

I just looked that up (being a big fan of ALL the old Super Robot Taisen/Wars series - right since they were on the SNES, to me watching my bro play it on the PS2 and 3 - I dont have a PS anything, so I can't play the new series :( ).

Is that the one where tits pop out of everything?
this game is more of an rpg. think of the averege jrpg, it turn based where you click attack, but you have to string combos together. your units don't move across terrain.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ey6EJKVMlJ4

and yes it's the one where tits pop out everywhere. i loved the humor of it, but then again i am easily amused.

SIXVI06-M

Jan 7, 2011
Blueruler182 said:
Can't believe nobody's said this yet, but I believe there's a certain cake that's status was questionable for the entirety of a game.

Other than that, Fallout 3. Maybe I just suck at it (probably), but the only time I tried to pick someone's pocket the entire town of megaton decided to chase me into the bar where I swiftly hid at the tip of the stairs with a sledge hammer and wound down the towns numbers over the next two hours.
That's what quicksaves are for. And thats why you don't steal if your fingers are all thumbs. Work on your stealing skills before you go stealing :p.

SIXVI06-M

Jan 7, 2011
Juventus said:
SIXVI06-M said:
Juventus said:

Is that the one where tits pop out of everything?
this game is more of an rpg. think of the averege jrpg, it turn based where you click attack, but you have to string combos together. your units don't move across terrain.

and yes it's the one where tits pop out everywhere. i loved the humor of it, but then again i am easily amused.
Bugger, no tanking and no terrain bonuses then.

The old SRW/SRT used to play like an RPG-TBS(turn based strategy) - you can level up your pilots and upgrade your mecha. I loved it. I played SRW4 in such a meticulous fashion that my ace pilot was 2 levels higher than the final boss (using the Luck spirit power - which gives you double or triple the amount of experience and gold in a kill and such), which wasn't even supposed to be possible :p.

Blueruler182

May 21, 2010
SIXVI06-M said:
Blueruler182 said:
Can't believe nobody's said this yet, but I believe there's a certain cake that's status was questionable for the entirety of a game.

Other than that, Fallout 3. Maybe I just suck at it (probably), but the only time I tried to pick someone's pocket the entire town of megaton decided to chase me into the bar where I swiftly hid at the tip of the stairs with a sledge hammer and wound down the towns numbers over the next two hours.

That's what quicksaves are for. And thats why you don't steal if your fingers are all thumbs. Work on your stealing skills before you go stealing :p.
Hey, I didn't need to nuke megaton. I did it by hand, bitches!

cgmetallica1981

Mar 15, 2010
Fallout: New Vegas. Seriously? A damn slide-show for an ending? Not to mention that it was a terrible ending, the narrator blatantly stated I screwed everything up and made the Mojave into an anarchy.

nico74

Feb 11, 2007
You said pokemon and now I can't think of anything else so...the caves in the older pokemon games. With the weaker graphics and my lower skills I would spend hours in the caves fighting Zubat after FREAKING Zubat.

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
Dragon Age: Origins in so many ways...

Also my bridge officers in the Assimilated Mission in STO. "Oh look, Borg," they say. Borg that are inactive. "Well, we'll fix that" they say. Then they proceed to lob a plasma grenade into the alcoves pissing off the entire ship. Thanks guys. Bonus points in that they love doing it near interlink nodes which effectively make the Borg unkillable.

Light 086

Feb 10, 2011
The only thing that comes to mind is when a game wants you to beat the game on a lower difficulty just so you can play a higher difficulty.

KEM10

Oct 22, 2008
Stammer said:
(After someone declares war on me) "The AI dislikes you because you're a warmongering menace to the world"
Haha, ya.

Killer 7. If you don't know what I'm talking about, play it.

FFHAuthor

Aug 1, 2010
FarCry 2, the checkpoints. You would think that at least ONE of them would realize I'm working for their side. But as far as I can tell, every checkpoint seems to be manned by the same faction, the one that HATES YOU no matter WHAT YOU DO. Along with every other location in the game that boasts guards of any kind...they all want you dead.

And buddies. Sure, you can have them come up with something that helps you out in a mission, but no matter what happens in your mission, they ALWAYS need rescued at the end. They simplify one firefight to add another, thanks guys.

And let's not chat about the fact that the trump card for any enemy fireteam in that game is 'run him over with a jeep'. Clever, yes. Suprising, yes. Effective, yes. The first time. Fifteen guys with assault rifles and LMGs, fine, I can handle that. One guy with a Jeep Liberty and that's all she wrote.

Evilpigeon

Feb 24, 2011
Some of the random lol ur dead moments in Baldurs gate. Every time my character gets randomly instant death spelled, I die a little inside :/

PlasmaFrog

Feb 2, 2009
Kanomi's older titles. I.E: Castlevania 64

You get through about half the game on easy mode and then it tells you to go play it on normal mode to advance. Or how about having to carry a vial of nitroglycerin through most of the castle without once jumping, sprinting, or falling because you'll have to do it all over again if you don't. Good lord, the nightmares of having to carry that stuff through a bunch of moving clock gears.