Ever stop watching something because it became too something?

CpT_x_Killsteal

Elite Member
Jun 21, 2012
Elfgore said:
Fortune Artieral
This was the first anime that I ever got genuinely angry at, it's also the first anime I ever dropped. It's not that it's generic, it's that its SO BORING! I watched about 8 or so episodes, and NOTHING happened! No story, no action, no comedy, nothing even remotely heartwarming, and get this, NO FANSERVICE! It got to the point where I might've finished it if it had even that! It had absolutely NOTHING going on! There was roughly 10 seconds of foreshadowing in all 8 episodes I watched combined, but nothing else. It's like they tried to craft something as bland and boring as humanly possible but still be able to not call it a joke. It was just plain bad.

Argh, fuck, what was the thread about again?

The Big Bang Theory. After the 800th "lol, nerds!" joke, I just had to stop. They weren't even jokes, just pauses to say "lol, nerds!", and an audience to laugh at it.

Stein's Gate just confused the hell out of me, so I ended up dropping it. I've heard it all comes together sooner or later as something amazingly brilliant though, so I might pick it up again.

Baccano! had too many characters for me to follow, and kept hopscotching the timelines. This was years ago though, so I might give it another go. Same with Durarara.

Shinkicker444

Dec 6, 2011
Most recently, I'd say SAO the first 13 or whatever episodes were alright, after the first big bad died things took a turn for the so utterly cliche I almost wanted to self inflict some amnesia to forget it.

Bleach was another, The SS arcs were great... forget the filler BS... than we get to HM stuff annnnd its a rehash of the SS arc. OK that was disappointing, but a few of the characters kept things interesting. But after Aizen I lost interest completely, Fullbringer and the Quincy shit I did not care about... at all. He could have finished with Aizen, or done something a bit less retarded than the Fullbringer/Quincy stuff and it would have been fine. Also I've grown to despise the Power Creep in Shounen manga with a most unholy passion. I'm sorry after a certain point things just become too stupid and the ante just cant be upped no more.

There were others, so many others, but I've forgotten them more or less. But in short typical anime crap, carried waaaay to far pisses me off, especially harem stuff. Holy shit I want to incinerate so many series because of that BS.

Although, this does remind me, I need to finish A Memory of Light. Stuck about 2/3s the way through that stupidly long Last Battle chapter, seriously it's like 300 pages for one chapter.

Platypus540

May 11, 2011
I stopped watching Valvrave the Liberator because it just became too shit. I stuck it out all the way into the start of the second season because the premise had a lot of potential, but it just got worse and worse as time went on. Characters made decisions that were not only out of character but completely devoid of any possible reason or motivation. Oh, and there was the time that the main character quite explicitly raped another character and the show completely hand-waved it. It's like they let the pervy animator write that episode or something.

Dragonlayer

Aka Corporal Yakob
Dec 5, 2013
I stopped reading The Infernal City when it stopped being an Elder Scrolls book and became about cut-throat kitchen politics.

I stopped watching Family Guy when it became too much of a liberal circle-jerk. That and it just wasn't funny anymore.

Kaimax

Jul 25, 2012
Rudger The Legend said:
I stopped watching Hunter X Hunter because it tried to be every shonen anime at once.
Actually it's the other way around, Every other Shonen anime is trying to become Hunter X hunter.... >_>

OT: I rarely do this as I rather not watch/read anything rather than stopping in the middle because of measly "Reasons".
But I stopped watching most animes that has gone past 50 Episodes and just stick to reading the manga/original source because of fillers. Hunter X Hunter is the only one that I want to keep continuing, but author went to Hiatus again, and the remake anime finally caught up and had to end it.

For Western Tv series, I mostly stopped watching them just because I got bored.

CpT_x_Killsteal said:
Stein's Gate just confused the hell out of me, so I ended up dropping it. I've heard it all comes together sooner or later as something amazingly brilliant though, so I might pick it up again.

Baccano! had too many characters for me to follow, and kept hopscotching the timelines. This was years ago though, so I might give it another go. Same with Durarara.
Yes, you need to watch Steins;Gate from start to end, because half of it is build up and half of it was the resolution.

Yeah, Baccano can be very confusing, but the same with Steins;gate, the resolution is worth that long confusing build, it's another anime that "Makes sense when you watch it till the end.

Durarara, is much more simple than Baccano as there are no major timeline jumps, and only sticks to changing the POV to another character at another place at the same time of one event.

Trude

Nov 26, 2012
I gave up on Gotham because it drifted away from what made it's first half so good. I really enjoyed the encapsulated nature of the episodes in that they were about a single recognizable villain in the style of Law and Order. When they started chasing a single plot thread for more than three episodes, it was so jarring from earlier episodes that it felt like a completely different show.

Relish in Chaos

Mar 7, 2012
I stopped reading Berserk because it didn?t seem like the story was progressing as much as it should (especially with the repeated hiatuses), Miura kept adding minor kid characters like Isidro and Schierke that I just didn?t care about or seemed to lack a definite purpose in the narrative, and the genre seemed to switch from a dark fantasy about morality and camaraderie to a somewhat by-the-numbers, RPG-like story.
I also got fed up of all the rape-for-drama and Casca still not being Casca anymore.

I stopped reading Ranma ½ once it became too much of an episodic harem melodrama and that ***** who?s meant to be Ranma?s love interest kept on being a ***** for no good reason. She just devolved into a typical tsundere who was arguably even more immature than the protagonist.

I stopped reading Trigun Maximum because I just could not follow the story due to the crazy, overly-detailed art, to the point that I barely had a clue what was happening anymore and figured, ?Well, I?ve watched the anime and, even though it diverges from the manga, it?s enough to get the gist of it.?

I stopped watching How I Met Your Mother due to the bullshit ?will-they-won?t-they? subplot with Ted and Robin, not to mention that they kept on stringing out the plot thread of who the actual ?Mother? was and, from what I hear, fucking it completely by the ending.

I stopped watching SpongeBob SquarePants when I realized that a lot of the jokes were either ?Mr. Krabs likes money? or ?Squidward getting repeatedly abused by everyone in Bikini Bottom because he?s a bit of a snob?. I think the people that complain about the series? downfall after the feature-length film were probably right, because it didn?t seem so much like that at the beginning, and SpongeBob used to be actually endearing. But now, for some reason?he just annoys me.

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
Yup, A Game of Thrones. Got too boring. Not because it's a boring series, A Song of Ice and Fire is one of the better series of books I've ever read. It's just...

Well here's how it went. I didn't see the premiere. But I had a chance to watch a couple of the next few episodes. Missing the premiere didn't bother me, because I knew the series. I wasn't really missing anything. But as the series progressed, and it stayed "true to the books" (somehow a plus in the eyes of fanboys) I realized I was missing more and more episodes and not really caring. I still didn't feel like I was "missing anything." And then it hit me... to me, someone who has read and re-read the books for a decade... A Game of Thrones was boring. I didn't really care to watch it. Maybe if they pass the books chronologically, but otherwise... too boring. I always know what's going to happen so I don't see the point.

I guess I just don't get the fanboy mentality. Tv series based on books "The Dresden Files" and "Legend of the Seeker" were FAAAARRRRRRR superior in my estimation, BECAUSE they weren't chained to the series plots and were free to actually WRITE scripts as opposed to simply ADAPTING them. To me, MORE and NEW content is better than REHASHED and OLD content.

Hades

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2013
Country
The Netherlands
I'm not so keen on South Park anymore. These days the episodes seem far busier being a parody of recent events then being their own plot and after the first couple of those episodes it just bored me.

I stopped watching one piece after the Marineford arc. Even before and during that arc the excessive amount of filler and padding annoyed me. I seriously watched in amazement as Ace spend a whole episode walking up a bunch of stairs. Rather then big filler arcs one piece seemed to just stretch out every small moment and it tired me out. Marineford had a lot of cool fights the Manga left to the background, I'm pretty sure Crocodile fought almost every major character and I hoped the padding would put its focus on that and provide some more cool moments but it didn't. That missed changed combined with all the padding just tired me out of watching anymore.

kuolonen

Nov 19, 2009
Hagi said:
Currently watching Jormungand and seriously considering to stop watching it seems far too directed. A reason I stop watching many, many series.

What I mean by that is there's a very obvious design in advance of what each scene is supposed to convey and it'll only ever convey that one single thing.

There's the action scene in which nobody ever gets hurt unless they're faceless characters, designed to show off how skilled, dangerous and bad-ass the characters are (despite their obvious storm-trooper academy credentials). There's the death scene in which characters die but only ever after having one final deep conversation underlining the one single trait that defined their character. etc.

It annoys me to no end and appears highly artificial.
Urgh. Jormungand. I really had to force myself to watch that one to the end. Maybe having been in the army makes you a bad target audience for gunfight anime, but I couldn't help but constantly think:"That is not how you fight with guns, how are you missing at that range" etc.

OT: So many I have lost count. Thankfully many have already been mentioned so I don't have to bother. Except for one it seems: Breaking bad. I really hated Heisenberg, not when he turned bad, but way before that. He was such utter git with the temper of a badly raised 6-year old. Hypocrisy and all other bonanza on top of that, and I just couldn't watch the show after 3rd season, and just read the conclusion of plot from wikipedia. Sounded about as shit as I thought it would end. Really wished Gus would win.

Gone Rampant

Feb 12, 2012
Walking Dead, for being too angsty. Every single adaptation- AMC Show, Telltale and the comics- have all fallen to the same trap of killing people off for pointless angst.

maffgibson

Deep Breath Taker
Sep 10, 2013
Breaking Bad. Maybe halfway through the third or fourth series?

Basically, I felt it just all got too unrelentingly grim and angsty, and absolutely clear that nothing was going to work out well for anyone. Which for me, took away any element of suspense. I find "how is this all going to go wrong?" less interesting than "is this going to go wrong?", so I lost interest in where the plot was going. I have also had people tell me when I stopped watching was a bit of a lull in terms of real developments.

Maybe my Netflix binge watching was the wrong way to consume it, but I just found myself emotionally exhausted and wanting to watch something sillier. I think I switched over to Sons of Anarchy, which tries sometimes to be grim, but is fundamentally silly enough (intentionally and unintentionally) that it rarely overdoes it.

I am not arguing that Breaking Bad is not "good TV": the consensus says it is. But it lost me.

[Kira Must Die]

Incubator
Sep 30, 2009
I don't know if I ever "stopped" watching something, as I intend to finish the shows I start watching no matter how bad... eventually.

But one show that I find it hard to get through is Revolutionary Girl Utena. I am only six episodes in, and I'm already starting to hate it's fucking guts. To be fair, I'm not an Ikuhara fan. Before Utena, I watched Penguindrum, and I absolutely hated it. I went into Utena hoping it would be better, and it's the same bullshit. The dub is the only thing carrying me through, because the awkward line delivery made it unintentionally hilarious, but even that is starting to wear thin.

Look, I like surreal, weird stuff. My favorite anime is FLCL. I'm also an Evangelion fan, so I'm fine with excessive symbolism, but I can't stand Ikuhara's style, characters, or his use of symbolism. It just pisses me off. I checked out his new show, and right off the bat I find it crap. Those are the only anime he's made outside of his manga and directing a few seasons of Sailor Moon, so I can safely say I'm not a fan.

The nicest thing I can say is that at least his openings are cool.

JennAnge

May 15, 2012
Supernatural. The one and only show I can think of where I prefer the light, funny 'monster of the week' episodes as opposed to the season arcs. Not that the season arcs would be so bad per se, if they did not ALWAYS follow the same formula. One of the brothers - Sam usually - screws up for reasons that get more and more contrived as the series goes on, there is SIBLING DRAMA up the wazoo and then eventually Dean cries and FAMILY PREVAILS in the finale. For a few seasons, that's okay, but every...bloody...season...What's worse is that the characters don't seem to evolve past this. If my bro caused a couple of apocalypse near misses and other sundry disasters, I'd either take anything else he does in stride or I'd drive a stake through his heart - probably the former, since hey, it's not like he meant it. I wouldn't go through the same emotional hamster wheel AGAIN as if this had never happened before. When they managed to contrive to get them fighting and not talking to each other in season 9 (9! FFS!) I just kinda stopped watching.

But damn I miss those monster of the week episodes. Even in the last season. When Supernatural works, it really does work...

Kenbo Slice

Deep In The Willow
Jun 7, 2010
Can this apply to a magazine I used to subscribe to? Fuck it, I'm gonna talk about it anyways.

Well, when I was in high school I subscribed to a little magazine called Alternative Press because they talked about my favorite bands and it was actually a good way to discover new music. I was subscribed to it for about 9 years, I ended my subscription last year because for the last year or two they just talk about the same bands or artists. Every issue was about Ronnie Radke, Black Veil Brides, or Sleeping With Sirens. Jesus get off those bands nuts and try to get other great bands more exposure.

Dr. Cakey

Feb 1, 2011
[Kira Must Die said:
]I don't know if I ever "stopped" watching something, as I intend to finish the shows I start watching no matter how bad... eventually.

But one show that I find it hard to get through is Revolutionary Girl Utena. I am only six episodes in, and I'm already starting to hate it's fucking guts. To be fair, I'm not an Ikuhara fan. Before Utena, I watched Penguindrum, and I absolutely hated it. I went into Utena hoping it would be better, and it's the same bullshit. The dub is the only thing carrying me through, because the awkward line delivery made it unintentionally hilarious, but even that is starting to wear thin.

Look, I like surreal, weird stuff. My favorite anime is FLCL. I'm also an Evangelion fan, so I'm fine with excessive symbolism, but I can't stand Ikuhara's style, characters, or his use of symbolism. It just pisses me off. I checked out his new show, and right off the bat I find it crap. Those are the only anime he's made outside of his manga and directing a few seasons of Sailor Moon, so I can safely say I'm not a fan.

Why would you do that to yourself? I mean, I read (almost) all of Fate/stay night because I needed to understand it, and I'm eventually going to finish watching Brynhildr in the Darkness because good must triumph over evil, and right now half my Twitter feed is watching Aldnoah.Zero because they're communally reveling in its stupidity, but like...what's the point?

Now, maybe it's a good thing you're doing this because Ikuhara is pretty much perfect and maybe like five years from now you'll have a spontaneous revelation and Utena will become your favorite anime, but...it's 39 episodes! "Zettai Unmei Mokushiroku" is going to play seventeen more times before you're done. The shadow girls are going to appear...eleventy billion more times, I think.

Well, they do say love and hate are two sides of the same coin...

Brennan

Mar 21, 2014
Game of Thrones:
I stopped watching after... season 4, I think. The show had only been holding on by a thread with me. It's well done... but it's not a story.

When I say it's not a story, I mean it doesn't have anything resembling an arc or theme. Oh, some fans say it does, but they're projecting. It's not actually going anywhere, it's just a perpetually meandering soup of stuff happening, like a soap opera. Characters die, power changes hands, and then it all happens again in a different arrangement, and then again.

And nothing is going to change. It's painfully obvious that however it "ends", whoever gets the throne is gonna spend the likely short rest of their life fending off the next batch of psychopathic social climbers. Same with whoever gets the throne after them. It's in the culture of the world, no war or ruler is going to make a difference. It'll end slowly over centuries of incremental shifts, or it'll end in the medieval post-apocalypse of a second Long Winter (which will reset the cultural clock to "life is hell, people are worse" rather than improve anything). This world is a crapsack hamster wheel and none of these power plays matter.

It's just an asshole contest between sociopaths, and anyone who's not an asshole sociopath exists merely as a stage prop for the sociopaths to demonstrate their assholery on. Most of the cast I either give no fucks about or actively want dead, and the few I do kinda maybe like I have zero illusions about having any form of non-doomed future, so I feel like getting engaged is actually disincentivized.

I watched it because it was well done, out of a kind of academic appreciation, but I didn't really have fun, and in fact found the whole thing rather a mood killer. The last straw was how basically a whole season went by made of mostly filler with almost nothing actually happening, because the producers apparently decided to split one book into two seasons. To buy time waiting for the next book to come out, maybe? Couldn't have been to do the book justice, cause like I say: mostly filler.

Battlestar Galactica (reboot):
Similar to GoT, but worse, because while GoT is going nowhere, it's at least pretty honest and internally consistent in that. BSG lied. BSG's writers told their audience that they, like the Cylons, had a plan. Halfway through the series it started to become clear this wan't actually the case and never had been, for either the writers or the Cylons.

Plus the high asshole quotient of the cast wasn't as well justified. In GoT it's believable because the culture of that world raises people to be assholes, but in BSG you have a ragtag fleet that's a random cross section of more or less a modern first-world culture. I live in a modern first world culture. There's a lot of assholes, sure, but it isn't 98% asshole. More like 40%, depending on circumstances. There's at least enough non-assholes to keep it slowly lurching forward into a better world, instead of collapsing into... well, Westros.

I stopped watching halfway through season 2. Like with GoT it was hanging by a thread and I was really only watching it out of academic interest at that point. The writing was already starting to annoy me with how transparently the characters would spend a couple eps slowly leveling out into tolerable human beings while the writers were off distracted with character assassinating someone else, only to have the writers suddenly notice that "hey! X hasn't been meeting their 'conflicted' quota! Quick: make 'em do something shitty!". It was like all the characters were on leashes, always being yanked back to the arbitrary minimum mandated level of dysfunction, then wandering back out in the direction of growth only to be yanked back again. And again, and again, and again, in a steady, predictable rhythm.

Again: GoT has shittyness built into the culture of Westros, so the characters being shits is organically self maintaining. With BSG the writers' hand could be seen just reaching in and arbitrarily making people do stupid crap whenever a character was in danger of becoming no longer sufficiently dysfunctional.

The last straw was when Pegasus the technicolor war crime wagon showed up and everyone limply wrung their hands a little and then decided they were totes cool with all the assorted shithorror of it's crew once Cain was under a bus. At that point I threw up my hands and was like: "Y'all deserve each other, and I don't care if you live or die anymore".

ryukage_sama

Mar 12, 2009
I stopped watching Tenjou Tenge when the flashback had a flashback. I guess that makes it "too retrospective"?

[Kira Must Die]

Incubator
Sep 30, 2009
Dr. Cakey said:
[Kira Must Die said:
]I don't know if I ever "stopped" watching something, as I intend to finish the shows I start watching no matter how bad... eventually.

Why would you do that to yourself? I mean, I read (almost) all of Fate/stay night because I needed to understand it, and I'm eventually going to finish watching Brynhildr in the Darkness because good must triumph over evil, and right now half my Twitter feed is watching Aldnoah.Zero because they're communally reveling in its stupidity, but like...what's the point?
I like searching for bad anime. I have fun riffing them or yelling at them.

Now, maybe it's a good thing you're doing this because Ikuhara is pretty much perfect and maybe like five years from now you'll have a spontaneous revelation and Utena will become your favorite anime, but...
yeah, sure.

Like I said, I've seen his other work, and I hated those, too, particularly Penguindrum, which was my introduction to him. It's fine if you like his stuff, but they do nothing for me but piss me off.

.it's 39 episodes! "Zettai Unmei Mokushiroku" is going to play seventeen more times before you're done. The shadow girls are going to appear...eleventy billion more times, I think.
Goddammit.

And this is part of what makes it so hard to get through.