Ever turn music off in games?

binvjoh

Sep 27, 2010
When I play something like Counter Strike I usually turn down all the audio to play some of my own music instead. Though there are some games where I really want to hear the soundtrack, like Half Life 2 and Deus Ex.

IBlackKiteI

Mar 12, 2010
moosek said:
Hop-along Nussbaum said:
Every. Single. Game.

I hate game soundtracks. Most of them suck, and are at best, a distraction.
You're stupid and you have no character and you smell bad. But seriously, many games use the soundtrack to apply ambiance. Dead Space, Silent Hill, Condemned, Portal, and many other great games actively incorporate the soundtrack into their gameplay structure.
And some don't, so this guy's point is still perfectly valid.

DropHouse

Nov 20, 2010
Ill sometimes do it, if its one of those moments in gaming where you really need to concentrate (like during a battle in the total war series or during fallout hacking to name but a few examples) but normally Ill keep the music on because most of the time they are OK and like Moosek said some really clever games can use the sound to create really effective atmospheres

Arawn.Chernobog

Nov 17, 2009
Almost never, without it I can never fully immerse myself into the game experience, and thus it suffers due to it.

MurderousToaster

Aug 9, 2008
Didn't we have literally this exact thread yesterday or the day before? Have we really run out of topics for discussion to such a degree that we need to recycle threads after less than three days?

I very rarely do, and only then if I have something better that I want to listen to.

brunothepig

May 18, 2009
Certainly, in many a game. It does depend, if it's a fantasy game I'll rarely turn the soundtrack off, unless some Battle Metal would suit it, and to be fair a lot of games do capture the feel of a game with the soundtrack. But if I find myself not caring, I'll turn the music down and put on my own.
Neverhoodian said:
Burnout 3.

It's my favorite in the series in terms of gameplay, but 90% of the soundtrack was utter crap, with generic and repetitive rock and metal tracks.

Pretty much any game that has a predominently rap/hip-hop soundtrack will be muted as well. Simply put, I think the genre is a blight upon mankind.
God yes, this was one of the worst offenders. Three songs I liked I think.. MSI, BFMV and something else. I dunno, it wasn't good.

Mallefunction

Feb 17, 2011
Only if I am playing Pokemon. Don't get me wrong, I love the classic sound effects and such, but it is REALLY repetitive and grates on my tits after an hour.

AndrewF022

Jan 23, 2010
Multiplayer games, particularly shooters, silence is best so you can hear gunfire and footsteps, particularly for Counter Strike, hearing the click of an awper going into zoom can mean life or death in some circumstances, also hearing people around the corner before they get to it can yield an easy kill from a noob who doesn't know how to hold Shift, or ones who fail to check their corners.

Also WoW, its just distracting, hearing teammates is crucial.. if I'm grinding, then usually I'll watch TV or listen to better music (not that the WoW soundtrack is bad by any means, I just have better music).

Ohh, and 8-bit chiptunes, really, really not a fan, some are catchy, but I don't need to hear it throughout the entire game on loop thanks (not all 8-bit games are guilty of this, but there are a lot of them).

TheXRatedDodo

Jan 7, 2009
Depends totally on the game for me. For more game-y game experiences, where the whole point of the game is the fundamental mechanics rather than the story, I tend to play CD's over the game. Demon's Souls and Tony Hawks 3 for instance, I tend to play death metal and funk over. I find the grooves really help me lock into the game and help me flow with the game. For stuff like Dragon Age: Origins, which I just started playing on PC a few days ago (amazing game!! Why had I never purchased this before now?) it's an experience that is far more tailored for getting lost in and immersed in.
Game-y games are equally as immersive, but in a tunnel-vision gameplay kinda way, and I find my own taste in music tends to suit those far more. But for story based games? In-game music, always.

Pikey Mikey

Aug 24, 2010
Dawn of War II Retribution, the goddamn menu music is sooo(continuing "o"s) annoying, there a choir (which is fine) and one guy who's singing in a really annoying tone that stands out and that's all you hear, repeated every 5-10 seconds, in the Army Painter, in the Main Menu, in the lobby, while searching for matches and (big shock) while loading matches, so after a while it gets just a little annoying. Rest of the music is awesome tough. For The Craftworld is fantastic =)

Muggizz

May 24, 2009
Single player: No?
Online: Mostly when I'm raiding in WoW, need to hear my guild. But I can't play without sound on Luege of Legends or Dota, need to hear certan abilities or different procs while watching what happends around me.

RanD00M

Oct 26, 2008
I sometimes do it in Killing Floor when I'm Skyping with some friends. I did it in my WoW days because I had my own music on. I do it mostly in FPSs when I just want to kick some ass. I also do it in LoL, my music is better than LoL music.

nazzer

May 10, 2011
Any game where I spend large amounts of time doing nothing too mentally engaging. I turn off music in Minecraft and listen to lectures and music. Same in WoW.

Azzy222

May 5, 2011
Only when im on an MMO. I tend to play at my best with my own music in the background.

Mr Metzger

May 26, 2010
In Fifa I usually turn off all the songs. Except in Fifa 11 this year they included the Black Keys. Nice move EA

Ohakoo

Sep 7, 2010
I do it a lot and listen to things like youtube videos music and videos on escapist especially when playing Black Ops online

Outright Villainy

Jan 19, 2010
Never, unless it's a sandbox game where you just fuck around.

Actually, that make minecraft more interesting. Must try that sometime.

Idsertian

Legacy
Apr 8, 2011
Nope, mostly let it do it's own thing. Dev's worked hard on their soundtrack and I have yet to find one that didn't match the feel of the game or was just downright crap, with two exceptions.

Burnout 3
Burnout Revenge

Ugh god. 3 was a non issue, as I just told it use my Xbox's own playlists. There's nothing more hilarious than trying to race while a Tenacious D skit is playing in the background. Revenge; when I played it on the original Xbox, same deal. Now that I have the 360 version however, that's pretty much not possible as I don't store music on it due to small-assed 20Gb HD. Need the space for DLC and savegames. As a result, I was stuck with the only four tracks I like in that soundtrack and they got so boring that I just turned them off.

I miss the days of the original Xbox.