EverQuest Next Redefines Next-Gen MMOs

Makabriel

May 13, 2013
CriticKitten has basically put it way better than I would have.. In the end, it'll clone GW2 to an extent. What I love about seeing first reactions to pre-Alpha footage is the expectant "They didn't put 'x' in here like they said they would!!" 2 or 3 years down the line. They talk an impressive game, but in the end they will find that it just won't work like they want it to.

Whytewulf

Dec 20, 2009
First let me say I am intrigued.. I am not jaded, I am hopeful. I am not so much a pessimist as others, even though I have plenty of MMO boxes on the shelf, nothing has caught my attention long enough since EQ, EQ2 and WOW.

Second, people keep saying this isn't new, it's been done before. What is new? What hasn't been done before in some obscure title? Half the titles people bring up don't have the attraction of the masses. MMO's to me are all about the community, the game brings us together. What new ideas are you looking for? What art styles hasn't been done before? With 1000's of MMO and RPG type games, not including the puzzle games which also present unique ideas? I think what people were looking for from Everquest and I am seeing this on other forums is a bit of a return to it's roots. I like new ideas like the rest of you, but I am more about quality ideas. Bring me 10 to 20 great ideas, possibly tweaked or that have gone through an evolution, vs. something new, I will take the first.

Third.. People need to read a bit more about this. This is a limited article. EQ devs have talked about the landscape, how it will "regrow". They know there are issues. One thing I found interesting, is each server will be different. They don't expect things to repeat as they have before. Some people might not like that. They want the re-occurring big Boss battle, that happened like Steps A-z before. This probably will not be good for them.

Lastly, we have a long ways to go.. But as GW2 left a bad taste, AION and RIFT are trying, WoW is done, LOTR being good but too small a community, I am ready for a good P2P MMO.

VodkaKnight

Jul 12, 2013
Good in THEORY.
It means that everything has to have a limit then, otherwise in about an hour after launch, they'll be a massive wall around the starting area.
And if you can summon dragons, then it'll be a griefing fest. And given that nobody in MMOs wants to give money, it means a massive grind to rebuild your town.
Intelligent AI forming camps at roads? Fine, at first. When people start going along those roads to dungeons? Not so great.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
I've heard a TON of praise for this game so far, but having watched this... I'm not really sure why.

Combat looks worse than Vindictus or even Tera IMO. The destructible terrain is a neat idea, but I'd need to know the details about it. Do the trees just regrow in 30 seconds? If they don't, why won't players just flatten everything they can because they can? Because they will, I assure you.

The art style seems very Guild Wars 2 x Wow and I don't really like it. I actually really enjoyed Everquest 2's more ... "realistic" style. At least, at the time it was anyways.

Enemies won't be your standard MMO goons, just waiting around for players to kill them and take their loot.
Then why the hell was that Litch style boss just sitting there floating around on a stone dais in a lava crater? He was literally just floating there waiting for someone to come steal his loot.

Seraj33

Jun 18, 2012
I can see it now. gm_flatconstruct, THE GAME! I know that people will try it, I know they will.

A game like this requiers a lot player engagement for it to be a fun and enjoyable, not to mention succesfull concept. I have through my years seen that most games with a focus on multiplayer fall short on the community aspect. Either it's to small or it can be to corrupted with hacking, trolling etcetera.
I believe if they pull through on their promises it could become a real cool thing, if the players are in on the rules so to say.

Ishigami

Sep 1, 2011
I like what has been showcased. The footage is obviously from a very early build so you have to be a little bit lenient about it.
The cartoonish art style is rather suitable for MMORPGs as I think it doesn?t age as fast as more ?realistic? styles do and at the same time it ought to go easier on your hardware requirements as well as the budget since you don?t have to create super detailed assets. Maybe that is the only way they can realize their ideas of a layered and manipulable world in an MMO environment.
I just don?t mind it at all as it looks like a Disney renaissance cartoon and I have nostalgia for that. (WildStar as well)
The combat appears to be okay. There is nothing inherently wrong with this ?action? combat in which you have to evade enemy attacks by yourself. I think it is more engaging than just managing cool downs. It just comes down to how it plays out and that can?t be judge right now. I mean it depends on a lot things if it is ?fun? to evade. For example how responsive the movement is, how important positioning will be, what evasive and attack skills the classes have, how many different attack patterns a type of enemy has, how many different enemy types there are, how these pattern look like, how ?easy? it is to read the enemy movement or how the difficulty scales (bad example would be Teras ?one-hit-kill-attacks?).
That can?t be judged by this early footage. Tera was alright in the mid level range and WildStar seems to be on a good way to improve and expand upon it. So I?m quite hopeful that EQ will learn from these examples.
Giving the players the abilities to manipulate their surroundings seems like a nice sandbox element. It gives you a reason to always return since the world is always changing and evolving. That is if it is done right. Again that can?t be judged right now in any meaningful way.
In any case I?m all for elements that keep people engaged. There is nothing more boring than the feeling that you have seen everything.
So yea I think this looks very promising.