Ever feel sorry for the enemies you've killed in a game?

BakaSmurf

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2008
I simply cannot bring myself to kill hostile soldiers in the Metal Gear games, especially in the Big Boss games in which you can recruit any random-ass soldier to join your cause and become a full-on playable character, knowing that they each have personalities and little quotes giving some insight into their character makes killing them feel just damn wrong.

6_Qubed

Mar 19, 2009
I felt bad about killing the guard dogs in that mansion in Baldur's Gate, Dark Alliance 2. Poor doggies. They were just protecting their home. :(

ON THE OTHER HAND

One of my main motivators for levelling up Illusion in Oblivion was so I could paralyze deer and punch them to death. Seriously, fuck deer.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Tank207 said:
The Rachni Queen in Mass Effect.

I tried it with my renegade Shepard after having completed the game as a Paragon... but I just couldn't do it. After that cinematic I had to load a previous save, because of how horrible I felt for doing it.

Not actually an enemy, but I accidentally killed my horse one time in the middle of a firefight in Red Dead Redemption. I went into dead-eye mode and the horse walked out right in front of me, and it locked onto his head. When I let go of the button... yeah I felt terrible.
Im gonna have to second this, on my 3rd play though I was going renegade and I decided to kill her also, it was amazingly hard to press the button to do it, kinda felt like crap afterwards.

TitanAtlas

Oct 14, 2010
When i had to kill The Boss in metal gear solid 3...

Even before i realised she was not a traitor... the sense of honour and sentiment involved in the fight, made em not want to kill The Boss...

Also mind-controlled enemies in wich i find they were actually good people.... that always sticks a blade in the heart for me.

snappydog

Sep 18, 2010
I find that a lot of characters get harder to fight on second or third playthroughs - take Axel from KHII. First time I fought him (as Roxas) I was fine with it, he was trying to kidnap or kill me after all. Then I found out they used to be best friends. That Axel was only trying to bring Roxas back so they could be like they were in the old days. That made fighting him a lot more emotionally impacting. Not to mention Xion in 358/2, especially since everybody then forgot her :( :( :( I WILL NEVER FORGET YOU XION.
Oh, and mooks in Dynasty Warriors, purely because they just do not stand a chance.

LunarCircle

Nov 10, 2009
First time I played Assassins Creed:

I was riding my horse on the way to Damascus; came across a guard and slashed him at full gallop. The guy released a drawn-out scream, hit the ground and kept twitching for a few seconds while his scream slowly died down.

First time I was freaked out by a game enemy's death. Had me questioning why the hell I'd do that to someone who was just standing around...

hailfire

Mar 5, 2011
strangely, I had no problem with no russian, and mowed down a good ten or twenty random people cause thats what everyone else was doing. fallout on the other hand, was difficult because oftentimes I would wear the wrong cloths, and end up haveing to kill my legion comarades. that made me quite sad...

Deathbagel

Apr 25, 2011
A lot of the dark brotherhood quests in oblivion. Probably most of them actually but particularly the one where you killed your guildmates. They greeted you all nicely then BAM, backstabbed!

Also, even though you couldn't control it, killing Andrew Ryan was really sad for me...

Korolev

No Time Like the Present
Jul 4, 2008
Well... in Fallout New Vegas, you sometimes encounter hostile coyotes.... and their pups. I like dogs and similar creatures a whole lot. I like puppies even more. But they attack you... so you've got to shoot them. I didn't feel very happy.

Also in New Vegas - if you side with Mr. House you have to wipe out... a certain faction. This faction is by no means very good, but they aren't evil. So while I sided with House because I honestly believed he had the best plan for Vegas.... I had to kill a faction I really didn't want to kill.

Belaam

Nov 27, 2009
Just those guards I threw off cliffs in Uncharted.

One moment, they're thinking about how they got into this gig because they were press-ganged into a dictator's army, hoping some day to join Blackwater, or some such and then the next, they are falling hundreds of feet to lie crushed and broken in the Tibetan tundra.

spielberg11

Aug 30, 2010
I've always felt guilty about the guards in Assassin's Creed II. Their just doing they're job. Their so stupid, they don't even know what Templars are, their just chatting about their pay and dinner and whatnot.

And then you stab them in the throat and pull them off a building.

...I always feel like a jerk after that.

hailfire

Mar 5, 2011
Worgen said:
Tank207 said:
The Rachni Queen in Mass Effect.

I tried it with my renegade Shepard after having completed the game as a Paragon... but I just couldn't do it. After that cinematic I had to load a previous save, because of how horrible I felt for doing it.

Not actually an enemy, but I accidentally killed my horse one time in the middle of a firefight in Red Dead Redemption. I went into dead-eye mode and the horse walked out right in front of me, and it locked onto his head. When I let go of the button... yeah I felt terrible.
Im gonna have to second this, on my 3rd play though I was going renegade and I decided to kill her also, it was amazingly hard to press the button to do it, kinda felt like crap afterwards.
I did it without hesitation, there must be something wrong with you guys. it's a freaking bug for gods sake...

Hisshiss

Aug 10, 2010
worldruler8 said:
The only enemy I felt bad killing, or indirectly killing, was the engineer in Halo: ODST. There was always a squad of Brutes nearby, and if you killed the Captain, an explosive device would trigger, killing the Engineer. The engineer would make sounds that sounded like an alien whale's cry for help, and you could tell the last thing it wanted to do was make the shields it did on the brutes nearby. Killing it was a tactical achievement, yet it certainly made me think trying to stealth through was the better option.
If I recall they actually mention that the brutes use those things as total slaves, so yeah, it's a pretty tragic situation.

Sep 30, 2010
I recently found my install disk for Age of Empires III and while playing I found that I feel really bad having an army of soldiers and cannons massacre a group of villagers while they tend the fields or chop wood in my conquest of an enemy.

CleverCover

Nov 17, 2010
I have to admit, this happens often to me.

As soon as anyone starts talking about their family or anything like their plans for after work, I get sad because their little pixel wife is never going to see them because I'm going to shoot the pixel guard in the back in order to get to my next objective.

Then I start wondering who's doing this because they just need the money to feed their pixel kids or who's actually psychotic and crazy and then I think of Sims and it all goes downhill from there.

Like in Assassin's Creed 2. This guy in bulky armor stalks complaining about how his wife was going to be upset because he was going to be late because the next person was late to change shifts. Then I stabbed both of them in the eye. After the timed part was over, I actually felt bad. Then I wondered how many people would seek revenge against Ezio for a random death during his pursuit of revenge and then I had to put the game down.

He never made it home that night. 'sniff'

tipp6353

Oct 7, 2009
on Mount and Blade Warband when the bots besiege one of my castles...so many guys killed by arrows, I feel sorry for them running up the siege ladders just to get shot in the head by a nord archer seconds later.

Ben Agar

Dec 4, 2010
Killing Ulysses at the end of The Lonesome road, reducing the poor bastard into a puddle of green goo with my plasma gun, after so much epic foreshadowing and he is just a well written, interesting character.

Tried to talk him down but failed miserably.

Also the Marked Men in Lonesome road, poor bastards.

SimpleJack

Feb 3, 2011
I felt bad for some of the people I knocked out in Deus Ex (I never killed anyone, too loud... -_-) cause in one of them you break their arm, I mean those police officers were just doing their job....jesus...I broke so many arms...

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
Use_Imagination_here said:
I mean yeah they allways attack you but you're the Goddamn Batman, they must be scared for their lifes.
There, fixed that for you.

Korolev said:
Well... in Fallout New Vegas, you sometimes encounter hostile coyotes.... and their pups. I like dogs and similar creatures a whole lot. I like puppies even more. But they attack you... so you've got to shoot them. I didn't feel very happy.
Me too. I hate killing animals of any kind in games because I love them so much in real life. I'll always give Coyotes a wide birth in NV because they only attack if you get really close. Close enough that they think you might threaten their little Coyote family... Oh dear. Same with the wolves in Metal Gear Solid too.

OT: I kinda felt bad about having killed all those Elites in Halo after they finally join the human's side. Same with the Vortagaunts in Half Life 2.

There was one quest in Oblivion, where you drink this potion which is supossed to give you strength or something, and then you must go to a village and slay some monsters. The monsters are regular Scamps and they're inside the houses and outside the houses... all just standing around curiously still. I slaughtered them and afterwards, once the potion wore off, I found out that they were actually normal humans and the potion had made me SEE them as monsters.

I tell you, nothing in the world could have eased my guilt after that quest! So much blood on my hands...