Excuuuse Me Netflix: Live-Action Zelda Series May Be in the Works

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Excuuuse Me Netflix: Live-Action Zelda Series May Be in the Works

An anonymous source claims that Netflix is working with Nintendo to produce an exclusive TV series based on The Legend of Zelda.

Details are still sparse, but reports have begun to surface that Netflix is working together to produce a live-action TV series based on <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/the%20legend%20of%20zelda?os=the+legend+of+zelda>The Legend of Zelda.

While <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/netflix>Netflix has apparently declined to offer any official comment, an anonymous source has indicated that the streaming service is currently seeking out writers to work on an adaptation of the game franchise that would serve as a family friendly equivalent of Game of Thrones. The company is also purportedly working closely with <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/nintendo>Nintendo on the project.

While time will have to tell if these reports hold water, the very prospect of a Zelda TV series will likely be a point of extreme excitement for the franchise's large and long-lived fanbase. Originally released in the United States in 1987, it's been privy to only one official television adaptation: an animated show that lasted a single season in 1989. By most accounts, it wasn't very good.

The Escapist is currently reaching out to Netflix and Nintendo to see if we can learn more.

Source: Wall Street Journal

xaszatm

That Voice in Your Head
Sep 4, 2010
I have the script!

Impa: You must find the seven pieces of the Triforce!

Link: Haaaaa! Heyaaaaa! Sherrrah!!!!

Shhhhhh! It's a secret to everyone!

OT: Hopefully, if it comes through, it is good.

Alexander Kirby

Mar 29, 2011
Can't imagine this series would adapt to film well, never mind a TV show, never mind something with the structure of GoT. The games are structured in such a way that the story is inherently linked (^&#8704;^) to the gameplay, without it it just wouldn't be Zelda.

I- I mean what are they going to do every episode?

Alfredo Jones

Jul 1, 2013
Mmmm, I don't know. As much as I want this to be real I have a feeling that this is just a farce. If it isn't then I want to wait and see who's working on this series before I make any sort of judgement on it.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
....This is 100% bullshit and everyone knows it. You did not need to make a news post about it. The live action is what REALLY sets off the alarm bells because it just wouldn't work. Plus, let's face it, Nintendo's been incredibly protective of adaptations of their IPs for a reason.

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
I am wary about believing gaming news that originates from WSJ. They have reported on rumors, without any sources cited, as fact in the past and been quite wrong.

P.S. Thanks

Veldel

Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Legacy
Apr 28, 2010
Lost in my mind
Country
US
Andy Shandy said:
Danny De Vito for Tingle. You know it makes sense, Nintendo/Netflix.
*Says like Joseph Joestar* OHH MY GODDD*

That's like so perfect a role for him.

OT:I want a metroid live action series and for it to embrace just how fucked up stuff is in the games. He'll it can be the manga remade and it would be legit.

Zelda could work if they get some proper talent

darkhallwaygames

Sep 10, 2010
Aiddon said:
....This is 100% bullshit and everyone knows it. You did not need to make a news post about it. The live action is what REALLY sets off the alarm bells because it just wouldn't work. Plus, let's face it, Nintendo's been incredibly protective of adaptations of their IPs for a reason.
When the sony leak happened we found out there was a Zelda movie in pre-production.
My guess is that nintendo is shopping the IP around but being really picky about what actually ends up getting made.

Robot-Jesus

Aug 29, 2011
I remember when IGN did this for april fools, I'm suprized it's taken this long for someone to actually do it.

gardian06

Jun 18, 2012
Alexander Kirby said:
Can't imagine this series would adapt to film well, never mind a TV show, never mind something with the structure of GoT. The games are structured in such a way that the story is inherently linked (^&#8704;^) to the gameplay, without it it just wouldn't be Zelda.

come on it would work fine. you devote 1 episode to each temple (exception to follow), a couple episodes on Link doubting that he has the "courage" then you spend an episode or 2 on a build up, and fight with Gannon, and we have at least a solid season. though with this structure they might have to spend 2-5 episodes on the water temple because Nintendo willllll be involved, and they have not been able to create a logical 3D water temple yet.

DugMachine

Apr 5, 2010
I'm not totally against this but for the love of god please keep him a silent protagonist. I don't know how that will work for TV but please make it work.

Veldel

Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Legacy
Apr 28, 2010
Lost in my mind
Country
US
gardian06 said:
Alexander Kirby said:

come on it would work fine. you devote 1 episode to each temple (exception to follow), a couple episodes on Link doubting that he has the "courage" then you spend an episode or 2 on a build up, and fight with Gannon, and we have at least a solid season. though with this structure they might have to spend 2-5 episodes on the water temple because Nintendo willllll be involved, and they have not been able to create a logical 3D water temple yet.
I never understood why the water temple gets so much hate in OoT its not hard or anything. Hell Dark Link and the temple boss are easysauce.

OT: Have it follow the course of different links possibly with each season following a different hero of [Insert title]

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
darkhallwaygames said:
Aiddon said:
When the sony leak happened we found out there was a Zelda movie in pre-production.
My guess is that nintendo is shopping the IP around but being really picky about what actually ends up getting made.
I really wonder about the validity of that because it just sounded like Avi Arad getting a big head and thinking he could convince Nintendo to hand over Zelda for an adaptation.

Kmadden2004

Feb 13, 2010
darkhallwaygames said:
Aiddon said:
I thought Sony/Arad were chasing after Nintendo to make a Mario movie.

OT: If this turns out to be true, d'you know who might make a good Gannondorf/Zelda casting? Iain Glen and Saoirse Ronan.

Jus' sayin'

Sylocat

Sci-Fi & Shakespeare
Nov 13, 2007
I'm reserving squees until we know more. Was this greenlit so the announcement would drum up interest in Majora's Mask 3D (and the series's actual premiere will no doubt drum up interest for Zelda Wii U)?

Sabrestar

Apr 13, 2010
Again with the animated LoZ hate. Y'all need to realize that cartoon was AWESOME when I was eight.

Objectable

Oct 31, 2013
So, just a random anonymous source, huh?
http://cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/103/103642.jpg