Excluding Women From E-Sports Does Not Legitimize It

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Mcoffey said:
Lightknight said:
The toxic nature of the community towards women alone should allow for the existence of at least some gender distinct competitions. But the "big ones" absolutely shouldn't segregate on gender.
That's really only dealing with the symptom of the problem. When we stop tolerating the toxic nature of the community, we stop needing gender separated events.
First off, dealing with the symptoms of the problem is what you do when your core consumer appears to be a community of sexist/bigoted assholes if all these reports on e-sports are to be believed. To get rid of the core of the problem could potentially mean losing your core audience if they really are as bad as people say.

Next, I don't have a problem with a men's competition for the same reason I don't have a problem with a women's book club or a women's competition. There is nothing inherently wrong with this division being made even when skill/performance is equivalent.

As I said originally, the problem comes when there is a disparity between the two events or if there is unequal opportunities for both. For example, if there is only one women's only event but five for men. That's bull unless someone comes up with a magic reason I haven't thought of. But if there are five women's events and five men's events and the prizes are proportionate to the number of participants then who cares?

Now race? That would be a different discussion entirely (distinction implies significant differences. Something you can argue across gender lines but not race).

AJ_Lethal said:
I can see the dillema in here. If you separate men and women you are kinda enforcing segregation because women will take the "safe space" thing condescending. If you put them together assholes gonna be assholes and shit will get worse before getting better.

We're fucked either way.
This is true. Hopefully this will reflect more on their failure to curate a terrible culture rather than anything women have done wrong or their need to be "protected". If the companies doing this understand that this is an action being taken out of failure on their behalf then this is ok as a sandbag wall to stop a flood. But if they think they're solving the problem or doing this because they're good at their jobs then that's silly.

Scott Rothman

Feb 2, 2012
Karadalis said:
Ah yes.. traditional asian mysoginy at its best... that happens when you let a organisation from a culture thats still to this day traditionaly sexist run the show on an international level.

Also:

Women only tournaments are okay because... reasons... but male only tournaments are BS (*hinthint* both are BS). Equality much? Either we have limited tournaments or we have free for alls. You cant rip into people for having male only tournaments while at the same time standing there proclaiming that women only tournaments are fine. Makes you look like a hypocrit.
Female only tournaments are totally okay, as they are typically under-represented. Every tournament already is a male only tournament. If we are ever able to level the playing field enough, then I will wholeheartedly agree with you

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Steve the Pocket said:
Jeezus. And I think it's bad enough that real sports are gender-segregated, but at least those have the excuse of not wanting men and women together in the locker rooms. What the fuck is these people's excuse, seriously? No. I don't want to hear it. They're fucking assholes. Every last one of them, without qualification. If any of them object to me calling them a fucking asshole, they have two options: Demand this be changed, or quit. Period. I'm just... I want to hit people with something hard and loud right now.
Actually in real sports genders are segregated because women can't seriously compete with men physically. Taken to the limits of physical development like pro-athletes are, men will always top out higher. This goes for anything from Martial Arts, to Pro-Football. While it was decades ago now, they at one point gave a woman a chance to prove she could compete in Martial Arts against a guy, she was ranked #1 in the women's leagues and they put her up against some dude that was ranked like 20th for men or something like that. A lot of people actually expected her to win, but the dude threw her around like nothing, and even pretty much stood there and gave her a chance to try anything she wanted. The bottom line is, it's not happening. Your not going to see even Rhonda Rousey beat a fairly has-been fighter like Brock Lesner in the Octagon (if he came back) if they decide to really go at it. The size, weight, strength, and yes even speed, are just too different.

When it comes to E-sports it's a touchier subject because it's all mental and fine-reflex based, where it's generally agreed there are no differences between men and women.

The problem as I see it is that it's a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" equasion. When you get down to it men and women think differently, and while there is overlap or even those who think in ways that coorespond heavily to the other gender, the exceptions tend to be fairly rare. Psychologists, Sociologists, and others have gone on about this for decades, and the bottom line is as the book put it "Men Are From Mars, Women Are From Venus". You even see this in gaming where it seems a lot of the ladies go on about how a lot of these games are giant testosterone-fests and that has nothing to do with who the protagonists are. At the end of the day men tend to be far more aggressive, and directly competitive, as well as do a better job of thinking tactically or strategically when it comes to destroying or overcoming someone or something. The whole thing where men are naturally the warriors and protectors and women are the nurturers and providers so to speak.

The point here is a little different from what you might think, while there are some women who are going to be able to game the same way as guys, that's going to be fairly rare. I honestly don't think women are hitting a real "wall" in E-sports for the most part so much as having limited interest by the numbers when it comes to that level of competition. Indeed all-girl gaming teams like Ubisoft's "Frag Dolls" and the infamous "Team Siren" (actually fairly low ranked) have been around for a while. If you just have one set of competitions a general "league" your probably going to see women poorly represented simply because of the limited interest, combined with the fact that those who are interested are going to be decimated by guys when it comes to most competitions which involve various kinds of combat simulation which the male psyche is better in tune with. As a result a few girls will step up, but you might see long droughts without any on the highest levels, and of course people will scream "sexism" and raise the spectre of political correctness, and of course that same controversy will lead to questions when a girl DOES rise through the ranks, especially if she's highly marketable (attractive or with an appealing personality), leading to allegations of game fixing and so on. Separate leagues mean the girls who do game can get together meaning the limited numbers can gather without anyone being forced out by the competition, and most of the players will be thinking within the same basic guidelines. Of course the top girls in such leagues will probably be more than capable of playing against guys, and that's what exhibition matches and multi-league championships are for. If I was setting up a large E-gaming league I would gender segregate the general competition, but make the finals something each league sent their best people to. Or end things with a final match to crown a grand champion where the men's champion plays the women's champion or whatever else.

I don't expect a lot of agreement here, and maybe even some attacks, but I understand the thought processes involved, and can't say I entirely disagree. In this thread I doubt the points will be popular or acknowleged but I don't think general competitive leagues would have the result people think.

Of course to be fair, this might change if we start seeing games that don't involve simulating some kind of battle (which even Hearthstone does) become popular enough internationally to spawn competition. Some women have a killer instinct, no denying that, but it's a lot more rare than the media would have you believe, and really I think a big part of the behavior during these tournaments and high level play comes from the fact that you have to be really aggressive and have predatory instincts to get that far.... and honestly a lot of the trash talking is designed to get to people (aggressive/predatory behavior), and is all about using anything and everything you can to distract or get a rise out of the other person playing. The very fact that there is complaints about sexist comments and such and demands that they be "off limits" sort of makes the point, if your that easy to hurt or offend, for ANY reason, then your mind is probably not in the right place to be operating at this level. Being able to deal with that crap is part of the talent. Sort of like how in real sports the players go out of their way to try and intimidate each other, your typical scrimmage line isn't exactly a friendly place.

When it comes to competition, to be honest my basic attitude is racism/sexism/bigotry or whatever else only works if the guy on the receiving end has a complex about it to begin with, or is easily offended. When you walk into a competition knowingly, you should kind of expect the other guy to do anything he can to get into your head. If you can't deal, you don't belong there. Of course this does NOT apply to more general play, for example this kind of garbage doesn't belong in your basic MMO or whatever where there isn't any kind of prize or meaningful ranking on the line. Even in a PVP game someone getting like this is an idiot, but if your in an official CoD, LoL, or whatever tournament, expect it.... and let's be honest, the more public you are, the more personally the other guy is going to tailor their attacks.

I'll also be honest in saying that complaints about racism and sexism seem to be generally American phenomena, or directed at white guys who say stuff. For the most part it's ignored in the other direction. You have Japanese players using terms like "Gaijin" (which despite what you might think is derogatory), and of course Chinese call non-Chinese "dogs" (indeed the character for Foreigner and Dog were the same in Chinese writing until fairly recently). I have a hard time when it's such a dual standard and given the heavy Asian participation in a lot of these tournaments. Call an Asian a slur your a bad guy, some Asian calls you a dog and he's just doing his thing.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Scott Rothman said:
Karadalis said:
Ah yes.. traditional asian mysoginy at its best... that happens when you let a organisation from a culture thats still to this day traditionaly sexist run the show on an international level.

Also:

Women only tournaments are okay because... reasons... but male only tournaments are BS (*hinthint* both are BS). Equality much? Either we have limited tournaments or we have free for alls. You cant rip into people for having male only tournaments while at the same time standing there proclaiming that women only tournaments are fine. Makes you look like a hypocrit.
Female only tournaments are totally okay, as they are typically under-represented. Every tournament already is a male only tournament. If we are ever able to level the playing field enough, then I will wholeheartedly agree with you
Not trying to start an argument, I'm just asking because I don't know if you know something I don't. But are you saying that females don't perform at the same levels as men or just that the gender ratio is so steep that the likelihood of a woman winning is almost null.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
The best thing IeSF and other organizations can do to legitimize e-sports for everyone is not to tolerate sexism in any space.
Okay... how? No really, how would anyone ever accomplish this? It's impossible to police this. I'm sure IeSF has strict harassment guidelines already.

IeSF might like to inflate its own ego but it's just a handful nerds in a bunch of countries who organize events with support from "HQ" in Korea. They don't have legions of employees and CIA like bugs to implant on every team member, manager, and attendee.

Is it just "Send the message this isn't okay"? Not only do I think that's not enough, because everyone should know it's not okay, they partnered with TAFISA a few months ago that sponsors programs like this.

I also find it incredibly disingenuous to allege that there was widespread support of Bakhtanians in the Pakodzi scandal from the gaming community. Everyone knows about this because it was awful. I don't think I spoke to a single person on the issue who had anything but complete contempt of Bakhtanians.

Note that I want IeSF to do everything it can against harassment, I just don't realistically think all the policy in the world will stop it if it's as absolutely rampant as this article makes it out to be.

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
Toastngravy said:
tl;dr

It's, (from my understanding) a private thing; Meaning they can do whatever they damn well please. That said, if you're going to complain about this complain about the, for example purposes only, Boyscouts. That's stuff a girl could do, but they can't. Why? Because it's a private organization that along with women bans homosexuals.

You can believe what you want about it, but they don't need to change for you. You can make your own tournament if you want to put your own rules or lack there of on it.

Tl:dr: All I hear is "wah". They can do what they want. Make your own to set your own rules/regulations.
Poor show of trolling. Even your analogy is incorrect (there are such a thing as "girl scouts", the boy scouts eventually recognising there is no legitimate reason to prevent girls from joining in). Also, just because it is a private organisation that is free to make its own shitty rules, doesn't mean we can't criticise them for making shitty rules, and that we shouldn't encourage them to revoke the shitty rules.

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
Lightknight said:
Scott Rothman said:
Karadalis said:

Also:

Not trying to start an argument, I'm just asking because I don't know if you know something I don't. But are you saying that females don't perform at the same levels as men or just that the gender ratio is so steep that the likelihood of a woman winning is almost null.
If we were talking sports that depend on physiology, then the very best male athletes outperform the very best female athletes (that is to say, the World's fastest woman is nowhere near as fast as the World's fasted man etc). But computer and board games are cerebral and there isn't much to say that a woman can't compete at an equal level to men.

That being said, women aren't normally encouraged to take part in these cerebral sports; this results in a lack of interest, and we end up with fewer women overall competing at the top levels. By increasing the profile of female tournaments in gaming, you are essentially offering encouragement to girls to take part - that is to say, if a girl sees more women taking part in publicised sport, they are more inclined to think the sport is "for them too", and won't feel discouraged in taking part. The more girls that feel they can take part, the more that will. The more that will, the more champions you will see to rival the male champions.

LoneWolf83

Apr 8, 2014
This is fucking stupid. Fist of all, as Carly stated, it does nothing to legitimize e-sports as sports. Secondly, e-sports by deffinition are not sports.
a contest or game in which people do certain physical activities according to a specific set of rules and compete against each other
: sports in general
: a physical activity (such as hunting, fishing, running, swimming, etc.) that is done for enjoyment
Merriam Webster online dictionary [http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/sport]
A sport by definition is a physical activity and sitting at a computer or console is not physical activity.

Hixy said:
Steve the Pocket said:
Jeezus. And I think it's bad enough that real sports are gender-segregated, but at least those have the excuse of not wanting men and women together in the locker rooms. What the fuck is these people's excuse, seriously? No. I don't want to hear it. They're fucking assholes. Every last one of them, without qualification. If any of them object to me calling them a fucking asshole, they have two options: Demand this be changed, or quit. Period. I'm just... I want to hit people with something hard and loud right now.
No the reason physical sports like rugby and football are segregated is because men have a physical advantage over women in strength and speed???
I mean seriously don't even try and and call that segregation for the sake of it, it's common sense.

However when it comes to E-sports that goes out the window and the playing field is even so any segregation is bullshit.
There are plenty of wemen who can compete in sports just as well as men, why deny them the chance simply because they have vaginas instead of penises? It is segregation for the sake of outdated and dumb ideas. If a woman wants to compete in a sport and is physically capable of doing it why deny her the chance?

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
Are you happy now whiners? Now women get to compete with the men, meanwhile the men cannot compete in the women's events. Yay equality.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
Hixy said:
Steve the Pocket said:
No the reason physical sports like rugby and football are segregated is because men have a physical advantage over women in strength and speed???
I mean seriously don't even try and and call that segregation for the sake of it, it's common sense.

However when it comes to E-sports that goes out the window and the playing field is even so any segregation is bullshit.
I've always thought it unfair that women are forced into their own leagues. Why shouldn't a women be allowed to play sports with a man professionally if she wants to? If she can.

Because men still hold this primitive belief that women need to be protected for their own sake.

Haukur Isleifsson

Jun 2, 2010
I still think that it's worthy of discussion if some degree of separation between the genders could encourage more women to get into traditionally male hobbies/sports. Like Carly says in her article it can be very isolating to be in an extreme minority in a group. Could it not be that more women would be willing to try out things like e-sports if they would not have to experience that isolation? Not to mention the sense of alienation, unwanted attention and even sexual harassment that might come with it. Sure it would be best if those things simply didn't happen but until we can guarantee that is it not better that women only leagues, tournaments etc. get to be "safe places" from such things?

Perhaps it would be best if there existed both separate and mixed tournaments so that everyone could choose what ever they want.

Sylocat

Sci-Fi & Shakespeare
Nov 13, 2007
E-Sports won't be a "legitimate" sport until its fans are getting in bar fights and starting riots over it.

Peaceful Winter

Jun 7, 2014
I don't know what bothers me the most , the fact that people keep calling this crap e-sports (video games are NOT sports DAMMIT) , or the fact that IeSF (and others like it) think it is wrong for men and women to participate in e-sports together , especially considering there is no physical contact (with other players) required to play the games.

AJ_Lethal

Jun 29, 2014
CardinalPiggles said:
I've always thought it unfair that women are forced into their own leagues. Why shouldn't a women be allowed to play sports with a man professionally if she wants to? If she can.

Because men still hold this primitive belief that women need to be protected for their own sake.
Because in some sports the physical gap becomes a chasm due of physical/physiological differences 95% of the time. Like in the martial arts example on page 2. Simply enough, women (generally speaking) in theory have to work harder for catching up with men's physical strength or to develop enough skills to offset the difference in physique.

Of course, this is an area where research is throughly needed to find out if mixed leagues can be feasible in this day and age.

Majinash

May 27, 2014
RaikuFA said:
Because the only people that participate in this crap are neckbeards who think only men who started playing fighters, LoL or whatever the second they got cut from the umbilical cord should play.
I don't mean to attack your view, but I find your comment kind of offensive.

To my first point, why are we still taking groups of gamers and labeling them? I understand if back in the 90s when I talked about final fantasy that people viewed me as a nerd or a "neckbeard" but of all places this is a gaming site, why are we still calling people names for playing video games?

And as a second point... I've never heard this other view anywhere. The few E-sports personalities I know of don't seem to hold these sentiments. I've been watching Trump stream hearthstone for awhile now and it has improved my game greaty. He always answers questions and seems to be very encouraging to people in their play.

I've watched a lot of DOTA2, and while I don't follow the Chinese or SEA scene due largely to the timezone/language barrier, the western scene has always looked very welcoming to newer players.

I feel like a large part of your issue is how you think people are excluded from E-sports because they havn't been playing long enough. I don't think this is some prejudice against people who started too late, as it is simply a barrier of entry. I wouldn't expect to start playing basketball 5 years ago and join the NBA today, simply because 5 years isn't really enough time for someone to become good enough to play at a professional level. I would expect a large number of NBA players to have started playing basketball early in highschool, or even before that, because to do anything at a professional level you have to put in a lot of practice.

If I've misunderstood anything please let me know. It's just this thread feels like the old anti-gamer attitude I used to see being aimed at gamers by other gamers. And all the examples you used (while maybe true) I just havn't seen myself.

Voulan

Jul 18, 2011
Eri said:
Are you happy now whiners? Now women get to compete with the men, meanwhile the men cannot compete in the women's events. Yay equality.
You mean the women's events that get created in response to events that are automatically made to be male-only because being a male-only competition is considered more legitimate because women are considered inferior in competitions for some unfathomable reason so they need to create their own just to get the chance to compete in the same competition that has no gendered difference whatsoever?

I'm just going to assume you're the only person upset by this.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Voulan said:
Eri said:
You mean the women's events that get created in response to events that are automatically made to be male-only because being a male-only competition is considered more legitimate because women are considered inferior in competitions for some unfathomable reason so they need to create their own just to get the chance to compete in the same competition that has no gendered difference whatsoever?

I'm just going to assume you're the only person upset by this.
That's quite the run-on sentence. It's kind of hard to parse.

One of many ways in which "e-sports" are different from the real thing is that there's little barrier between a "top-tier" player and someone just getting started. David Beckham isn't about to come out on the field and play soccer at a local playground or college, but there's relatively little in most games to prevent someone from playing with or against someone "tournament level" outside of an organized tournament on the Internet.

In short, there aren't the same barriers to achieving "tournament level" play- or receiving tournament-level guidance- that there are in "real" sports for not directly and immediately playing in tournaments, with professional-level colleagues and coaching immediately on hand. Watching Martina Navratilova play tennis isn't going to make one a significantly better tennis player, no matter how closely one scrutinizes her game; watching a top player play Starcraft just might.

All this is leading up to saying that I can feel some sympathy with those who feel allowing female-only tournaments but not male-only tournaments is a double standard- it is, and presuming it's justified because of sexism is rather a lame argument. If and when male-only tournaments are no longer acceptable, the same should be true of female-only ones. It's just not reasonable to assume that women "need a protected space" while men do not, or that because some men behave badly all should be punished be exclusion. You don't create equality by nurturing double-standards. When there's bad behavior- harassment, discrimination- by all means, root it out by enforcing fair and universal rules. But there isn't some sort of weight of debt that means anyone should be obliged to play "catch up" until some mythical impartial third party decides that the situation has achieved parity.

Declaring that women have to be protected because men will always behave badly is sexist- and neither men nor women should accept such a stance out of hand, whether it's a man or a woman who states it.