Everyone's hating on Nickelback

CpT_x_Killsteal

Elite Member
Jun 21, 2012
So I was walking around the bush listening to Nickelback when I remembered, that lately, hating on Nickelback seems to be a trend. Now I get why people started getting all uppity about Justin Bieber when he became famous (because he's got more money and girls than you will ever have in your life) but Nickelback has been around for ages. I thought it might be because they suddenly became popular, which is why alot of people began a phase of hating Linken Park, but I haven't heard of them standing out lately.

So did I miss something? Did the group fly to Botswana and start torching children with flame-throwers?

Or did they not choose the "fag life" and don't say "***** nigga fuck monay titties ass" in every one of their songs like alot of rappers?

So please enlighten me Escapists, why does everyone hate Nickelback all of a sudden?

EDIT: Ok the bit about rap was a bit uncalled for, it's just what my friends and their friends tend to listen to then when I ask em why they bash every other genre and artist out there they just cry "gay" or something like that.

Dr. Doomsduck

Nov 24, 2011
For me, what kinda blew it was the fact that they brought out Dark Horse with all that 'let's drink, fuck and burn shit down' and then all of the sudden came out with "when we stand together", which on it's own is a fine sentiment but if you mix it, the whole thing just sounds disingenous.

I mean this:

We're going off tonight to kick out every light
Take anything we want, drink everything in sight
We're going 'til the world stops turning
While we burn it to the ground tonight

and this:

They tell us everything's allright
And we just go along
How can we fall asleep at night?
When something's clearly wrong
When we could feed a starving world
With what we throw away
But all we serve are empty words
That always taste the same

Emphasis on the part with the 'empty words'.

Smolderin

Feb 5, 2012
His music has become synonymous with "generic rock". Nickelback in himself is the post child for the hard rock stereotype of music. People hate on him because he represents un-originality, but I think that is just what I see. Honestly, I don't think he is all that bad..certainly not great but I definitely listen to a few of his tunes. They are quite catchy.

capper42

Nov 20, 2009
It's just pure by the numbers guitar rock. It's like a group of aliens arrived on earth, someone described what a rock band is to them, and Nickleback is there attempt to replicate it.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
It's because their charting successes are kind of awful.

I liked "Savin' Me", the first Nickelback song I ever heard, but it got wearying pretty fast when I heard it again with "If Everyone Cared", "This Afternoon", and "Photograph". The lyrics in the last two are also spectacularly awful. Pile on Chad Kroeger's vocals, which aren't suited to those songs, and you get backlash. The backlash is waaaaaaaaaaaay out of control on them, but I'm putting that up to chance.

However, their non-charting stuff is actually really passable. I'd even put it on my MP3 player.

<youtube=b3vJ5XyjGa8>

This never charted. Shame, really.

Dec 14, 2009
Nicklelback are the very definition of generic rock music.

Generic lyrics, generic sound, there's just nothing genuine about the music either, on the one hand they sing about fucking shit up, then on the other, they're saying we all need to stand together to make the world a better place.

I hate the term 'sell out', but they're right up there with Linkin Park.

Shadowstar38

Jul 20, 2011
Nice job bashing Rap for no apparent reason there OP. It makes your own choice in music sound sooooooo much superior >_>

Nickleback just isn't that great a band. There's nothing distinct about them and the most I can say about their songs are they're inoffensive. It's as lowest common denominator as you can get.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
I like two or three of their songs. Hating them is nothing new though. People have been railing against them for as long as I have been listening to music >.>

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
I don't hate them, I just think all their music sounds the same.

No matter what song it is, it always sounds like a remixed version of the one that goes "Something-something- PAPERBACK NOVEL!"

mechashiva77

Jul 10, 2011
I don't really hate them either, but if there's anything I've learned on the internet, is that it is very popular to hate musicians so much that you become frothing at the mouth for their brutal executions.

I've only listened to one song on the radio. It sounded like what everyone else is saying here: generic rock music.

Also the bit about rap was a bit uncalled for.

socialtangent

May 23, 2009
Nickelback is a mediocre band that makes mediocre music. They're to rock music as Flo Rida is to rap music. Nobody really knows who they are, or why they're famous, but they keep releasing singles that chart in the Top 40. There's really not much else to say about them beyond that.

Also, OP's generalization of rap is inaccurate.

repeating integers

Mar 17, 2010
Daystar Clarion said:

Generic lyrics, generic sound, there's just nothing genuine about the music either, on the one hand they sing about fucking shit up, then on the other, they're saying we all need to stand together to make the world a better place.

"Sell Out"? Linkin Park didn't sell out. If anything they did a Radiohead and voluntarily sacrificed hugeness to do the music they want. Respected 'em more ever since A Thousand Suns (beautiful Floydesque album, btw).

OT: Nickelback are way overhated IMO. Far from the worst band around right now - just a sort of average one. I'm fine with them really, their songs are catchy an' all. Also, Rockstar has a tad more smarts to its name than people give it credit for.

Dec 14, 2009
OhJohnNo said:
Daystar Clarion said:

"Sell Out"? Linkin Park didn't sell out. If anything they did a Radiohead and voluntarily sacrificed hugeness to do the music they want. Respected 'em more ever since A Thousand Suns (beautiful Floydesque album, btw).

OT: Nickelback are way overhated IMO. Far from the worst band around right now - just a sort of average one. I'm fine with them really, their songs are catchy an' all. Also, Rockstar has a tad more smarts to its name than people give it credit for.
So Linkin Park didn't make a track exclusively for the release of Medal of Honour?

Wait, they did ¬_¬

repeating integers

Mar 17, 2010
Daystar Clarion said:
OhJohnNo said:
Daystar Clarion said:

So Linkin Park didn't make a track exclusively for the release of Medal of Honour?

Wait, they did ¬_¬
Castle of Glass was a beautiful song, easily among the best from that album IMO. I was under the impression they just contributed it to MOH when they asked, rather than making it specifically for the game.

It is funny seeing them try really, really hard to act like anyone actually cares about Warfighter (pahahahaha) though.

Apr 24, 2008
It's cool to hate Nickelback now? I knew if I stuck with it I'd be in style again at some point.

They're a rock band with absolutely no edge... they're boring. That's about the worst thing you could do as a rock band. The lyrics are silly, the riffs are boring... his singing sounds like he's trying really hard to be gravelly and rugged.

Rawne1980

Jul 29, 2011
I like Nickleback.
I like Linkin Park.

I listen to whatever I want to listen to.

I shall allow Harrison Ford to proclaim how I feel about people who have a problem with what other folk listen to.....

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
They're just so overwhelmingly boring and average in every way. I mean, I don't hate them because of what they are, I love Stone Sour who to be honest do a fairly similar type of thing, I dislike them because it's all so uninspired. It's the same watered-down Black album-era Metallica style that half a million American bands have been doing for the last 20 years and it's not done well.

Dags90

Oct 27, 2009
Rawne1980 said:
I bet you like Creed, too.

My favorite questions to ask people are "What's your favorite Creed song?" and "What's your favorite Nickelback album?" just to see their head explode.