Ever replay a game with a different language setting?

Vegosiux

May 18, 2011
I've been finding myself doing this a lot lately. For example, I beat a game in English, then set the language to German and go through it again, just to see the different dialog (and point and laugh at shoddy translations).

Anyone else do this? I mean, I know I can't be the only one, so I won't ask whether or not I am.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
I played Crysis in Japanese once, because Emperor Wakamoto.

MAKUSHIMAMU AAMAA! MAKUSHIMAMU SHUPEEDO!

KOMega

Aug 30, 2010
I played KH2 in english, then I played the KH2: Final Mix which was all in moonrunes. Voices and stuff were still english.

Full

Sep 3, 2012
Was recently replaying Assassins Creed 2 in Italian. Way better, and more "authentic". The voice acting wasn't even bad.

eimatshya

Nov 20, 2011
Yeah, I often replay games in Spanish, which I speak as a second language, to practice. The exeption would be the Witcher, which I played only in Spanish, as I couldn't get into the English language version at all.

Unfortunately, the Witcher 2 doesn't have a Spanish language track, which has changed the whole feel of the game for me.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
Playing the Metro series with Russian VO is a vast improvement over the English voice acting.

The devs even have an English subtitles option when using Russian.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
I'm trying to learn Russian, so I can see myself doing this much more often in the future.

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
Ehhh, not really. I mean as much as I love BlazBlue and Persona 4/Arena i'm slightly surprised I don't. Everyone and their dog has the characters set to Japanese online in BlazBlue but I never held the belief that original voices = better by default. The English version of BB is so solid that I have no reason to ever swap over to Japanese. I suppose i'm a sucker for playing things in my own language. Weird huh? Plus I just adore English Hazama. Every line is gold.

"Ahhhh~ Hakumen! It's been too long!"

I don't think there's even an option to swap language in Persona 4 actually which is a little bit bizarre. Hardly anyone online in Arena uses the Japanese dub either, which is good because if I have to listen to Shadow Labrys' Japanese voice one more fucking time...

If I ever started to learn Japanese properly I would do stuff like BlazBlue or Katawa Shoujo again with the language setting changed.

Way back in my childhood there was this Bugs Bunny game on PS1 where I played through it set to Norwegian. No idea why, there were a tonne of languages to choose from so I probably picked the most advanced sounding one I suppose.

Prime_Hunter_H01

Dec 20, 2011
I do like it when Jrpgs have the Japanese language track still in them.
While I'm not one to say that the original track is fully better 100% of the time, some times even good English tracks can sound a bit weird and some times I just prefer it. Also I do like it when they offer the language of the games setting as an option, such as Metro in Russian, or Assassins Creed II in Italian, if they had allowed the English speaking present day to remain in English, and it is for that reason that I wish that Persona had it's Japanese voice track available in the English version.

rob_simple

Elite Member
Aug 8, 2010
I really want to play through DmC again with the Spanish language setting, because of this:

But without the new music and moustache, I don't think it will be nearly as enjoyable.

Other than that, it's always nice to get the Japanese voice track in a game, although it pisses me off when they make you play through the game first to unlock it.

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
I tend to stick with whatever language setting is default, though I'll experiment sometimes. Sometimes, this leads me to the conclusion that default is best (Dynasty Warriors 3 is somehow worse in Japanese), other times no.

Tends to be either English or Japanese, though. Haven't played many games in other languages that weren't stuck in those languages.

The Wykydtron said:
The English version of BB is so solid that I have no reason to ever swap over to Japanese.
I wish there was a way to set individual characters' languages in that game like in MvC3, to be honest. I prefer some characters in certain languages over others (Ragna, Tager, Carl, Taokaka and others in English, with Bang, Litchi, Hakumen/Jin, Arakune, and others in Japanese...).

Plus I just adore English Hazama. Every line is gold.

"I'll let you feel the most exquisite pain!

Does it hurt?! DOES IT HURT?!"

Sorry, that's just what I think of first in his lines

King of Asgaard

Vae Victis, Woe to the Conquered
Oct 31, 2011
Most Japanese games come with a setting for the original Japanese language, so after the first playthrough in English, I'd switch to good ol' Nippon for the authenticity.
Also, I played AC2 in Italian to help out with my Italian exam, and it actually worked. :D

Littaly

Jun 26, 2008
I've been meaning to. I desperately need to brush up on my Italian and this seems like as good of a way as any. Problem is I'm just not the type of guy that replays games :-/

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
NeutralDrow said:
I tend to stick with whatever language setting is default, though I'll experiment sometimes. Sometimes, this leads me to the conclusion that default is best (Dynasty Warriors 3 is somehow worse in Japanese), other times no.

Tends to be either English or Japanese, though. Haven't played many games in other languages that weren't stuck in those languages.

The Wykydtron said:
The English version of BB is so solid that I have no reason to ever swap over to Japanese.
I wish there was a way to set individual characters' languages in that game like in MvC3, to be honest. I prefer some characters in certain languages over others (Ragna, Tager, Carl, Taokaka and others in English, with Bang, Litchi, Hakumen/Jin, Arakune, and others in Japanese...).

Plus I just adore English Hazama. Every line is gold.

"I'll let you feel the most exquisite pain!

Does it hurt?! DOES IT HURT?!"

Sorry, that's just what I think of first in his lines
The first thing I think of with Hazama is:

"I'm really not the fighting kind of guy, y'know?"

That has to be my favourite line of his. Said with the perfect amount of patronising sincerity.

And his intro line against Mu is great:

"Ladies and gentlemen! Please! ENJOY THE SHOW!"

Kind of fitting since there would be no reason for Hazama to ever really fight Mu-12 unless he felt like it at random.

My favourite into lines in the game though, after the whole battle creed Noel and the like have going on is Lambda-11 vs Mu-12. They talk robot at each other for what feels like an eternity. It's awesome.

FFP2

Dec 24, 2012
Definitely. I couldn't stand the English voice acting in Eternal Sonata. Same goes for Metro 2033.

Longstreet

Jun 16, 2012
Metro 2033.

Started it once in English, quit after the opening bit because i just found it boring.
Then started it again in Russian, with English subs, and loved it. SOOOOO much better.

Metro: LL i just started in Russian right away.

Blue Musician

Mar 23, 2010
lacktheknack said:
I'm trying to learn Russian, so I can see myself doing this much more often in the future.
How can someone ninja me? I actually have 2 copies of Pathologic and The Void, one in English and one in Russian to help me learn the language I also downloaded the Russian copies as well as the English copies of the Russian Indie Humble Bundle for later.

Daggedawg

Dec 8, 2010
rob_simple said:
I really want to play through DmC again with the Spanish language setting, because of this:

But without the new music and moustache, I don't think it will be nearly as enjoyable.

Other than that, it's always nice to get the Japanese voice track in a game, although it pisses me off when they make you play through the game first to unlock it.
Oh my God, that was hilarious! The best thing is that the moustache totally works with German and Italian as well, so just get some fitting music in there, and you're set for hours of fun!