Evolve Won't Support Mods At Launch

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Evolve Won't Support Mods At Launch

Turtle Rock says Evolve might implement support for mods post-launch but it won't be there out of the gate.

The best online shooters, or at least the most durable, tend to be those that support mods. Mods allow creative (or bored) fans the opportunity to change up the game, making it into something different - and often, something better. Some mods are simple while others are complete overhauls, and the odds are pretty good that if you've spent any meaningful amount of time shooting at other people online, you've got your favorites.

But when Turtle Rock unleashes Evolve on the world later this year, it will do so without mod support. "We're not against it," studio co-founder Phil Robb told Rock, Paper, Shotgun. "I'm a big fan of that kind of stuff. I mean, if it ends up coming to be, then that's awesome. But we're still very much in development. I don't think we have anything concrete yet."

It's not exactly the most unambiguous answer to a question I've ever heard, but when Robb was pressed about whether that meant mods won't be considered until after launch, he said, "Probably, yeah."

As RPS pointed out, Turtle Rock has been successful but it's not a huge studio, and it's developing the game for both next-gen consoles and the PC on its own, which is a pretty heavily workload. But while Evolve will offer multiple player classes and alternate modes of play, the basic underlying game seems pretty narrowly focused, and that could prove problematic in the long run.

Turtle Rock announced yesterday [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/134708-Evolve-Release-Set-for-October-21-Pre-Order-Bonuses-Revealed] that Evolve will launch on October 21 for the Xbox One, PlayStation 4 and PC.

Source: Rock, Paper, Shotgun [http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/05/23/evolve-mod-support/]

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
It would be better if they spend time working on it and release it when it's ready, but if this is just marketing-speak for "we can't be bothered because it might compete with DLC down the line" then don't even waste my time talking to me.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Well I wouldn't hold my breath, there were plans of skins and monster packs long long ago and those won't buy themselves now will they...

NuclearKangaroo

Feb 7, 2014
"we will never add mods, stop asking about it"

i cant believe how devs still do this shit, its insane, after the success skyrim, arma 2 and just cause 2 because of mods, it should be a given to support modding for your games, its basically a win-win-win-win-win situation

- mods increase the lifespan of a game, keeping it relevant, so by the time you announce a sequel the game remains fresh in the minds of the public
- mods can spawn a very successful modification that can significantly increase your sales numbers, such as DayZ, Counter Strike, Just Cause 2 multiplayer, Team Fortress, Dota, etc. hell if you are smart, you are going to bring these moders aboard to expand your number of franchises and create more successful games, like Valve and Bohemia have done
- mods can create whole new genres or significantly affect existing ones, changing the gaming landscape forever, like Dota, Counter Strike and Team Fortress did
- this is a little controversial, but moders can fix your game, like what happened with dark souls, which became playable thanks to durante and his DSFix mod
- mods DO NOT affect your DLC sales, as Skyrim proved

arguably the only way in which mods can affect your business negatively, is if you have a game series that is being anualized, you are not interested in extending the life of your franchise, in fact, you probably want to kill off previous entires in the series to make people buy the newer games

then again, thats a fucking disgusting sales tactic to begin with

Clowndoe

Aug 6, 2012
NuclearKangaroo said:
That's nowhere in the article, why did you put that? They said maybe later.

Something people seem to have a lot of trouble with is the fact that modability isn't a check-box you tick for PR, it's actual work and development time. Even though you're building the game now it's not the same thing. Red Orchestra 2 for example took months to get reasonable mod tools, the ones on release were incomplete and you can't use the monetization accusation because they only released one piece of paid DLC.

Besides, day one mod tools should be pointless if the game is decently optimized and optimization mods usually do without as far as I'm aware.

Mahorfeus

Feb 21, 2011
I don't get what the problem is here. If the game is worth half a damn, then it won't need mods. Not to start with, at least. It's not like they are completely shutting out the possibility.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Wasnt Saints Row 3 and 4 also supposed to have full mod support? Whatever happened to that?

NuclearKangaroo

Feb 7, 2014
Clowndoe said:
NuclearKangaroo said:

Something people seem to have a lot of trouble with is the fact that modability isn't a check-box you tick for PR, it's actual work and development time. Even though you're building the game now it's not the same thing. Red Orchestra 2 for example took months to get reasonable mod tools, the ones on release were incomplete and you can't use the monetization accusation because they only released one piece of paid DLC.

Besides, day one mod tools should be pointless if the game is decently optimized and optimization mods usually do without as far as I'm aware.
yeah, just like battlefield "wont add mod support yet"

http://kotaku.com/5485700/bad-company-2-devs-have-nothing-but-love-for-the-modding-community

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/dice-afraid-to-release-battlefield-3-mod-tools/1100-6392163/

and titanfall "wont have mod tools at launch"

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/130988-Titanfall-Wont-Have-Mod-Tools-at-Launch

yeah ive heard this shit before, if mod support is not there at launch is unlikely to ever be added

the only time ive seen the whole "we will add mods later" PR bullshit actually pay off is with sim city, and that was only after the game itself turned into a complete clusterfuck, one year later, and even then the mod support added was just pityful

making a good game is also a lot of work, they could just put a blank DVD on the box and be done with it, mods in my opinion, is part of customer satisfaction, its something that should really be looked into when you make a PC game, port or not, and it can greatly benefit you in the end

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
So basically going by the usual reactionary comments here I'm going to assume the game is going to be the shittest game imaginable and that the prophecy of the world ending will come shortly as mods at launch were not on the checklist of appeasing the few gods.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
I think it's delusional to think this game will allow mods. It won't happen. It's weird that people think that is a standard feature in PC games. It was never that standard. Most games I played growing up on the PC were not moddable. It's an online game, afterall. Mods to a lot of people mean cheating (which is completely stupid and wrong), and a lot of developers fall into that same trap. That is just my opinion though, I could be wrong... I want to be wrong.

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
I hope they realise this is just about synonymous with "We never intend to implement support for mods so you buy our DLC".

Rozalia1

Mar 1, 2014
Seems wise, why bother with the extra work for such a tiny minority after all.
Good PR too, I'd personally use the "art line" about how our companies art-piece isn't there to be vandalised, but this will do just fine except for a few select people whose entitlement overpowers their reasoning/understanding.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
I'm not really seeing the issue here, and I have to wonder if most of those who have responded to this thread actually even read the article. No where in the article does it say that the developers are against mods or will not allow them, it simply says that as they are still developing the game they aren't planning to have built in mod support right at launch. They even say that it's likely mod support will be included post launch.

Rozalia1

Mar 1, 2014
StriderShinryu said:
I'm not really seeing the issue here, and I have to wonder if most of those who have responded to this thread actually even read the article. No where in the article does it say that the developers are against mods or will not allow them, it simply says that as they are still developing the game they aren't planning to have built in mod support right at launch. They even say that it's likely mod support will be included post launch.
Have you yourself read their posts? Seems most make clear that they think its all PR speak for "we hate mods, deal with it".

zehydra

Oct 25, 2009
Considering these are the guys who did the Left 4 Dead games, and is owned by Valve, I don't think there's much to worry about. Left 4 Dead 2 has great mod support, and so it already establishes that this company has a history with providing mod support.

Rozalia1

Mar 1, 2014
Charcharo said:
Rozalia1 said:
StriderShinryu said:
Have you yourself read their posts? Seems most make clear that they think its all PR speak for "we hate mods, deal with it".
Whilst I do not believe they hate mods (this is unthinkable for a developer to believe) I do believe its just a way to be "certain" any future DLC will be sold without the compatition of mods.
That and appeasing the majority of people that are dumb and believe mods equal cheating... which is sad for gaming.
And if they are they should be lauded, not scorned. They are a business after all and if it can effect their buy rates on downloadable content, than they do what they have to do.
Money > mods at the end of the day.

As for being against mods being an unthinkable stance, I'll use your usual argument. As gaming is art to certain people than you'll find there will be some folk out there who will not want the unrefined, and unworthy tinkering with their masterpiece.

TheUnbeholden

Dec 13, 2007
Clowndoe said:
NuclearKangaroo said:

Something people seem to have a lot of trouble with is the fact that modability isn't a check-box you tick for PR, it's actual work and development time.
Which they isntead devote to DLC. Do you see a reoccuring issue here?

Rozalia1 said:
And if they are they should be lauded, not scorned. They are a business after all and if it can effect their buy rates on downloadable content, than they do what they have to do.
Money > mods at the end of the day.

As for being against mods being an unthinkable stance, I'll use your usual argument. As gaming is art to certain people than you'll find there will be some folk out there who will not want the unrefined, and unworthy tinkering with their masterpiece.
Mods increase a games longevity, so its hardly a anti-business stance to support modding, so no they shouldn't be lauded or scorned. Its never a simple decision, I'll grant you that. Money = Mods, more people buy the game and over a longer period of time. DLC eventually drop in sales like any product, mods on the other hand keep games alive.