Ever stop watching something because it became too something?

Aerosteam

Get out while you still can
Sep 22, 2011
Red Vs Blue. It became... not Red Vs Blue. I stopped watching during the season where each episode they were switching from regular comedy ones to high action ones. I wanted them to choose something and stick with it.

Now, I like Monty's over the top action scenes, but not when it has characters from a comedy show involving space soldiers just talking to each other wondering why they exist. The second you give context to dumb fight scenes I'll lose interest, which is why I don't like RWBY but loved Haloid and Dead Fantasy.

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
I never went on to watch the second season of Sword Art Online. The end of the first season got too...rapey for me. It wasn't just the last episode with the final showdown, it was everything in the second half of the season. Asuna being sidelined into a helpless maguffin, the tentacle-covered lab assistant avatars groping her when she tries to escape...it was all just so out of place given what the first half of the series set up.

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
I guess like most people I just stopped watching Bleach. The story seemed to be grinding along not really going anywhere and every "fight" seemed to last forever. It lost its quirky campiness that got me interested in it in the first place and just went full male topless serious. Though I still like the movies though.

I guess I'm put off watching the new series of Sherlock too after that last episode. I mean wtf, talk about everything being a huge fucking convenience to lead to the big "shock" at the end of the episode. Can't wait to hear what bullshit excuse they pull out of the air to explain that mess. Which is a shame, because I genuinely do love the first two series.

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
hermes200 said:
I stopped watching House of Lies when Underwood went from antihero to full Bondesque villain and every source of drama or conflict magically dissipated. I believe it was in the middle of the second season when I decided I had enough.
Do you mean House of Cards? Frank Underwood is the main guy in that series. And one of my new role models :3

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
Laggyteabag said:
I gave up on Cowboy Bebop because it was too disjointed. I like my plots to actually have, well, a plot. I was more than half way into the show and I still had no idea what they were trying to do or achieve. To me, it was an entire series comprised of filler episodes with no continuity other than characters returning. Utterly disappointing.
Shhh. People love that show. You can't speak ill of it.

Truth be told, I found it over rated myself. Like you said, it felt like 99% of the show was filler. Yes, there were some great episodes, but even some of the character's abilities felt inconsistent. I swear some episodes Spike was the biggest bad ass of all and in others he was a joke.

titaniumChampion

Nov 27, 2009
Stopped watching Battlestar Galactica after Season 2 episode 10.
Due to the rape scene in the episode Pegasus. I think it was all around disgusting followed by the graphic slow-mo death. [link]en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pegasus_(Battlestar_Galactica)[/link]

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I stopped watching Attack on Titan at around the "boulder arc". Too much stupid had already reared its head, but at that point it just became utterly boring. 'Just move the fucking boulder already, Jesus Christ!'

Shame too, because that show had some incredible promise.

DaWaffledude

Apr 23, 2011
Aerosteam said:
Red Vs Blue. It became... not Red Vs Blue. I stopped watching during the season where each episode they were switching from regular comedy ones to high action ones. I wanted them to choose something and stick with it.

Now, I like Monty's over the top action scenes, but not when it has characters from a comedy show involving space soldiers just talking to each other wondering why they exist. The second you give context to dumb fight scenes I'll lose interest, which is why I don't like RWBY but loved Haloid and Dead Fantasy.
It goes back to it's roots after season 10. There's some fight scenes in season 12, but not done by Monty. Season 11 in particular is mostly just the characters sitting around in a box canyon arguing.

Spider RedNight

There are holes in my brain
Oct 8, 2011
Shoggoth2588 said:
I stopped reading Bleach once the Vizards were introduced. I kind of liked how it started and I stuck through it up until Rukia was rescued but I just couldn't stick with it for the long haul. It felt like I made it through a couple of arcs anyway. When it comes to anime though, I stopped watching Melancholy of Haruihi Suzumiya fairly early on. I think it was the time-travel/de ja veux episodes that made me lose interest.
I too was gonna mention Bleach. I read it longer than I watched it but as far as I'm concerned, they should've stopped after Rukia was rescued. Not to mention all those freakin' fillers with the Bounts and the new Captain mess and the Zanpakuto Arc and blah blah blah.

I stopped playing the Assassin's Creed series because it was to formulated for me. Go to a place, kill a guy, don't be seen or you fail, you pathetic excuse for an assassin.

Neyon

May 3, 2009
Walking dead after the zombies quickly became a secondary threat to A) survivors killing each other and B) survivors being ridiculously stupid.

Kolby Jack

Come at me scrublord, I'm ripped
Apr 29, 2011
I stopped watching House because it became too cynical. I know that sounds weird, since the main character is SUPER cynical and that's the fun of it, but it felt like the writers themselves were just too cynical. I stopped watching after House and Cuddy broke up, because the logic behind was flimsy as hell and the way it completely crashed was just clumsy.

Ok, Cuddy, you know you're dating a former addict, you've helped him through his lowest points, but when you're out of commission and potentially dying and he turns back to drugs just to get through it, you ABANDON him?? That's not love! That's horse shit! No attempt to even TRY to work it out, just "Oh you took Vicodin once at the worst moment of your life? Fuck you, we're done." Don't even get me started on how every other relationship failed in that show. Cameron and Chase I gave a pass because it IS pretty hard to get over murder, but jeez.

I also stopped watching NCIS because though it was still a good show, I felt like they had run out of ideas and were just running on formula after Ziva left.

LordFeast58

Mar 17, 2011
Saltyk said:
Laggyteabag said:
I gave up on Cowboy Bebop because it was too disjointed. I like my plots to actually have, well, a plot. I was more than half way into the show and I still had no idea what they were trying to do or achieve. To me, it was an entire series comprised of filler episodes with no continuity other than characters returning. Utterly disappointing.
Shhh. People love that show. You can't speak ill of it.

Truth be told, I found it over rated myself. Like you said, it felt like 99% of the show was filler. Yes, there were some great episodes, but even some of the character's abilities felt inconsistent. I swear some episodes Spike was the biggest bad ass of all and in others he was a joke.
Here I thought I was the only one that doesn't like Shinichiro Watanabe's directed anime, that goes the same for Samurai Champloo and Space Dandy too. It is almost feel like to 'hipster' and 'cool' for me to even like it. Like some previous mentions, I also get bored watching Attack Of The Titan for half episodes because I should've known those anime with 'emotions', killing self, feeling hopeless and crying, isn't actually my taste. If it wasn't for the popularity, I ain't going to bother watching a single episode.

Funny that people exaggerate the death of the characters and saying it's like Game Of Thrones (Reading the manga and the major characters are still alive). I'm seeing other animes with character's death and does a much better job of emotional investment than Attack Of The Titans, because that show is trying to channel too much of death exaggeration. Bleh!

Ihateregistering1

Mar 30, 2011
Adam Jensen said:
Sons of Anarchy. It became too STUPID. After season 3 I knew I wouldn't be able to watch a lot more of it. But I somehow managed to watch another season before I gave up on it. But the show just progressed to another level of dumb. Characters started making obviously wrong choices just so the plot could move forward. Newly introduced characters always felt out of place, irrelevant and boring. It's lazy writing 101. It's a shame. First two seasons were amazing.
Agreed. Once they went to Ireland, everything about the show just started to fall apart, and I couldn't bring myself to be interested in it anymore.

Spartacus (the Starz show): I loved seasons 1 and 2 (season 2 being the prequel season) but once they escaped the Ludus and the actual rebellion started, the show just went completely to shit. The Roman Soldiers were treated as way too stupid and incompetent (which had the unintended effect of causing me to root for them), and the violence became so over the top that it quit feeling edgy and just started feeling gimmicky.

Law and Order: SVU: One of the things I love about this show is that the cases usually aren't completely black and white. On occasion, however, the writers seem to feel the need to don their SJW armor and make some big statement, and the episode usually just feels incredibly lazy and self-righteous (and usually always ends with Olivia saying "you're going to jail you son of a *****!"). I can rarely finish those episodes.

Supernatural: The show was fun when it was just the two main characters chasing down urban legends and folktales, but after a while it just got too convoluted and ridiculous.

The Simpsons: Pretty obvious one here, the show was absolutely incredible for about 10-15 years, but now it's just obsessed with pop-culture references and celebrity cameos. I wish they had let it end with dignity several years ago.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
The diet coke drama of Arrow during the First/Second season put me off watching it. Apparently it's gotten over that but I've yet to have the motivation to pick it up again.

ObserverStatus

Aug 27, 2014
Lilani said:
I never went on to watch the second season of Sword Art Online. The end of the first season got too...rapey for me. It wasn't just the last episode with the final showdown, it was everything in the second half of the season. Asuna being sidelined into a helpless maguffin, the tentacle-covered lab assistant avatars groping her when she tries to escape...it was all just so out of place given what the first half of the series set up.
Good call, the first half of the second season was almost as creepy as the second half of the first.

Recusant

Nov 4, 2014
Most of the things I watch I do until they get canceled or stop; my approval is something of a kiss of death for TV and movie series. The only exception I can think of was the new Battlestar Galactica. I enjoyed the original series, but was hesitant about approaching new one; I read Les Miserables at a young age and consequently developed a very low angst tolerance (oh, the book has angst, but only insofar as it inspires people to actually do things), and what constitutes "lovable rogue" by 1970's Mormon standards is quite different from it constitutes by 2000's Hollywood standards; I've seen far too many promising IPs degenerate into orgies of sex and violence, which isn't what I'm looking for in science fiction.

And did the new BSG series fall victim to these less pleasant aspects of modernity? I have no idea. About an hour in, the camera shaking got so bad it literally made me throw up.

Mezahmay

Dec 11, 2013
Ihateregistering1 said:
Supernatural: The show was fun when it was just the two main characters chasing down urban legends and folktales, but after a while it just got too convoluted and ridiculous.
I actually stuck with it until college prevented me from watching it all together in the last season or two, but yeah the show's general quality fell after it was revealed Sam and Dean were the predestined vessels for Raphael and Lucifer at the battle over the apocalypse and blah blah blah. Up until then it was those two just getting wrapped up in roadtripping and heaven vs hell shenanigans which felt more in flavor with the first few seasons. I'm glad they mostly dropped it after that and it became more about coincidence, their awareness of the supernatural, and their past adventures leading the story forward.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
wooty said:
hermes200 said:
I stopped watching House of Lies when Underwood went from antihero to full Bondesque villain and every source of drama or conflict magically dissipated. I believe it was in the middle of the second season when I decided I had enough.
Do you mean House of Cards? Frank Underwood is the main guy in that series. And one of my new role models :3
Yeah... I was confused with the "House of..." names.

TravelerSF

Nov 13, 2012
I had to stop reading Fables (the comic book series The Wolf Among Us is based on) because it became INSANELY RACIST.

This happened around the time they were introducing Arabian fables, who cruise to Fabletown with their car full of slavegirls and spend essentially their entire visit looking down on the "infidels". I kid you not, they used that word like it was the freacking comma. The one decent guy was essentially and exception, everyone else was a cartoon stereotype.

Granted, there are a lot of Arabian countries which by western standards aren't really... treating people properly, but you can have morally bankrupt characters and still make them feel human. I mean there's plenty of western Fables in the comics who we're supposed to be rooting for who are just like that. Actually many of the heroes in the story are straight up murderers, yet slavery is apparently something they're absolutely disgusted by. And the western characters originate from medieval Europe or earlier, not exactly the cradle of equality and human rights. So why are they so modernized and the Arabians still live in the past?

There's also the fact that this wasn't an Arabian country. These characters represented every single Arabian person inside the Homelands. So I think the writer should think more carefully about how they choose to represent the entire Arabian civilization .

duwenbasden

King of the Celery people
Jan 18, 2012
I stopped watching

SG-1 when it became less a "OMG look like this new world!" and more "MUST DESTROY ALL SNAKE PEOPLE."
Farscape for pretty much the same reason.
Archer when dickjokes overtook everything else.