Everyone's Favorite Crutch

Bete_noir

Apr 6, 2009
Personally, I thought it was a nice touch, and honestly there are some games that do it right and some that do it wrong. I more or less like them, its not really good or bad in my opinion it's just there. Like the Kojima mega-cutscene or the mushrooms in Mario. I have to say in taking a martial art, I'm able to sit back from the screen and take it all in and still hit the cues on time so maybe it's a little easier for me.

I have been hit with the "Oh, crap ineteracive cutscene" moments but usually you don't lose a lot of ground for failure and it doesn't take me many trys to get it right. I also don't have the best hand-eye coordination in the world. I suck so bad at DDR it's absurd and have probably received a cease-and-desist order or two. Honestly I don't think I failed one QTE in Resident Evil 5 when I played but got killed by the freaking truck twenty times because I wanted to kill the driver for an achievement (Another issue in modern gaming I've seen fuss generated over). It's obviously different for other people, but it's a far better convention in video games than run right, or break the crate, and we still have that crap.

RelexCryo

Oct 21, 2008
Shamus Young said:
Everyone's Favorite Crutch

Quick Time Events are an understandable shortcut for developers, but do they really have to suck quite so much?

This was genius article, nice job :)

Odoylerules360

We're all just folk now...
Aug 29, 2008
Don't give Peter Molyneux credit he doesn't deserve:

"Chant to possess your farts, chant again to detonate them"
--Oddworld: Abe's Exoddus, 1998

Disthron

Aug 19, 2009
I basically agree with you, one thing though. That thing about "the Triangle button is the inventory" thing doesn't just happen to new players. It also happens to players who allow themselves to become immersed in the game.

I have been playing Play Station since SP1, I believe the first Dual Shock came out only a year or so after the consoles launch and the controller basically hasn't changed since. However, even though I've been using the same controller for so long, when I'm playing I still can't tell you what the buttons are. When I'm immersed in a game the controller doesn't exist for me. When I want to jump, or use a hock-shot or whatever, I don't think X or Square I just do that action. QTEs destroy all the immersion for me and force me to think where the buttons are again. Not to mention that I miss out on what was actually going on in the cut-scene, as you stated in the articular.