Ever been trolled by a single player game/campaign ?

Jelly ^.^

Mar 11, 2010
Treasure Island Dizzy.

"Oh, what's that, you want to pick something up underwater? Well, my little egg friend, you'd better make sure that your snorkel isn't at the top of your inventory list, or you will die :D

And you don't have a health bar either. And you don't have any spare lives. And if you don't find ALL the coins, you can't afford to leave the island at the end of the game. So good fucking luck, you'll need it little egg man. Because the guides infamously won't help you."

(Special shout out to the trolls at Commodore Format Magazine.)

Inchronica

Feb 3, 2011
Blueruler182 said:
Can't believe nobody's said this yet, but I believe there's a certain cake that's status was questionable for the entirety of a game.

Other than that, Fallout 3. Maybe I just suck at it (probably), but the only time I tried to pick someone's pocket the entire town of megaton decided to chase me into the bar where I swiftly hid at the tip of the stairs with a sledge hammer and wound down the towns numbers over the next two hours.
Hahaha! Something similar happened to me, I was in Megaton at that restaurant outside and instead of sitting down in a chair, I stole a cup of noodles ... whole town is like "U BASTARD!"
And kills me. Mind you, I was like level 2, So I had nothing.

bl4ckh4wk64

Walking Mass Effect Codex
Jun 11, 2010
Men of War. Every single thing in that game is the result of some sort of trolling. For example, the enemies AT rifles can turn my light tanks into a big firey deathball of fire with one shot. When I pick the rifle up to use it on their tracked jeeps, I knock the treads off. How the fuck is that fair?

dWintermut3

Jan 14, 2010
DasDestroyer said:
The very ending of FO:NV. I died at least 10 times there, before I realized that without a riot shotgun and a warehouse of ammo, I am screwed.
Thankfully at that point I had a bunch of land mines in my inventory I was saving them up to sell them.

That makes it a whole lot easier.

But yeah, the whole "no going back, oh and it's a heavily inventory-based game" thing was crappy.

Laurie Barnes

May 19, 2010
Devil May Cry. Any of them.

-Fight boss.
-Lose due to not having any upgrades early in the game or simply not knowing the exact mechanic by which you need to beat the boss. (You need to use Cerberus on Agni and Rudra in DMC3, because if you don't you will lose! You are fucked if you are a gunslinger and have only used firearms up until this point in the interest of intelligent self preservation)
-Repeat
-Unlock Easy Mode....
-Fuck you Game!

ON That note actually, I have one of the original copies of DMC3 fresh out of Japan. Not many people know this but a screw up in the translation of the game resulted in the "Normal" difficulty being harder than the "Dante Must Die" difficulty, and the enemies know it. So lets get this straight, Not only would playing in the next difficulty be easier, you have to complete the game to get it, before you have any essential upgrades, or you can/will just die a bunch and get offered the easy/"Pussy" mode. Troll Factor Five Achieved!

Jfswift

Hmm.. what's this button do?
Nov 2, 2009
SnootyEnglishman said:
Ghosts and Goblins for the NES. In that you had to complete the whole thing twice just to beat the game and even then you had to be wearing specific items and not die once.

I'd also like to nominate Battletoads as well.
Now that you mention it, I think Super Ghosts and Goblins on the Snes was the same, where you had to complete it twice and with the proper armor at the end.

Pirakahunter788

Feb 4, 2011
TU4AR said:
Zayren said:
Siding with the President and using the FEV, you mean? Because the whole point of that is that it would kill every single person who has mutated at all, which is basically everyone non-Enclave. Yeah, that's a little bit evil.
You've just purified the whole area. Clean humans can now begin to repopulate. Ghouls, mutants, all the threats to humanity are all wiped out.

But really, that wasn't what got me. It was just that bullshit fucking speech at the end. "Unfortunately..." No, fuck you game, you don't give me an option then give me shit when I choose to do it. Don't give me that crap, what sort of fucking morality system is this?
Exactly. The game nudges you on the shoulder saying "Hey, do this. It'll be fun", then it scolds you for choosing the wrong option. Reverse freaking psychology I tell you.
What I do find interesting, is that after you put in the FEV, and come back in Broken Steel (BS), if you drink any of the water that everyone has crates full of, you die. The reason why?
You were never actually born in the Vault. You were born in Rivet City, so therefore, your not as "pure" as Eden thought you were. Oops.

KEM10

Oct 22, 2008
crimson sickle2 said:
KEM10 said:
Stammer said:
(After someone declares war on me) "The AI dislikes you because you're a warmongering menace to the world"
Haha, ya.

Killer 7. If you don't know what I'm talking about, play it.
Which part trolled you, the part where two armored smiles appear right next to you, from opposite directions and insta-kill any member that isn't the mask.
That part, also all of the cut scenes. Especially the Russian Roulette and the ending.

Juventus

Feb 28, 2011
the shotgun in alpha protocol.

i had shoot the guy point blank range 5 times before he dies. wtf. most useless weapon in the game even when powered up. why can i one shot kill a guy with a pistol 20 meters away, but have to empty half my shells to kill oine guy in close range?

indigo prophecy. 1st half of game, create tension filled interesting story. second half of game, trolling of epic proportions begin.

FollowUp

Mar 25, 2010
InnerRebellion said:
FollowUp said:
Chapter 25 of the Gameboy Fire Emblem
Goddamnit.

Seriously, every time I play this chapter someone important dies. One of the main enemy's hit's you FOUR TIMES
The one with Lyn, Hector and Eliwood? If you say yes, I love you.
yes, that one. Very fun, just now getting into it. But so, freakin' frustrating.

AgDr_ODST

Cortana's guardian
Oct 22, 2009
ChupathingyX said:
Fallout 3.

The purifier is full of radiation? Oh well I'll just send in Fawkes, or Charon, or Sergeant RL-3, they're all immune to radiation, so it shouldn't be a problem.
Wait what? I can't send them in? Why?
My destiny? WTF is this, they're immune to radiation why should I or someone else die for no good reason?

Also Harold's death in Fallout 3 was like a troll punching you in the face over and over again considering there is no possible way to save harold no matter what you do.
well the Broken Steel add on did come along later on there is that... And define 'death' because I didn't have to kill Harold when I stumbled across Oasis..I mean sure he wanted to die but i convinced him to spread his gift across the wasteland

Savagezion

Mar 28, 2010
SnootyEnglishman said:
I'd also like to nominate Battletoads as well.
I second Battletoads for the racing part.

I will also add the last part of a stage in Contra where you are looking down a hall shooting at baddies down at the other end. I was freakin spectacular at the side scrolling part of the game but those end stage parts I sucked hardcore at.

ChupathingyX

Jun 8, 2010
AgDr_ODST said:
ChupathingyX said:
Fallout 3.

The purifier is full of radiation? Oh well I'll just send in Fawkes, or Charon, or Sergeant RL-3, they're all immune to radiation, so it shouldn't be a problem.
Wait what? I can't send them in? Why?
My destiny? WTF is this, they're immune to radiation why should I or someone else die for no good reason?

Also Harold's death in Fallout 3 was like a troll punching you in the face over and over again considering there is no possible way to save harold no matter what you do.
well the Broken Steel add on did come along later on there is that... And define 'death' because I didn't have to kill Harold when I stumbled across Oasis..I mean sure he wanted to die but i convinced him to spread his gift across the wasteland
The fact that Bethesda planted Harold in that very spot and no matter what you do he will never be free, which basically makes him dead and useless. The only way we're ever going to see him again is if we come back to the Capital Wasteland.

Also spreading his "gift" across the wasteland is stupid considering that's what the fricken GECKs were invented for. Yet in Fallout 3 for some reason activating the GECK kills you. How the hell does a Kit mostly full of seeds and soil blow up and kill you?

ReservoirAngel

Nov 6, 2010
I swear the cougars in Red Dead Redemption (and the bears too. oh, and the wolves) are just put in to utterly troll me.

EVERY time I think I'm going to arrive at an important destination without issue BAM! COUGAR TO THE FACE!

So I have to waste time and ammo putting the damn thing down...and WHY does it take TWO RIFLE SLUGS TO THE FACE TO KILL ONE FUCKING COUGAR?

Then there's the time when a cougar, a pack of wolves, or a bear will appear from the ether just off-camera and kill your horse, requiring you to slog to your destination on foot.

oh, AND there's the game's decision to include the feature whereby your horse can sometimes fall over dead mid-run FOR NO GOOD FUCKING REASON! seriously, WHO at Rockstar thought that feature was a good thing to include?

ASSHOLE GAME!

WolfEdge

Oct 22, 2008
Pretty much the entire story of Fable III.

It's been months since I put that game away, and I'm STILL pissed it never let me fight Reaver... and that the final boss was just a fat guy...

Fuckin' cocktease, the whole damn game...

Omegatronacles

Guardian Of Forever
Oct 15, 2009
SoranMBane said:
Fallout 3's ending:

My character: *Enters the control room after popping Rad-X and putting on the best radiation suit in the game, enters purifier activation code, then keels over dead for no apparent reason*

Me: "... WHUT."
I've seen a lot of people mentioning the ending to Fallout 3, and the whole Rad-X, radiation suit and whatnot. The part I didn't get when I played it was I finished the game with Fawkes as my companion. He's a fucking Super mutant. Immune to radiation. Super intelligent. Why the hell can't I tell him the code and get him to enter it in?

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Saint's Row (talking about 2 but this applies to the 1st as well)

*Driving in Stillwater is hell: Nobody can drive and people tend to merge into you at the worst possible time

*Snatch: The ho's are slow, stupid and they still ***** you out if you so much as hit a curb

I guess for Saint's Row 2, the game can be forgiven since you can break it by beating certain mini-games and unlocking unlimited ammo and a healing factor Logan would...probably consider something of a ripoff.

Left 4 Dead (1 and 2)

*The idea behind Boomer Bile. Not only does an enemy throw up on you as a means of attacking you, but that vomit attracts a hoard of zombies to nibble on your newly marinated player-character. It isn't spamy or overpowered, it's just the idea behind it that I see as being trollish.

On a final note: Guitar Hero 3. The difficulty from the second-to-last tier and the final tier is just sick. Playing against Lou is like Activision isn't just calling us noobs but is also trying to prove it (which they did for me when I was playing on expert...)