Evolution

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
It seems like half the time, its not "Survival of the fittest," its "Survival of the sexiest." :p

kasperbbs

Dec 27, 2009
Erana said:
It seems like half the time, its not "Survival of the fittest," its "Survival of the sexiest." :p
No matter how sexy you are, you can`t reproduce if youre dead.

Xanadu84

Apr 9, 2008
omega 616 said:
Thats the bit I am not getting. You have these horsies trying to much on the bottom leaves, they all have necks roughly the same size (your not going to be having one horse with no neck and one 20 foot long), are the females walking round thinking "oooh his neck is 1 mm longer than all the others, I shall mate with him!" and the males are thinking "yeah, shes into me but her neck is short as hell! Now her over there has a really long neck but shes not a looker!".

Say all animals are like that, there are no great or very weak, there just all kind of samey. How does the female spider, with venom so weak a flea wouldn't even get dizzy from it choose a mate with slightly stronger venom, how does she know? Same for the male? How do they know "If only I had more powerful venom I could eat that lizard".

Why did the jumping spider decide to make wasps it's main meal? How did it get the ability to jump so far? Why didn't it stick to building a web? How did it learn how to get hold of the wasp but avoid it's sting?
You are underestimating just how long a time frame we are talking about here. If a horse has a neck a few MM longer, which helps it eat leaves, it will be more successful. Were talking, like, able to avoid starvation 1% more often then the shorter necks. Maybe, when there's a food shortage, 101 longer necks survive, 100 shorter necks. A tiny, minuscule difference that we would dismiss, but is still there. When that generation mates, any individual horse may be 1% more likely to mate with a longer neck. 51 times out of a hundred, it will choose the longer neck. The weaker of the long necks get stuck with a short neck slightly more often then half. Give this a few dozen, maybe hundred, maybe more, generations, and then you will have some horses with necks a whole couple centimeters longer. Maybe they are 5% more likely to not die of starvation. Well now its very obvious who the horses are with longer necks, and animals are programed to not like creatures that are different. So Long necks mate with long necks much, much more often (Maybe the difference percentage wise is all the way in the teens!), short necks with short necks. Over millions of years, those 1%'s accumulate and compound endlessly, and you start getting real change. Its like compound interest: It adds up fast, even if fast by evolutionary standards is thousands of years. Eventually, you get a change that we can see.

As for the spider, well, it decides to eat the wasp because it is starving and will die if it doesn't. A bunch of spiders start doing this, and maybe one can jump a few milimeters farther, so it catches that wasp an extra 1 time in a hundred, which saves the life of about 1% of those slightly further jumping spiders. Some may get another few percent because it knows how to avoid the sting. I think you can see where this is going. A tiny change gets multiplied by a tiny amount, hundreds and hundreds of times, until the change becomes huge. And chances are, once some spiders started jumping, there were spiders that DID stick with there webs, and were likely better at making webs then the jumping spiders. The spiders didn't stop spinning webs, some spiders just found a different niche, and they diverged.

Scorched_Cascade

Innocence proves nothing
Sep 26, 2008
randomsix said:
omega 616 said:
If animals eat the weakest or an abnormal baby did these evolutions occur? Surely the mother would have seen the mutation and eaten it.

If I made a new animal, which had no defence or offense, then plonked it down in the animals version of hells kitchen (Aus) how would it evolve and adapt to the enviroment? If it gets eaten then it can't send a message to it's kids saying "evolve a way to stop being eaten. It sucks!", so how does it over many generations evolve the ability or a way to stop it'self being food?
If the first paragraph above were true, then there would be no evolution. To my knowledge it is not.

That isn't how evolution works. You take an existing animal and nature keeps killing off the members of its species that are the worst at surviving. The result is that ones with traits which are better suited to the environment live and give those traits to their children.

I'm not sure where you got this idea of evolution, but it isn't good. If my explanation isn't good enough, I suggest you find some entry level text and read that.

[sub]Sorry I did just quote you for a cheap meme related laugh. I apologise, it's like a compulsion at the moment.[/sub]
kasperbbs said:
Erana said:
Israel's IVF clinics politely disagree.

OT: There is nothing here I feel I can add other than cheap jokes, while I understand the theory others here have beaten me to explaining it and have done so better than I could.

Xanadu84

Apr 9, 2008
Erana said:
Evolution-wise, the purpose of being "fit" is to survive long enough to have sex. Evolution wise, nothing else matters besides having kids that can have kids in turn.

kane.malakos

Jan 7, 2011
omega 616 said:
Thats the bit I am not getting. You have these horsies trying to much on the bottom leaves, they all have necks roughly the same size (your not going to be having one horse with no neck and one 20 foot long), are the females walking round thinking "oooh his neck is 1 mm longer than all the others, I shall mate with him!" and the males are thinking "yeah, shes into me but her neck is short as hell! Now her over there has a really long neck but shes not a looker!".

Say all animals are like that, there are no great or very weak, there just all kind of samey. How does the female spider, with venom so weak a flea wouldn't even get dizzy from it choose a mate with slightly stronger venom, how does she know? Same for the male? How do they know "If only I had more powerful venom I could eat that lizard".

Why did the jumping spider decide to make wasps it's main meal? How did it get the ability to jump so far? Why didn't it stick to building a web? How did it learn how to get hold of the wasp but avoid it's sting?
What you need to realize is that nature is extremely hostile. Lots of animals die, so even a slight advantage can make a difference. In the giraffe example, being slightly taller means that they will be able to eat more leaves, which makes them healthier. Unhealthy animals get picked off by predators more often. Picture a single generation of these proto-giraffes. Some are pretty short, some are a little taller. The tall ones have slightly more to eat, so they're fairly healthy in general. The short ones aren't quite as healthy, and a few of them get picked off by predators. Now, a higher proportion of the population is tall. Since height is based mostly on genetics, the next generation of proto-giraffes will have slightly taller members on average. Repeat a few million times, and voila. This is evolution by natural selection.
What you were talking about is sexual selection, where one gender chooses a mate based on traits that they see as desirable, even if it's not good for the species as a whole. This is why we have peacocks. Bright and bold plumage is generally a sign of good health, so peahens kept mating with the most impressive peacocks. Unfortunately for them this got so out of hand that peacocks can't really fly because their plumage is so large and unwieldy.
As for the wasp and spider example, you're approaching it in a slightly different manner. The jumping spider probably never built a web. It and web-building spiders just have a common ancestor that had 8 legs and all the other basic characteristics of a spider. Some groups of spiders lived in a place which had a bunch of early insects. The spiders were slightly bigger or faster, so they were able to eat the insects. As the insects evolved more defenses, like a stinger, flight, etc., the spiders who were best able to adapt to these changes got more food, so they were more likely to survive and reproduce.

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
kasperbbs said:
Erana said:
Yeah, but not everyone who survives is at the peak of perfection. Once animals get old enough to mate, its often the attractiveness that takes precedence. Animals are designed to prefer to mate with what they find attractive, and being attractive is not always the most adept at existence.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Animals aren't guaranteed to simply survive - plenty of species simply die out.

My understanding is that the ones that survive have some advantage initially simply by way of luck, and over time the species adapts further to the environment.

Dec 14, 2008
omega 616 said:
TheDist said:
Theory in science is the most solid you can get and not only did we come from apes, we ARE apes.
In a book a read called "the general book of ignorance" it says we came from squirrals, which I much prefer. Don't get me wrong, I love apes and I can see more of a resemblance between us and apes rather than a squiggle but squiggles are sooo cute.

^_^
Well, pretty much all mammals came from rodents that survived the mass extinction that took out the dinosaur.

OT: Animals aren't sentient, they only care about eating and fucking. Some animals chose mates that have traits they are instintively are attracted to, like how Human males are normally attracted to women with large tits. This is from a behaverial adaptation that came from a mutation that continued through the species thanks to the increased chances of survival it gave the organisms who had it.

TheDist

Mar 29, 2010
Rayne870 said:
TheDist said:
Theory in science is the most solid you can get and not only did we come from apes, we ARE apes.
Very true about scientific theory, additionally, your mother is an ape!
lol that she indeed is! My uncle is a monkey too! :p

omega 616 said:
TheDist said:
In a book a read called "the general book of ignorance" it says we came from squirrals, which I much prefer. Don't get me wrong, I love apes and I can see more of a resemblance between us and apes rather than a squiggle but squiggles are sooo cute.

^_^
Heh, squirrels are evil man! The cute thing is a front for their agenda of evil!

master m99

Jan 19, 2009
Erana said:
this is kinda true, because what we, or any other animal think of as "sexy" is actually something usefull to there survival, usualy anyway, for example a slender and fitter girl tends to be seen as more attractive then one who may be overweight, this could be because the slender fitter girl can run for longer periods of time possably after prey or away from preditors. and ya i guess posting this in responce to what was obviosly a silly and funny post might not have been propper but i just wanted to expand upon what you said =)

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
Coraxian said:
I do smell a hint of troll here.

Never mind me..
Isn't what you said considered trolling? Posting something totally unrelated to the thread, just to get a reaction? I am aware that I am "feeding the troll" but I don't take kindly to being labled a troll when I am just asking questions.

Erana said:
kasperbbs said:
Erana said:
Yeah, but not everyone who survives is at the peak of perfection. Once animals get old enough to mate, its often the attractiveness that takes precedence. Animals are designed to prefer to mate with what they find attractive, and being attractive is not always the most adept at existence.
This is my thinking aswell, surely there not admiring the more adapt mates, there admiring the more "sexy" mates. So is it just pure fluke the "sexiest" mates are also the most adapt?

Austin Howe

Dec 5, 2010
Read The Selfish Gene by Richard Dawkins. It's still a somewhat disputed interpretation, but it makes a lot of sense to me. Basically, genes constantly mutate from any given member of a species to the next. The ones with certain genetic mutations that die the least are the ones that survive. That's a vast oversimplification. Read the book.

BioHazardMan

Sep 22, 2009
There is so much evidence for evolution that denying it is like denying the holocaust, most people just automatically deny it in the face of huge evidence because it would bring their faith to shambles.

Jun 11, 2008
Elcarsh said:
Glademaster said:
The thing is Evolution is only a theory(wouldn't be called a theory otherwise) and not fully complete and of badly put across in modern society. Although the general idea of it does exist we can't really say we came from apes. I am sure we have a similar ancestor going back millions of years but then again if you go back far enough we all came from space dust.
*facepalm*

Yes, evolution is a theory. D'y'know what else is a theory? Gravity. Relativity. Thermodynamics.

Here's a rule of thumb: In science, theory is another word for proven concept.
No. When it is fact ie considered to be true by most of the scientific community like Evoultion is then fine. Just saying right we have a pretty good idea what Gravity is why don't we stop looking into it? That is a really piss poor attitude to have. If we just stuck to theory we would still think that light is a stream of particles and atoms look like plum pudding. If we stopped there we wouldn't of thought light was a wave and then photons. We wouldn't know anything about electrons, protons, neutrons, quarks and etc.

I never said it was a bad theory I just meant that we shouldn't just stop there. We can always come up with something better and fine tune it. Thinking that this is the best we are going to get is a bit silly. Maybe I could of said what I was saying there more clearly but that is what some people think from evolution and that is not true as you have said.

The fact that I said we can't say we come from is true because despite what people think is we can be categorised like normal mammals.

TheDist said:
Glademaster said:
The thing is Evolution is only a theory(wouldn't be called a theory otherwise) and not fully complete and of badly put across in modern society. Although the general idea of it does exist we can't really say we can from apes. I am sure we have a similar ancestor going back millions of years but then again if you go back far enough we all came from space dust.

Great thanks for taking what I said completely out of context. Just to restate what I have already said. Yes I know theory is the best we can but stopping at one theory and deciding not to improve on it is a bit stupid. For example(restating again) we wouldn't of known about subatomic structure or the structure of a proton or neutron if we just deciding to take one theory as true or complete. We can't really evolve from apes when we are apes. That is a bad statement to make. To say we evolved from apes is more to say we evolved to monkeys ie have tails. I do see what you are but it is badly put across.

Also I would like to say that thinking something is fine just because it is fact by science is not a good idea. We should always strive to improve on theories like Evoultion so we can build a more complete model of what it is. Building on previous theories is necessary. Without it we wouldn't have relativity or the idea that light is a photon.

I hope I made what I was trying to say a lot clearer.

master m99

Jan 19, 2009
omega 616 said:
Coraxian said:
I do smell a hint of troll here.

Never mind me..
Isn't what you said considered trolling? Posting something totally unrelated to the thread, just to get a reaction? I am aware that I am "feeding the troll" but I don't take kindly to being labled a troll when I am just asking questions.

Erana said:
kasperbbs said:
Erana said:
This is my thinking aswell, surely there not admiring the more adapt mates, there admiring the more "sexy" mates. So is it just pure fluke the "sexiest" mates are also the most adapt?
in some cases yes its kinda like a fluke but the odds are rigged in evolitions favior lets say we have 1 female blaa blaa and 10 male blaa blaa's now which she makes with is up to chance at this point and male number 3 lets call him frank (dont ask im just throwing random names out now =P) has a 1 in 10 chance of having kids with the female but if a deciese hits which effects male blaa blaa's but which frank is immune to due to mutation and lets say 5 of the other males die franks chances of having kids doubles to 1 in 5. im sorry im very tired so my explination sucks