Every Other Game Ever

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
Its not like there are no examples in other medias. Look at your average action/adventure film or novel and you will likely find a "hero" willing to depopulate a small village to get his.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
crimson sickle2 said:
Don't they actually admit it's a valid point in Metal Gear Rising?
Yes, but then he conveniently forgets about it by the end of the level.
I think it was an interesting moment but got diluted by the Platinum wackiness that soon follow, and the number of soldiers that you are still "forced" to kill casually after that.

freaper

snuggere mongool
Apr 3, 2010
"Hey, Dudebro, you forgot some pickups on that box, near the dead guy. The other dead guy."

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
DVS BSTrD said:
Oh come on! It's not like any of them had name tags. Everyone knows minions are a free pass.
Yeah, everyone knows evil minions and villainous henchmen don't count.

martyrdrebel27

Feb 16, 2009
this is why, in the context of the gaming worlds, Saint's Row has the most logical plot in all of gaming. for two longs, games have hidden psychotic protagonists right under our nose, and like a sociopath, we feel we are always justified.

it really reminds me of Falling Down when (SPOILERS!) at the end Michael Douglas just stops "....I'm the bad guy?"

OfficialJab

Jan 14, 2012
hermes200 said:
I think it was an interesting moment but got diluted by the Platinum wackiness that soon follow, and the number of soldiers that you are still "forced" to kill casually after that.
You mean that section before Monsoon? Because at the end of the scene, his takeaway is that he doesn't care that he's murdering any more, and he doesn't consider himself a hero, something he's quick to remind people of.

Fasckira

Dice Tart
Oct 22, 2009
ccdohl said:
The really annoying part is when the protagonist leaves the big bad guy alive after killing dozens of dudes to get to him.

"You're not worth it!" yea bro, I bet the 15 guards you tossed off the Vatican wish that they weren't worth it.
You have Tir McDohl as your avatar. I love everything you post now, regardless of content.

(but funny point never the less)

Big_Boss_Mantis

May 28, 2012
Marik2 said:
Doesn't Metal Gear Solid do this good?

Snake knows not to glorify killing and acknowledges that heroes aren't so different from mad men

Been playing through the series and that's the message I'm getting

And it lets you go for a no kill playthrough and to only kill when it is absolutely necessary

Actually, the whole Big Boss story arc is about it!

You see, even as I fan of the series, I find that whole "Patriots/nanomachines/AIs/talking hands" too crazy for my taste. But, to me the whole Metal Gear Solid series can be seem as the tragic story of Big Boss.

Heroes, villains and mad men. Naked Snake is a bit of all these things, in some point he became more evil than what he was trying to fight.
It's like Star Wars, but his fall is much better realised than that of Anakin Skywalker.

Kojima ain't that good of a writer (but one of the best game designers in the world IMHO) and his limitations are showing more with each iteration.
But Big Boss is a helluva character and it keeps me mildly interested in the story.

hermes200 said:
crimson sickle2 said:
Don't they actually admit it's a valid point in Metal Gear Rising?
Well, I wouldn't say it got dilluted.
Actually, if you use the codec right after his team is a little shook up from what happened, and he is apologetic, but not denying what happened, what he said, or what he is.

To me that was a great moment for the character and he stood his ground as a maniacal killer. He goes so far as saying the he was fighting to save other people from the same fate as him.

Of course, then the game ends with a fight with "Senator Colossus" and a very long lecture about the dangers of letting Kojima Production writers unsupervised with their typewritters. That's dilluting, yes. But of the game as a whole and not of Raiden's "Jack the Ripper" revival.

IMO! :)

AngryBritishAce

Feb 19, 2010
martyrdrebel27 said:
this is why, in the context of the gaming worlds, Saint's Row has the most logical plot in all of gaming. for two longs, games have hidden psychotic protagonists right under our nose, and like a sociopath, we feel we are always justified.

it really reminds me of Falling Down when (SPOILERS!) at the end Michael Douglas just stops "....I'm the bad guy?"
If you're going to post a spoiler, please use this:

[spoiler/] Instead of saying "blah blah blah *SPOILERS* he dies at the end" [/spoiler]

Sure this film is 20 years old, and I don't have any plans on watching it anytime soon but some might and I'm sure they'd rather not have it spoilt in a comment section that's completely irrelevant to that movie.

Fasckira

Dice Tart
Oct 22, 2009
ccdohl said:
Finally, some respect.

I think that the first two Suikoden games are both top 10 games ever, and there is usually a lot of weight on the death of a character too, now that I think about it. Not that you don't bust up thousands of goons and monsters on the way to the emotional moments.
100% agree!

And emotional weight on character death? The first time I played through S1 and
Gremio sacrificed himself
I lost it! :p

Actually, it'd be kind of cool to play through Suikoden 1 and keep track of number of enemies killed, various types, etc and compile one of those infographics...

Broken Orange

God Among Men
Apr 14, 2009
Besides Spec Ops: The Line and the Metal Gear Solid series, I honestly can't think of a game where it gets pointed out that the hero is a mass-murderer. That one scene in Spec Ops (If you played it, you know which one I'm talking about) is the most emotionally powerful scene i've experienced. Just thinking the difference of that one scene and *insert Call of Duty level here*. You feel badass when you're manning a machine gun and mowing down Nazis/terrorist/evil henchmen, while Spec Ops' made me feel dirty.

I guess my point is, I liked feeling something, even if it's shame. I've gotten a case of "shooter fatigue" with the Killzone's and Uncharted's out there. I would love to have more Spec Ops.

Or maybe I should play more "indie" games like Splunky or Kerbal Space Program.

AngryBritishAce

Feb 19, 2010
martyrdrebel27 said:
AngryBritishAce said:
martyrdrebel27 said:

If you're going to post a spoiler, please use this:

[spoiler/] Instead of saying "blah blah blah *SPOILERS* he dies at the end" [/spoiler]

Sure this film is 20 years old, and I don't have any plans on watching it anytime soon but some might and I'm sure they'd rather not have it spoilt in a comment section that's completely irrelevant to that movie.
really? ugh, that was so unnecessary, so let the fun begin.

1. Luke and Leia are siblings, Darth Vader is their Father.
2. Bruce Willis was dead the whole time.
3. The Warriors make it home.
4. The Planet of the Apes was actually Earth.
5. Ross and Racheal end up together.
6. Rick actually survived and made it out of the hospital.
7. Walt has lung cancer.
8. Donnie succesfully time travels, saving Gretchen Ross, but undoing the fact that she ever knew him.
9. The DaVinci Code was actually Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
10. Colored Space Magic
11. You kill Big Smoke, Ryder, Pulaski, and Tenpenny.
12. He meets their mother.
13. Milton burns the building down.
14. (Superhero A) defeats (Supervillian B)
15. The time machine actually works.
16. He's aging backwords.
17. The boat sinks, Jack drowns.
18. The Circus Elephant gets electrocuted.
19. The Jamaicans carry the bobsled across the finish line.
20. MICHAEL DOUGLAS SAYS: "...I'm the bad guy?"

[spoiler/]I don't know how to use Spoiler Tags.[/spoiler]
[spoiler/] You forgot [/spoiler]

Snape Kills Dumbeldore

... oh no wait, put the wrong thing in the spoiler tags...

Oops.

burningdragoon

Warrior without Weapons
Jul 27, 2009
Bold move guys. Taking a similar approach to a joke so soon after the last one. Expecting people to get it this time for some reason?

I thought it was funny though.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
tangoprime said:
I love that the premise of Taken 2 was pretty much about the repercussions of what this strip addresses.
Hero kills bunch of bad guys in first movie, with a small plot point being that all the bad guys are from the same village, that's how they were able to identify them by voice, from the distinct accent iirc. Next movie starts with a mass funeral of all the mooks killed in the first, and the village vowing revenge. That's a pretty novel approach to a sequel.
To bad the film forgot what gritty actually means and went so over the top it kind of killed the message, I mean Liam Neeson fought that last minion in a frigging ring of light... laaaaaaaame!

tangoprime

Renegade Interrupt
May 5, 2011
PunkRex said:
tangoprime said:
I love that the premise of Taken 2 was pretty much about the repercussions of what this strip addresses.
Hero kills bunch of bad guys in first movie, with a small plot point being that all the bad guys are from the same village, that's how they were able to identify them by voice, from the distinct accent iirc. Next movie starts with a mass funeral of all the mooks killed in the first, and the village vowing revenge. That's a pretty novel approach to a sequel.
To bad the film forgot what gritty actually means and went so over the top it kind of killed the message, I mean Liam Neeson fought that last minion in a frigging ring of light... laaaaaaaame!
Haha, yeah, that's why I mentioned that I loved the premise. That was about it.