"Every New Game From Now On Must ___________" (fill in the blank)

FatalFox

Jan 18, 2012
Every new game from now on must be developed as one single game, I'm sick of planning out trilogies that may or may not ever get made, or put out a lackluster game only to bombard it with DLC content and charge the consumer more and more money to get a worthwhile experience out of it. (or the full experience)

Kotaro

Desdinova's Successor
Feb 3, 2009
Every game from now on must have no kind of DRM or copy protection at all, ever.
Violators will be shot in the face. Six times. With a shotgun.

Solid Reece

Nov 19, 2010
Every game must have a new game plus or replay any level.
To replay a entire game just to play one scence or just grinding get tiring after a while.

Jaded Scribe

Mar 29, 2010
Easton Dark said:
Every new game from now on must have replay value.

And blackjack. And hookers.
In fact, forget the game...

Seriously... every new game should continue the way the industry is going. I'm happy with the industry as a whole. Yeah, there's some crap out there. But there's also Skyrim, Diablo III, Max Payne 3, etc. There are tons of good games out there. And the stupid mega-sellers that bank on repeating the same dumb shit (seen this complaint with Call of Duty) are the RomComs of the game industry. They're easy to make (building off of previous engines and gameplay) and generate income for better games.

DRM is a curse we brought on ourselves with the rampant piracy, which is unfortunate. Most pirates I've seen are not claiming to be unable to aquire due the game being unreleased in their area (i.e. another country) or older games that are no longer being actively published. The majority I see claiming to be "proud pirates" are justifying it as "I cannot afford and/or want to stick it to The Man by not purchasing, but I am totally entitled to play it regardless." And I'd much rather game companies at least attempt to deal with it themselves rather than turning to the government with SOPA, PIPA, or CISPA.

First day DLC - again, I don't mind, so long as the missing chapters are not vital to the primary storyline of the game. Most Day 1 DLC I've seen is "Hey, buy this new instead of used and get some extra goodies that aren't necessary to complete the game enjoyably, but you'll have fun with this." (i.e. Project Ten Dollar).

Again, this is just companies trying to overcome the allure of buying used games. Used games are cheaper, but the money goes to the reseller (be it private individual or GameStop/equivalent) not the game company. Why shouldn't the developers get the money for their hardwork? It's not bad to buy used, but don't be surprised when developers look for ways to undercut those losses.

Overall, I'm happy with where the industry is going, and have been thrilled with most of the games I've played lately.

The Thinker

Jan 22, 2011
leet_x1337 said:
Every new game from now on, if they pass the first aspect of the Bechdel test (i.e. having two or more women), must pass the entire test (they must talk to each other about something other than men.) This applies in reverse as well.
Ah! The little-known but also-totally-a-thing reverse Bechdel Test. But tell me, why not just say "all games must pass the Bechdel Test", or "all games must either pass both Bechdel tests or neither"?

Apr 28, 2008
Every new game from now on must have skippable cutscenes.

Seriously, fuck unskippable cutscenes. Those are one thing that needs to die in a fire as soon as possible.

blank0000

Oct 3, 2007
Every game with an online component must make a point that sexist, bigoted, and racist behavior is not "acceptable" or "ok".

Every game in general must do its best to enrich the player in a meaningful way. It doesn't matter if the end result is of poor quality, but their has to have been a genuine purpose to the production.

Gmans uncle

Oct 17, 2011
ToastiestZombie said:
Gmans uncle said:
Spoiler dat shit mate! It's a good joke, but non bronies don't like seeing big ponies in a non pony discussion.
Understood, I'll be sure to use the proper tags in the future, sorry about that.

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
Every new game from now on must always have a PC release. I would love to play Dragon's Dogma if it had a PC release.

lord.jeff

Oct 27, 2010
AstylahAthrys said:
Ever new game from now on must not suck. There. That is a blanket statement that will help the industry.
Yeah this is about all I can support or the no DRM ones, but all the rest all the people saying a game must not have multiplayer, not be a sequel, be unstreamlined, be made by a small studio or must have great stories are wrong and need to realize gaming isn't just for them, I happen to like Team Fortress 2 and so do many others.

Bostur

Mar 14, 2011
Every game from now on must have a director in charge of artistic vision. And that director must be separate from the role of producer.