Ever read a book so bad that you actaully stopped reading?

agentorange98

Aug 30, 2011
Yep, every book I've had to read for school or in list format: Great Gatsby, Catcher and the Rye, Death of a Salesman, the Pearl

Smallells

Feb 18, 2010
Pride and Prejudice and Zombies.

MY. GOD.

I completely got that the book was going to be written in the same style as the original Pride and Prejudice, but when a book about ZOMBIES can't keep me interested (coming from someone who's been a big fan of the supernatural since the age of 4), I seriously start to doubt it's worth as a literary product.

Anyway, I read about thirty pages and never touched it again.

Crazycat690

Aug 31, 2009
Pretty much actually, it's alot more rare that I read a book that I find interesting enough to keep reading.

rapidoud

Feb 1, 2008
The Bible

LotR, two towers, had no idea what was going on (I was about 10 at the time), didn't care to go back to it.

JWRosser

Jul 4, 2006
Many times. Not necessarily because they were 'bad', but just because I didn't like them. For example, I stopped half way through Goblet of Fire because I was bored. I stopped a few pages in to Crime and Punishment because I just couldn't get in to it. There have only been a few books that I've stopped reading because I thought they were shit - one of which was signed bu an author who came into store (when I worked at Waterstone's) so I felt kind of bad...but the book was pretty awfully written.

LordFisheh

Dec 31, 2008
Innocent Mage, recommended by my sister. I just couldn't stand the hero, who had this infuriating attitude to everything. He'd be in the middle of the largest city, speaking to the rulers of his nation, brushing it all of as 'these city slickers with their politics and civilisation just don't understand the folksy blah de blah back home, a man's gotta do x, etc etc'. I mean okay, that could be an interesting basis for a character but there's such an overwhelming feeling that the author agrees with it and.... ugh. Also, it has a prophecy...

Jackle_666

Feb 23, 2010
The Da Vinci Code. I'm a pose snob and I couldn't slog through this for 6 pages let alone 600. Even just looking this up on Amazon and reading the sample is painful.

mionic

May 22, 2011
Yes. But then, it also happens that I stop reading a book because it doesn't get good until later on, and then I have missed n awesome book because of a poor intro.
Take for example "Thursday child". I got it to read for school. And if I wouldn't have HAD to read it I'd probably had stopped quite early in. But I read the whole book and it turned out to be pretty good. Just not the beginning. Therefore I fear that maybe some of the books I have put away "Because they where terrible" was more about their first parts being terrible, and not the whole book.

Count Igor

May 5, 2010
daftalchemist said:
Astoria said:
To Kill A Mockingbird. I could not read past the second page. The way it's written just bored the hell outta me.
Oh, I had totally forgotten about that book. And the worst part was it was for English class, and I couldn't be bothered to read the second half of the book at all.

I still passed though.
You have it easy - We had to read it as an entire class. Twice. Then spent months analyzing it and writing a 4 page assessment on it.
And you know what we found out just before the half term holiday?
THAT WE'RE HAVING A SECOND FUCKING TEST ON IT.
I mean jesus christ. Can't teachers just accept that not all books have been based on ones like that? And that most people just don't like them anymore.

Gnoekeos

Apr 20, 2009
Well I finished the book but I haven't wanted to read another Harry Potter book since the end of the Goblet of fire.

Bloodastral

Sep 3, 2010
The Wheel of Time - I know a lot of people love this series but I didn't like the writing style. Give me David Gemmell or Karl Edward Wagner anyday.

Wieke

Quite Dutch.
Mar 30, 2009
Never actually. I am usually able to determine what books I will like. The only bad books I had to read were for school so stopping wasn't a real option.

Dec 27, 2010
Quite honestly, the Bible. I think I read it when I was a kid (I'm almost certain I read the Old Testament at least), but I tried to read it recently and I couldn't get past Genesis. Sorry to any Christians, but that book seems like such absolute trite when you don't believe in it (somewhat paradoxically). Other than that, the Boy in the Striped Pyjamas. I felt it was terribly written, and extremely dull. I only got about a 1/3 of the way through.

sheah1

Jul 4, 2010
The Dark Tower, how the hell do you make a shootout with an entire town boring?

retyopy

Aug 6, 2011
supersupersuperguy said:
Last year, my English teacher forced my class to read a book called "The Book of Negroes". It was just so bad that I couldn't finish it. It was confusing, overly long and boring because of ridiculously bad pacing. The characters were unlikeable and unrelatable. The protagonist was devoid of personality. No one liked the book.

The good thing was that it didn't matter because my teacher was going on maternity leave. The new teacher had way better taste.
The book... of negroes.

It really wouldn't be difficult for the new teacher to have better taste, would it?

Jackle_666 said:
The Da Vinci Code. I'm a pose snob and I couldn't slog through this for 6 pages let alone 600. Even just looking this up on Amazon and reading the sample is painful.
Mother of Pete, yes.