Ever read a book so bad that you actaully stopped reading?

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
Pride and Prejudice. There are no words to explain the amount of boredom I lived through just in the 20 or so first pages of the book. It was a part of my English course...but I just gave up. It was an awful experience. And I like to read.

NightmareWarden

Jul 2, 2011
Everyone knows how for English class we usually have to read a book that we really don't want to which was written by X (famous author who is already dead so that now teachers can say that every freaking sentence had so many additional meanings and the author can't say jack about it because they're dead, anyway...). Well, some of the books have been surprisingly good, like The Giver. The one which I'll probably stop reading (probably the 3rd or 2nd last person in the class who is still reading it and hasn't given up) is The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn. In my opinion it is a crappy book.

dragcrew

Aug 20, 2009
renegade7 said:
I WANTED to stop The Catcher in the Rye, but my teacher forced me. Same with all of my school books really.
Ah so I'm not the only one who hated that book

I also ould not finish Jane Eyre no matter how hard i tried...got about 30 pages in and could not read any more

Nickompoop

Jan 23, 2011
YoUnG205 said:
i'll be honest i got half way through mogworld but never finished it..... it just couldnt hold my attention. also a book called the summoner which just bored me as well.
I read the Summoner as well. God, what a boring book, but I did finish it.

I have a book called How Hitler Could have Won World War II. It's really dry and really boring, but that's not why I stopped reading it. I stopped because the author revealed the answer in the prologue: it's because Hitler invaded Russia. There was really no other reason to continue reading it. I think I got 30 pages into the first chapter when I stopped.

But, the worst book I've ever read was Catcher in the Rye. I had to read it for high school and it is torture to read. Holden is a spoiled, annoying, stupid brat who can't commit to anything. The plot is pretty much nonexistent and I really, really hate that book.

Erin Wright

Sep 30, 2011
Didn't get through the first chapter of "All the Pretty Horses" and "A Walk to Remember". Also found "A Tell of Two Cities" to slow to keep my attention past the first couple of chapters.

Smiles

Mar 7, 2008
Quite a few horrible books have I read, but I have managed to slug through most to the end.
I could not, however, start the second book in the game of thrones series, and havent read any further. I did not find the writing distastful and I loved the politics and such, the characters were all great(though I hated most of them), but when you kill off almost all the characters I like and the assholes go unpunished I have to put the book down.

mooncalf

<Insert Avatar Here>
Jul 3, 2008
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Stephen Donaldson's Chronicle of Thomas Covenant. Loathsome, boring, vicious main character with no redeeming features.
Halfway through the book he gets healed of his crippling disease, and to celebrate, rapes the main female, who quite enjoys it.

Bin.
After the first book I asked my sister if he ever gets over the whole "unbelieving" shtick. Nope she says, to hell with it then says I!

Keepeas

Jul 10, 2011
Yeah there was this one book I had to read for a project of some sort in 8th grade...I can remember the name...
It was about a horse and was extremely predictable
...I read the first chapter...
guessed the rest of the story,
did the project,
guessed right because I got an 'A'

Which is funny because I got a lower grade with a book I read completely.

also...a lot of other school books...

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
walrusaurus said:
lol I know the feeling, that was the scarlet letter for me. I absolutely refused to try and finish that steaming pile.

Out of all the vast history of literature, don't understand why/how high schools pick the most egregiously dull books to be 'classics'

Seriously, why can't they teach Catch 22, the Jungle, or Treasure Island. Guarantee Mark Twain has had a bigger impact on american culture than Fitzgerald, or *shudder* Emerson....
Never read the Scarlet Letter in school. We actually did read Catch 22, though.

Really, there are some pretty bad books in school, though. It's not even like I hate reading, it's just those books. And some plays. I think it was "Our Town" that utterly bored me to tears, but it's been so long I could be confusing it with another play.

JoesshittyOs

Aug 10, 2011
I'm not sure if you meant read a book that was so bad that I gave up on it, in which case the Eldest book from the Inheritance series (I actually liked the books, but I literally skipped about 9 or 10 chapters because of how mindnumbingly boring it was)

Or if you mean you mean that I was so bad at reading that I sorta tuned out while not taking in what I was reading, in which case the Black Hawk Down book.

Ledan

Apr 15, 2009
The Great Gatsby (had to finish because of School)
The Catcher in the Rye (see above)
En Komiker's Uppväxt (Swedish.... again same as above)

Forgot the name, but this Technomancer Series. Just felt really meh halfway through the second book. Everything was going to hell. To much backstabbing, plot lines getting bogged down in "intrigue" and deus ex machina.

Assassin's Apprentice Series. Fourth book is really Meh.
Blood Diamond ( not the movie, just a boring book)

and many other school books.

SnakeoilSage

Sep 20, 2011
daftalchemist said:
I can't agree with you about your opinion of Dan Abnett, I have to say. While I do enjoy sci-fi, I'm not really a major fan of it. I don't go out of my way to read sci-fi because it just gets boring. But Gaunt's Ghosts doesn't bore me in the slightest. It really gets my heart racing, and at the same time makes me feel so sad because every time a Ghost dies, I think "that's one less, and they'll never get any back". So it really grasps me at every level.

I've heard about The Dresden Files, and all of the things I hear sound good. I really want to read it, but I have to finish with Gaunt's Ghosts, and I also want to read the Throne of Swords series, and then I discovered there are spinoff books from Gotrek and Felix that I have a serious inclination for, and I still need to purchase/finish The Dragon Prince/Star books...too many books and not enough money. :(
No, no, I understand. We each have our preferences. My girlfriend loves classics and romances, whereas I'm more fantasy/urban fantasy pulp. I have a lot of Forgotten Realms shared fiction in addition to the Dresden Files series. Heck, I even enjoyed the Harry Potter books. A good story is a good story.

One thing we can both agree on though, is that there is always more to read. But you know, I can't really complain about that. :) Twenty bucks for a book is twenty bucks I don't spend junk food.

Rylot

May 14, 2010
I eventually finished it but Kite Runner was a real struggle for me. It was definitely worth finishing but about half way through I wanted to reach through the pages and throttle the main character.

scar_47

Sep 25, 2010
Beyond the "classic's" and other books that were assigned I've only stopped before finishing 2 that I can remember The Jungle I just didn't care anymore about any character or the plot and The Divine Comedy made it through inferno and started on purgatory but you really need a break between the 3 parts and I do plan on going back and finishing it eventually. I tend to read a lot about a book along with the preview if ones available so I almost always have a pretty good idea about what I'm getting.

Iklwa

Jan 27, 2010
"If I Did It"

For those young people (or foreigners who don't pay attention to such things), there once was a famous American Football palyer named OJ Simpson. Back in 1997-ish, OJ was accused of viciously murdering his ex wife and her husband with a hunting knife. Although most of the evidence pointed right at him, he was found not guilty. Granted, most of the country believes he is guilty, but according to the courts, he isn't.

Now, with that background info, check this out. This man barely, *barely* gets away with a double murder, and you know what he does? Writes and releases a book titled "If I Did It", in which he essentially says "I didn't do it, but if I were going to, here's what I would have done."

And it wasn't just bad because of that. It's written like some 14 year-old who got caught doing something he wasn't supposed to do and is trying miserably to lie his way out of it.

Worst. Book. Ever.

Tanzka

Jan 7, 2009
VondeVon said:
And Harry Potter, book 7.
YES. Although I actually managed to finish it, the first half or so of the book is just so goddamn boring.
YES Rowling, I get that they're in a forest. PLEASE MOVE ON.
But no, more forests, more doing absolutely goddamn nothing.
Oh and angst. That was there too.

But after
Ron dealt with his angst and came back to save the day
the book actually becomes worthwhile and enjoyable. Too bad though that everything leading up to it is just so.. dull. I know quite a few people who quit reading the book for that same reason.

Yes I spoiler tagged that part but if you haven't read the book already you deserve to be tied to a mast and flogged.

matell

Oct 13, 2010
Couldn't finish Neil Gaiman's "American Gods", and also Dante's "Divine Comedy". The first because it was waaaayyy to weird for me, and the latter because after "inferno" it go really boring.

Vassago56

Jun 19, 2010
Twilight nuff said im never picking up a book ever again , They degenerated Vlad The Impaler into Edward which is prolly the most insulting thing !!!