Expect 100 GB Install Size, 6 GB Patches For Star Citizen

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
Well, at my 800kb/s download speed, I am not going to be downloading that anytime soon.

devotedsniper

Dec 28, 2010
I'm not really sure why people are complaining, I thought this sort of size would have been obvious considering some of the console ported games are 30-40GB for a 6 hour campaign and multiplayer. This is a game designed for pc where the land of limited hard drive is a thing of the past if your really struggling to find yourself a 100GB then you probably need a new hard drive anyway, and no I don't think everyone is made of money but if you can afford to buy this game then you can fork out the £40 for a 1TB hard drive to add to you machine/replace the smaller drive.

I paid for a balls to the walls pc experience not a console port for once and that's what I'm getting, and I'm sorry if you have poor internet but that's to do with your country not this game but that's a conversation for a different thread.

If you get past the size, so far the game is looking pretty promising if you've been keeping up with the weekly updates. Also from what I've seen/played the game is pretty well optimized considering a 750TI seems to run the game at 30fps (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWwyQ9HAXvU), most ports are optimized junk unfortunately.

Bonecrusher

Nov 20, 2009
squid5580 said:
unacomn said:
100GB? Man, it sure must suck to be in the USA where you consider 25Mb/s to be broadband. I'm on 200Mb/s and I'm considered to be low tier. Getting Gigabit next year.
I'm Canadian rockin a 5Mb/s connection. Oh sure I could get a faster one like 7-8Mb/s which will charge me for usage over 35Gb. But hey they got plans if you actually use the internet for more than facebook
For one time, I am happy that I'm not living in Canadia but in Turkey.
50mbit unlimited fiber internet good to go.

XDSkyFreak

Mar 2, 2013
Oh lovely, insanely large graphical assets for really preety graphics ... that NO ONE WILL FUCKING SEE. I;ve played just about every single space-sim type of game out there, and trust me: you will probably spend 1% of your time looking at the ships. Rest will be taken up by focusing on the action, fidling with the interface and automation and generaly just about anything else. My god, this game is a trainwreck. I know devs are crazy with graphics these days, but holy fucking shit ... these guys just went full retard. There are no excuses for this, plain and simple. None. When you invested this much space in graphical assets you have failed to properly balance the aspects of your game, and even if by a miracle this won't suck in every way except visualy, this is still a gross miss-use of space in a genre where the graphics were never really important. X-Rebirth, Eve and Elite Dangerous all look fine. They do the job. You do not need to go beyond that. You know why? Because this isn't a god damn beaty show or grpahics engine show-piece, this is a game, and no one will focus on how the ships look beyond basic shape, form and absence of glitches, they will be busy playing the game. God damn I had high hopes for this, but nope. Devs went retarded, not going to offer them money for something so stupid. Not that they need money what with the den of idiocy that is kickstarter paying them.

Floppertje

Nov 9, 2009
XDSkyFreak said:
Oh lovely, insanely large graphical assets for really preety graphics ... that NO ONE WILL FUCKING SEE. I;ve played just about every single space-sim type of game out there, and trust me: you will probably spend 1% of your time looking at the ships. Rest will be taken up by focusing on the action, fidling with the interface and automation and generaly just about anything else. My god, this game is a trainwreck. I know devs are crazy with graphics these days, but holy fucking shit ... these guys just went full retard. There are no excuses for this, plain and simple. None. When you invested this much space in graphical assets you have failed to properly balance the aspects of your game, and even if by a miracle this won't suck in every way except visualy, this is still a gross miss-use of space in a genre where the graphics were never really important. X-Rebirth, Eve and Elite Dangerous all look fine. They do the job. You do not need to go beyond that. You know why? Because this isn't a god damn beaty show or grpahics engine show-piece, this is a game, and no one will focus on how the ships look beyond basic shape, form and absence of glitches, they will be busy playing the game. God damn I had high hopes for this, but nope. Devs went retarded, not going to offer them money for something so stupid. Not that they need money what with the den of idiocy that is kickstarter paying them.
how about the excuse: the people who paid for it asked for it. and since you are apparently overcome with rage at the mere idea of it, I'm assuming you won't be a customer. so what business is it of yours? Why are you getting so mad over something that doesn't have anything to do with you at all?
Are you going to get mad when someone 3 blocks away spends more on their living room carpet than you think they should? never mind the fact that the graphics are definitely something everyone will see because a) you're looking at other people's ships when you're in your own and b) it's not just the ships that look good, everything looks good. By what measure is it a trainwreck anyway?

Joccaren

Elite Member
Mar 29, 2011
crimson5pheonix said:
That's no moon, that's a space station game install!

That's pretty impressive. I'd ask if they could ship a physical copy somehow, but it'd have to either be a blu-ray disk or a massive thumb drive.
They have done polls for box art. There will be four sets of box art. Since we're getting physical boxes, I would assume we will get physical disks as well. Whether that's 12 CDs, a Bluray, or some other amalgamation of things, there will be a physical edition from the looks of things.

As for this, Australian, and this really isn't a problem for me. And everyone knows we have the shittest internet around. 200Gb cap, and something like 2mb download at max, usually much lower. However, for me it'll be a slower patching process as they release alpha, beta, and full game builds. Even if it weren't, wait until the month is about to clock over, leave it on download that night.

Yes, there are people who have worse internet than me, however TBH I think such people would probably struggle to play any MMO - which is what Star Citizen is. Be more able to play it than Star Citizen? Of course, but you'd still struggle. I know. I used to have less than a fifth of my current capacity until a year or so back.

Its a big game, with big patches every few weeks supposedly, however that's what you get if you want something this big.

Some people can't keep up with the way PC gaming is and will be advancing. That's cool. Those games aren't for you. Nothing wrong with it.
At the same time, there's nothing really wrong with this, so long as it makes good use of its size. Only time will tell at this point.

Tsun Tzu

Feuer! Sperrfeuer! Los!
Legacy
Jul 19, 2010
Country
Free-Dom
Heh, I live about 45 minutes outside of Chicago and I can only get 15-20 Mbps...so...1.5-2 MBps?

This would take quite a damned long time to download. But nothing horrific. Maybe a day? Two tops? *shrug*

Hell, I've put off downloading Wolfenstein, which I purchased and actually do want to get to at some point, because of its 50gb download size. I mean, I don't think I have a limit on my cable connection (Comcast. Yaaay.) but I don't particularly want my ISP to start throttling me because of all the big fucking downloads I'm doing either.

So it's a wait and see approach with this one.

iller3

Nov 5, 2014
No way in hell I'm getting started on a spaceship sim that requires it's very own special Snowflake Dedicated SSD-drive.
...Not until SSD drives start costing $20 or less anyway...

Vicarious Reality

Jul 10, 2011
My last computer had a 28Gb hard disk
This is interesting however, specifically world exploring, something i enjoyed in mass effect

I gotta check my skill queue on my amarr alt..

Qvar

OBJECTION!
Aug 25, 2013
It's interesting the noticeable amount of people who are butthurt over some imaginary slight and are waiting for this to fail just out of spite. I think one can't go much more petty than that.

But hey, maybe it's just me, because as our friend captcha says 'love is blind'