Everything for U - Roomcraft by Target

Genocidicles

Sep 13, 2012
Wow this is just fucking pathetic.

What's next? You going to block the website until people fill in questionnaires about their favourite brands? Block access to videos unless the viewer has a subscription? Make Jim and Yahtzee mention the refreshing flavour of Pepsi in all their videos?

I might have to stop coming here if this gets any worse. It's just sad that the Escapist is willing to resort to this kind of bullshit in the name of money.

Xpwn3ntial

Avid Reader
Dec 22, 2008
Reported for spam. Seriously, Escapist.

Putting ads before/after videos? Fine. You guys need money.
Putting ads on the edge of the site? Whatever.
Paid premium membership to avoid the above? Awesome!
Captchas? They were fine until ads started in. Even then, whatever.
Those annoying as hell ads that if your cursor moves over them they expand and start playing and seldom stop when I hit the "x" on them? I learned to get around it eventually.

This is too much, Escapist. You're as bad as cable and network television. That bad.
Scratch that, you're not that bad yet. There aren't any Twitter hashtags plastered all over the place yet.

If you honestly need the money, fire your financial staff. All of them. It should not be this bad.
If you don't honestly need the money, stop fucking doing it.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Yeesh. I get the feeling that this is a wee bit sleezy, but the way that people are freaking out just baffles me. I mean, it's not the greatest thing in the world, but is it really worth getting THAT pissed about?

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
erttheking said:
Yeesh. I get the feeling that this is a wee bit sleezy, but the way that people are freaking out just baffles me. I mean, it's not the greatest thing in the world, but is it really worth getting THAT pissed about?
I don't share the reactions, myself, but I can understand it.

If any of us 'normal' posters made a thread like this, the OP would've been warned and the thread locked so fast that only ten or twenty people might've seen it, and only two or three posted in it. Sure, that's the rules of the forum and you can't expect the actual staff running the website to hit themselves over breaking them because that's kinda silly, but it'd be nice to not parade around a glorious example of rule-breaking in front of all the people who can't do what you just did.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
shrekfan246 said:
If any of us 'normal' posters made a thread like this, the OP would've been warned and the thread locked so fast that only ten or twenty people might've seen it, and only two or three posted in it. Sure, that's the rules of the forum and you can't expect the actual staff running the website to hit themselves over breaking them because that's kinda silly, but it'd be nice to not parade around a glorious example of rule-breaking in front of all the people who can't do what you just did.
I think this is why more people are a bit upset about this. Not to mention that they actually put a link to this thread on their actual Twitter page which got even more people to click on it since they probably thought it was at least somewhat gaming related. (The U could've been for the Wii U or something)

IceForce

Is this memes?
Legacy
Dec 11, 2012
Flagged for spam.

Mods, please take this thread down immediately. This is nothing more than spam.
Unless spam threads are allowed now. Have the rules changed while I wasn't looking?

This forum is "Off-topic Discussion". The clue is in the name. Where the fuck is the discussion here?
shrekfan246 said:
Indeed, if someone gets warned for making an advertising thread, they could just use this thread in their appeal, and say "Well it's okay for the staff to post a thread like this, why can't I?"

Because this thread gives the impression that threads like this are allowed now.
And if that's the case, I won't be patronizing this website much longer.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
And how much would all that BS cost?

I just got a decent desk and a chair that doesn't match for $15NZD, admittedly I needed to clean the desktop and the chair has images that are done in a similar style as North Korean propaganda posters but still...

WHAT SORT OF STUDENT CAN BUY THIS CRAP!

Lionsfan

I miss my old avatar
Jan 29, 2010
Y'all need to find a new hobby or something. Yes, this is stupid spam, but to call this the last straw is just ridiculous. Nobody forced you to click the topic, and it's one freaking line on the list of threads

IceForce said:
Mods, please take this crap down immediately. This is nothing more than a spam thread.
Unless spam threads are allowed now. Have the rules changed while I wasn't looking?

This forum is "Off-topic Discussion". The clue is in the name. Where the fuck is the discussion here?
shrekfan246 said:
From now on, if anyone gets warned for posting an advertising thread, they should just use this thread in their appeal, and say "Well it's okay for the staff to post a thread like this, why can't I?"

Because this thread gives the impression that threads like this are allowed now.
And if that's the case, I won't be patronizing this website any longer.
There's always been a difference between the staff and the users. It's why MovieBob/Yahtzee/Jim don't have to adhere to the CoC

MrMixelPixel

Jul 7, 2010
Huh, well... I can't imagine how whoever implemented this thought it would go well. If this becomes a common thing, I might start getting annoyed myself. Can't bring myself to that yet though. I just don't care enough.

IceForce

Is this memes?
Legacy
Dec 11, 2012
Lionsfan said:
Y'all need to find a new hobby or something. Yes, this is stupid spam, but to call this the last straw is just ridiculous. Nobody forced you to click the topic, and it's one freaking line on the list of threads
While it's true that people are complaining about the existence of a thread they didn't actually have to click on, that's not the point.

The point is, the Escapist is now blatantly breaking their own rules in order to make a quick buck. That's not cool, and pretty low for a website like this to stoop.
Lionsfan said:
There's always been a difference between the staff and the users. It's why MovieBob/Yahtzee/Jim don't have to adhere to the CoC
It's funny because there's a clause in the CoC that says that "if they brought their language or flaming onto the forums, they would be held accountable, just as any other forum user would be"

Granted this thread wasn't made by Yahtzee/MovieBob/Jim, and has no flaming in it.
But it's on the forums, and as the rules state, someone still has to be held accountable.

sky14kemea

Deus Ex-Mod
Jun 26, 2008
For everyone who's angry about this thread:

I'm pretty sure this was just put in the wrong forum section. If you click the first link, it sends you to the News page.

This just shows that jumping to conclusions is a bad thing. ^^

I'll be moving it to it's proper forum now.

Teoes

Poof, poof, sparkles!
Jun 1, 2010
sky14kemea said:

I'm pretty sure this was just put in the wrong forum section. If you click the first link, it sends you to the News page.

Yay for Spidermod.. (although this is as much News as it is [Off-Topic] Discussion!)

OT (lawl): When I found myself considering ways to get rid of all the ads on the Escapist, the method I plumped with was paying the PubClub subscription. I'm not blowing a gasket like some folks are, but I can sympathise with everyone's distaste. This is not cool.

Also, is this what our Community Manager has been up to instead of replying to my questions? They're not important but I don't like feeling ignored.

IceForce

Is this memes?
Legacy
Dec 11, 2012
Staskala said:
Well, at least you didn't file it under "News" this time...
They have now.

Though I fail to see how this could be classed as "news".
Eppy (Bored) said:
Are we going to be seeing a lot of these 'Sponsored' stories? Because I will happily pay more for my PubClub subscription if it makes them go away.
I very much disagree with this train of thought.

The fact that you've ALREADY PAID for a premium membership, and yet you're STILL seeing advertising threads like this popping up, shows how bad the situation is.
You shouldn't have to keep shelling-out more and more money, to keep the ever increasing number of ads at bay.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
Timotei said:
EeveeElectro said:
(Also, nice to see you around again Timotei! ♥)

Are you SUUUUURE it's me?

[sub][sub][sub][sub]But yes, I have returned[/sub][/sub][/sub][/sub]​
Timotei is back!!
It's been a long time, good to see you around!

Timotei

The Return of T-Bomb
Apr 21, 2009
sky14kemea said:

I don't think people are upset with the section it was posted in, but rather the substance of this "article". And if it's been moved to News Room, how is it newsworthy?

A slap in the face is still a slap in the face, no matter what you would rather decide to call it.

Thedutchjelle

Mar 31, 2009
Don't buy from Target.
Do it the Amsterdam style - if you see old furniture standing at the road, waiting to be picked up by the garbage collectors, SIT ON THAT SHIT AND CLAIM IT + call a friend to pick it up with a car. Usually it's still very decent stuff and it's only thrown away because the owners bought new replacements.

I know quite a few people who got their stuff together like this. Costs: zero.

The basket tip from previous thread is also golden. You can do it even cheaper if you get a load of cardboard boxes from a supermarket (over here it's common for supermarkets to put their cardboard boxes that they received the goods in near the exit, so that customers can use them to pack their goods with. Not quite sure how common that is elsewhere on the world).

Target also seems to belief that students get an airfield hangar as a room, judging by how large everything is.