Ever feel sorry for the enemies you've killed in a game?

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
Slycne said:
I couldn't bring myself to kill a single person after having made this impassioned plea that they were people and not simply a means to an end. I had even spent the last several hours gearing up for a big final confrontation, but I hadn't brought any stun weapons with me.

I spent the next few hours cloak sprinting through groups, using all my energy bars to double KO them 2 at a time and strongly fighting the urge to mow them down with my battle riffle.
Yeah, I felt that way too. And then I just couldnt be arsed. So I mowed them down.

I felt this was in the infamous CoD2 level too. Although that wasnt enemies as such. But I loved it! The level made me feel something! And something negative! Fantastic work.

Also in Splinter Cell: DA when you are ordered to execute some guy. Very cool. I love when media makes me feel stuff. Whatever feeling it may be.

Aprilgold

Apr 1, 2011
The Worms in any Worms game, felt like a ass because I designed my team's bios to be all this cheery stuff. Then when they die I get more mad and kill the other ones faster, but then I think back to the cheery stuff and wimper, because I just killed a thing that was just following orders. OH, in the DLC for Amnesia the Dark Decent, the people you kill, oh god that always brings me to tears.
;__;

Zathras

Nov 28, 2004
The only time I've felt bad about an enemies elimination was a quest in WoW where you have a peace loving Ogre by the name of Lunk who doesn't want you to kill Dark Iron Dwarves. So to knock them out he sits on them instead.

If I was the Dwarf I'd rather die than have an Ogre sit on me.

genericusername64

Jun 18, 2011
Packie_J said:
Killing Sif in Dark Souls. Why From Soft? Whyyyy?!

He's just a huge adorable wolf with 20-foot buster sword on his mouth. The way he limps when he reaches low health just crushes my heart. T_T
Moonlit butterfly, it broke my heart.

Ithera

Apr 4, 2010
When playing mount and blade. when a battle goes my way some enemies will turn tail and flee. I often feel bad about running them down with sword and lance.

I think I kill way to many people to be considered honorable.Despite my illusions of what i do and how I act, I am nothing more than a petty warlord.

Psycho78

Jan 12, 2011
Gotta agree with the grunts in Halo. They are annoying little twerps, but why am I mowing through them exactly?

CalPal

Apr 25, 2011
There's one game that stands out for me when it comes to killing people you feel sorry for:

ME Series - When you're killing all the husks, it makes me sad to think they were once all humans, and it makes me even more furious at the Reapers, who simply give not a single shit in their pursuit for complete galactic extinction of all the races. And then there's Saren... wow, that was the most depressing guy you had to kill, especially if you pull off the Paragon Persuade options.

Wekub

Mar 22, 2011
A few weeks after the island shooting in Norway, I was playing Battlefield 2 with a friend in Oslo, saw an enemy player and shot him while he was swimming across a river. When I immediately after noticed the similarity to the situation many of Breivik's victims found themselves in, it gave me quite an unpleasant feeling. :|

ABLb0y

Aug 27, 2010
All of the Drowning Doom in Brutal Legend. Mostly because Eddie's such a dick about it.

Thyunda

May 4, 2009
Okay, now I feel this has to be said. What's with all the people saying "how can you feel sorry for a bunch of 1s and 0s?"

We're NOT feeling sorry for 1s and 0s. Nobody regrets killing an avatar. The whole point of this is that those pixels represent characters, even if they're Nameless Goon #78. To see them only as things to shoot at shows a desperate narrow-mindedness. It was Alfred Hitchcock who famously said "It's not what the audience sees, it's what they don't see," and yet, people seem incapable of looking past the stuff presented onscreen.

So. For all intents and purposes, those red-jacketed Italians in the service of the Borgia family exist to get in Ezio's way and to end his quest. No matter how fast they try to run, or how much they beg, the player will only ever see them as such...unless like most people in this thread, they are capable of seeing through the obvious. Those Borgia guards are not Borgia themselves. They don't even know who Ezio is, beyond the fact he's a cloaked murderer. Do they know the connection between the people he's killed? Of course they bloody don't. Chances are, they never knew what a bastard Il Carnefice was, outside of his personal guard. They don't worship Cesare to the point where Ezio has to die...they simply need to support their families, and I guarantee a guard who lets his boss die won't be getting work in Rome anytime soon.

How many people cried when Scar batted Mufasa off the cliff and into the stampede? What's that? That was an emotional scene? I fail to see how, it was just some colours on a screen.

There is very rarely a two-dimensional character. Just listening to thugs in Arkham City says a lot about them. I notice that in a lot of conversations, only one participant is actually a dick, the rest are quite well-behaved, just trying to get by. Remember that Strange captured every criminal, even if their sentences were already spent.

It's perfectly normal to feel pity for the virtual people you kill. It's actually worrying that 'living out your fantasies' entails the mass-murder of many, many people.

EDIT: An example of my own - playing Firefight on Halo: Reach, I normally have no reservations about shooting Grunts. Yeah, I feel bad for them. But in large numbers, they'll make a mess of a Spartan in no time. But, one lone grunt dashed across the field in front of the bridge, and I quickly hit him with a DMR shot. This is where it got pitiful. He fell forward, and rolled a little bit, coming to a halt a little distance away from where he'd taken the bullet. Just that pathetic little flop he did after the bullet hit him spoke volumes about the brutality of Reach's defence.

Pirakahunter788

Feb 4, 2011
The only time I really feel sorry for killing anyone or anything, is when my "enemy" can't defend oneself. Either due to no weapon, having given up prior, or is actually somewhat innocent, and is being brainwashed or controlled.

Pandabearparade

Mar 23, 2011
Often, yes. In Dragon Age 2 you are railroaded into killing people you -agree- with, regardless of what side you're on. You can't hold up a hand and call for a truce to talk it out, you have to kill swarms of people on your own side because they contrive reasons to attack you on sight.

I feel sorry for the members of the Enclave in Fallout 3. They are just doing what the NCR is doing, trying to make the world a better place.

R5-Reject

Nov 19, 2009
That depends on how you define Enemy. At the End of ToS Dawn of the new world I pretty much destroyed Lloyd. Felt like shit after.

Clive Howlitzer

Jan 27, 2011
If it is an actual character then yes. However I find it very hard to care about nameless enemies that are just meant to give me XP or serve as obstacles. However if I am given the choice of killing obstacles or bypassing them another way, I usually choose not to kill them.

Pirakahunter788

Feb 4, 2011
Pandabearparade said:
I feel sorry for the members of the Enclave in Fallout 3. They are just doing what the NCR is doing, trying to make the world a better place.
The Enclave are trying to rebuild an image of the US government that was in place before the bombs fell. I had respect for John Henry Eden, but the Enclave as a whole sought to rid the wasteland of imperfections, mostly anything born outside the Enclave.

The NCR however, tried to hold to the old world values, such as liberty, law, and democracy. They're trying to order and progress within the wasteland.

The NCR, I like. Enclave, not so much.

Breaker deGodot

Apr 14, 2009
A couple. The Colossi made me feel like a massive dick to kill them, but I think the worst would be System Shock 2. The hybrids in particularly often scream "I'M SORRY!" OR "KILL ME!" as you brain them. Funny, I think that was supposed to make me feel better about killing them, but it didn't work at all.

Zeraki

WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOOOR!?
Legacy
Feb 9, 2009
New Jersey
Country
United States
The Rachni Queen in Mass Effect.

I tried it with my renegade Shepard after having completed the game as a Paragon... but I just couldn't do it. After that cinematic I had to load a previous save, because of how horrible I felt for doing it.

Not actually an enemy, but I accidentally killed my horse one time in the middle of a firefight in Red Dead Redemption. I went into dead-eye mode and the horse walked out right in front of me, and it locked onto his head. When I let go of the button... yeah I felt terrible.

Uzi-Bazooka

Jul 6, 2011
In the GoldenEye Wiimake (the only version of the game I've played), I played multiplayer before ever starting the singleplayer campaign. In multiplayer mode, you can play as any of the characters from the game, including the henchmen. I actually started gravitating towards henchmen characters because their camouflaged uniforms provided a large advantage. Then, I started the singleplayer, and after playing as all of these people, I had to kill them. I felt like I had actually gotten to know number 51, like he was a part of myself.

However, as the missions got tougher, I began to care less and less about them, once they just became obstacles to plow through. But we had each other, for however brief a time.