EverQuest Next Redefines Next-Gen MMOs

Cognimancer

Imperial Intelligence
Jun 13, 2012
EverQuest Next Redefines Next-Gen MMOs

EverQuest Next looks to bring major innovation to the MMO genre, putting the fate of the realm into players' hands.

Despite periodic bouts of innovation, the MMO genre has remained largely static over the past decade. Ironically, the next era of online gaming may be heralded by a reborn titan from the previous generation: EverQuest. SOE's ambitious revamping of the classic MMO world, EverQuest Next, aims to provide a huge voxel-based realm with fully destructible environments, advanced high-level AI, and a hefty emphasis on player agency in shaping and protecting each server's unique landscape.

The most immediate and impressive feature of EverQuest Next is the modifiable terrain. Powerful attacks may leave permanent craters in the ground, while some classes like Earth Wizards can use magic to raise, lower, or destroy the terrain on the fly. However, these abilities are available to your enemies as well: giant enemies like dragons or golems may attack player settlements, and if they aren't defeated they can cause substantial damage to buildings (which will have to be repaired by players, brick by brick).

Enemies won't be your standard MMO goons, just waiting around for players to kill them and take their loot. Groups of foes will dynamically move around the world responding to events: a clan of orcs will be drawn to gold, and may set up camp along a well-used road to ambush travelers. If players decide to root out the camp or defend traveling caravans, the orcs may decide to relocate to a more lucrative location - or they may try to cut troublesome players off at the source and raid a nearby town!

If SOE can follow through on even half of the potential implied by these features, EverQuest Next could make some serious waves in the MMO market. It's still far from ready, but keep an eye out for more news from Norrath.

Source: IGN [http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/08/02/everquest-next-is-real-and-its-amazing]

recurve6

Jan 8, 2011
I hope they actually pull through with these ideas, though there are plenty of problems I can already think of, like players making dicks out of earth.

Compatriot Block

Jan 28, 2009
recurve6 said:
I hope they actually pull through with these ideas, though there are plenty of problems I can already think of, like players making dicks out of earth.
Slap an "Online content and interactions are not rated" warning on there and let them dick away. Worst that they'll get are inflammatory article headlines on websites full of people who already don't like MMOs/gaming.

dragongit

Feb 22, 2011
so, innovation translates to, destructible buildings. I'm pretty sure a few MMOs have already had scenery you could blow up. And by the looks of it it isn't even fully destructible. If you really want to convey that, every hammer swing should cause a crack.

Sorry if I seem a bit cynical. But I've heard the same story from every developer that tells us it'll re define the genre. I don't care anymore. Promise me fun, promise me functionality. You don't need to re invent the wheel to entertain me. Take a look at Wildstar. It offers mild creativity to the genre, but it looks more to deliver on fun then trying to sell us that it'll be the biggest thing since WoW.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
Here's the thing:
Some of this SOUNDS good, but will it be FUN is the most important question to me.

Isalan

Jun 9, 2008
Seems like a pretty legit idea, but I am calling it now.

There are going to be a lot of fuck-off deep holes in this game, and a lot of them are going to be directly under where new players spawn.

Also, making walls in choke points is going to be hilarious.

King Kazma

Apr 25, 2013
Looks choppy with some things, running down those stairs. That dead enemy he shield-bashed back and just slid down like their was horrible lag. But this is pre-alpha?
The game has potential and I like the idea of so much being player driven, but the fact is will it deliver? I'll love to find out.

Olrod

Feb 11, 2010
It sounds like a heaven for trolls and griefers.

Seriously, do these people even PLAY online games?

The Lunatic

Princess
Jun 3, 2010
I am kinda "Eh" about the art style.

Maybe it's just me, but, after so many years of WoW's Toon style, I'm not that overjoyed at the concept of the same style, but, fancier looking.

AJey

Feb 11, 2011
Redefines? I see someone took a hyperbole pill before writing the title. As for the game, it looks just like most other fantasy based MMOs in look, gameplay and execution. Sure, things they propose are nice and dandy, but so far they remain just that - promises. Making AI smarter or adding "life" into the world is great, but at its core the game remains the same (at least for now). To redefine this genre you need grand ideas, not minor tweaks.

Vaccine

Feb 13, 2010
King Kazma said:
Looks choppy with some things, running down those stairs. That dead enemy he shield-bashed back and just slid down like their was horrible lag. But this is pre-alpha?
The game has potential and I like the idea of so much being player driven, but the fact is will it deliver? I'll love to find out.
The footage really looked like early framework at best, that giant mech/golem walking through the trees and made them just shatter looked so comical there's no way this could be anything but that.

Yuuki

Mar 19, 2013
I thought Guild Wars 2 already re-defined next gen MMO's?

I mean how many games are going to claim that damn statement again and again, what does "re-define MMO" even mean at this point? There are so many different kinds already...

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
So basically instead of "Yet-another WoW knockoff", it's "Yet another Minecraft knockoff?"

Because that's the impression I'm getting (I don't even think it'd be the first MMO to have such a thing in the first place anyway)

Seventh Actuality

Apr 23, 2010
Is the Escapist is outsourcing their articles to Sony's PR department now? This post feels like it was written by someone who has completely missed every MMO of the last decade.

PH3NOmenon

Oct 23, 2009
How are all the comments about this so ffing jaded?

Guys, this looks great. This looks impressive for an MMO. It's okay to say "Hey, that looks neat!", you won't lose any cool points in the playground for admitting it.

Apr 28, 2008
Wow, that all sounds and looks really cool! I do hope the game actually pulls this off when it comes out.

Forobryt

Dec 14, 2012
Cognimancer said:
The most immediate and impressive feature of EverQuest Next is the modifiable terrain.
I'm pretty sure Wurm online has been doing this for years. Granted its not from attacks but you can still terraform the landscape.

Hagi

Apr 10, 2011
PH3NOmenon said:
How are all the comments about this so ffing jaded?

Guys, this looks great. This looks impressive for an MMO. It's okay to say "Hey, that looks neat!", you won't lose any cool points in the playground for admitting it.
You do know that this is the Escapist right? The place where the term 'Memorpuger' was born and has been embraced.

I love this website for many things, but reasoned responses to any news involving MMOs isn't one of them.

Black Reaper

Aug 19, 2011
This looks awesome, that guy with the shield didn't look like a very skilled player, but the rest of the video looked awesome
Please tell me it has hack and slash combat