Expect 100 GB Install Size, 6 GB Patches For Star Citizen

mrdude2010

Aug 6, 2009
Dang, I thought 35GB for Shadow of Mordor was big. If I have internet without a cap, I'd definitely consider it. KSP is holding me on space games so far, though.

Spartan448

Apr 2, 2011
Well, fuck this. I had hopes for this game, but if it wasn't the $300 spaceships, this is now going to be the thing that alienates anyone with a budget.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Zontar said:
Here in North America, caps are the rule, not the exception. This applies as much to Canada as it does the United States. It has to do with a multitude of reasons (in the US it tends to be because of de-facto monopolies in place, while in Canada it's due to our internet infrastructure being unenviable due to our low population density).

I also wouldn't call Eve "one of the smaller ones" when it comes to MMOs (I assume that's what you're talking about) what with it managing to be the second largest MMO which has managed to make the subscription model work after WoW, and has managed to keep steady player growth despite the high learning curve. Though in all fairness I only bring it up because a fair deal of SC fanboys (who knew you could be a fanboy of something that's not even out yet?) have called the game an Eve killer, much in the same way SW:ToR and countless others where going to be the WoW killer (and it's going to turn out the same).
Well yeah, US seems to like being anally assaulted by ISPs and it seems like its finally reaching a boiling point. still hardly the developers fault that one country out of many fucked themselves over with internet. I can understand canadas internet being slow in the rural areas because they territory there is HUGE (still no excuse for the urban areas though).

When i said Eve is one of the smaller ones i meant install size. Eve has one of the smallest instal size of modern MMOs.

shrekfan246 said:
Strazdas said:
This entire post is literally a shining example of the first thing I was talking about. You have the most amazing internet in the world, good for you.

Guess what?

Not everybody is quite so lucky. The entire point is that a lot of people still have to get their connections through incredibly terrible companies, and it would be nice if video game developers had the presence of mind to remember that. But hey, if they don't want to give a toss then that saves me money in the end, so win-win all around.
It has nothing to do with luck, only with inability of two specific countries to manage their capitalists.
It is not developers fault or repsonsibility to make sure your internet connection is in 21st century. the ONLY people at fault for this is the same people complaining.

Coruptin said:
Strazdas said:
That does not make sense. My computer is downloading and uploading traffic daily. Some days as much as 1TB of data in a day. thats 1024GB in case you didnt knew, in a day.
Okay, now I'm curious. How the hell are you spending a terabyte of data in a day?
Terabyte is a size i reach rarely, though happens. usually its around 200-300 GB. There are many things that consumes my internet. I am hosting a server for a group of friends and coleagues to connect to, i do backups to an external machine via network, i host some data as a download mirror. I do all this with "Economy class" 100mbps home network. You know why? because our ISPs arent allowed to fuck us over.

DoPo said:
But...they are common. Why would you NOT have 1 TB HDD? I mean, unless you chose to have an SSD instead. But on the HDD side, the terabyte drives have been accessible for years. Moreover, the cost for buying one vs buying two 500 gig ones has been shrinking more and more - it's been several years since the terabyte ones cost at least twice as the 500 gig ones.
In terms of GB/dollar the best option is to buy 2TB ones nowadays. though 3TB ones are very close behind. all the smaller ones are much more costly per GB. Outside of specific work enviroment computers i dont know why would anyone anywhere buy less than 1TB of HDD. well except the console users that got fucked again.

Grumman

Sep 11, 2008
Jake Martinez said:
I agree with you. I'm actually surprised that people are complaining so much, "OMG THIS GAME HAS TOO MANY HIGH QUALITY MESHES!".
High polygon count meshes don't make a game good. Huge texture sizes don't make a game good. Uncompressed audio or video don't make a game good. More than anything else, what makes a game good is code, and code is tiny.

dragoongfa

It's the Krossopolypse
Apr 21, 2009
Damn, I am lucky if I get 700kbps download and that's the fastest speed any ISP has in my area.

Better have a disk option.

Yan007

Jan 31, 2011
Grumman said:
Jake Martinez said:
I agree with you. I'm actually surprised that people are complaining so much, "OMG THIS GAME HAS TOO MANY HIGH QUALITY MESHES!".
High polygon count meshes don't make a game good. Huge texture sizes don't make a game good. Uncompressed audio or video don't make a game good. More than anything else, what makes a game good is code, and code is tiny.
Look bro, I get what you mean and I generally agree. I used to code a lot about a decade ago and it's easy to see that things get shitty when stuff gets out of proportion.

What you have to keep in mind though is this game is meant to be that way. It's not like Final Fantasy 13 on PC requiring 60GB of space mostly because of it's bilingual cinematics requiring different lip syncing , thus double the pre-rendered HD videos. 60GB for FF 13 was a lot, especially when you consider the game does nothing exceptional visually or otherwise even though I liked it.

I haven't backed Star Citizen yet nor played the released modules, but people I know who tried them are satisfied. I know of 2 guys who can't run the game because their PC is too weak and that sucks for them, but it was clear from the start that this project would get huge very fast. Also, there is no guarantee the game will be awesome or play well on current hardware so I'm cautiously optimistic and I'm waiting until a month after release to see whether it's worth it to get a new PC for this game. If the game delivers 70% of its promises I'll buy a new PC for it.

I'm mostly a PC gamer nowadays (I have a wii u for my Nintendo games, I'm a sucker for Nintendo), and I'm super excited about Star Citizen because I love space exploration games and ever since I started gaming I've had dreams of a game so huge you could fly anywhere, get off your ship without apparent transitions/loading screens and you could literally get lost into the world. Unfortunately, it's quite evident with recent console games that consoles are decades away from this and the only way to do it properly is to go all out on a PC-only title. ManyPC gamers are very excited about this title because it has the funding necessary and the goals that were set are very high from the start.

thewatergamer

Aug 4, 2012
Well this will take a week of solid internet downloading for me... Oh well if its good I'll probably download it anyway but man... the game had better be AMAZING to justify that kind of download

Flammablezeus

Dec 19, 2013
Granted, I haven't read all of the comments here, but the vast majority seem to think that install size = download size. You know it'll most likely all be compressed for the download and unpacked for the install? Even then, it's not like you'll have to download it all in one go, I'm sure.

UltraPic

Dec 5, 2011
mastermerrick said:
Elite: Dangerous was around 30GB, and it was a world the size of our ENTIRE GALAXY. This better be the real-life size of a galaxy super-cluster at the very least.
Frontier: Elite 2 used 645752 bytes on the amiga and contained the whole galaxy too :D.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
The textures they are using as the default, are 8k. That's why it's so damn big. If they reduced them to 2k it would be a more manageable size. Put the 4 and 8k packs as optional downloads.

Octodad

Jun 12, 2014
UltraPic said:
mastermerrick said:
Elite: Dangerous was around 30GB, and it was a world the size of our ENTIRE GALAXY. This better be the real-life size of a galaxy super-cluster at the very least.
Frontier: Elite 2 used 645752 bytes on the amiga and contained the whole galaxy too :D.
I think missed out a decimal point there, because Elite Dangerous is only around 3.5GB (i.e three point five, not thirty).

pilar

Jul 7, 2014
Yan007 said:
Grumman said:
Jake Martinez said:
Look bro, I get what you mean and I generally agree. I used to code a lot about a decade ago and it's easy to see that things get shitty when stuff gets out of proportion.

What you have to keep in mind though is this game is meant to be that way. It's not like Final Fantasy 13 on PC requiring 60GB of space mostly because of it's bilingual cinematics requiring different lip syncing , thus double the pre-rendered HD videos. 60GB for FF 13 was a lot, especially when you consider the game does nothing exceptional visually or otherwise even though I liked it.

I haven't backed Star Citizen yet nor played the released modules, but people I know who tried them are satisfied. I know of 2 guys who can't run the game because their PC is too weak and that sucks for them, but it was clear from the start that this project would get huge very fast. Also, there is no guarantee the game will be awesome or play well on current hardware so I'm cautiously optimistic and I'm waiting until a month after release to see whether it's worth it to get a new PC for this game. If the game delivers 70% of its promises I'll buy a new PC for it.

I'm mostly a PC gamer nowadays (I have a wii u for my Nintendo games, I'm a sucker for Nintendo), and I'm super excited about Star Citizen because I love space exploration games and ever since I started gaming I've had dreams of a game so huge you could fly anywhere, get off your ship without apparent transitions/loading screens and you could literally get lost into the world. Unfortunately, it's quite evident with recent console games that consoles are decades away from this and the only way to do it properly is to go all out on a PC-only title. ManyPC gamers are very excited about this title because it has the funding necessary and the goals that were set are very high from the start.

[HEADING=3]If a 750 TI can run this game (and which it can),
then Star Citizen is more than possible for
a Playstation 4.[/HEADING]​

[HEADING=2]Star Citizen will never be finished.[/HEADING]
That's the sum of recent interviews from Roberts concerning this patch. They can't even release it on USB drives because it constantly updates.

On the flip side, console games are often half the file size of PC versions, so this game would be definitely be possible via PSN.
Especially as the PS4 is expected to hit 40+ million sales by 2017.

Dr. Thrax

Dec 5, 2011
Well, I won't even think about ever trying this ever.
This would take me an entire fucking month to download, because I have shitty speeds, and I'd need to only download it at night so I don't hog all of our bandwidth.
Hell, I desperately need to upgrade my PC and I'm utterly dreading the moment I have to start all of my Steam re-installs, it'll take me about a couple weeks.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
pilar said:
If a 750 TI can run this game (and which it can),then Star Citizen is more than possible for a Playstation 4.
Just in case you aren't in the know, a 750 TI crushes the PS4 in terms of performance. Not quite sure what your point is there mate.

pilar

Jul 7, 2014
mad825 said:
pilar said:
If a 750 TI can run this game (and which it can),then Star Citizen is more than possible for a Playstation 4.
Just in case you aren't in the know, a 750 TI crushes the PS4 in terms of performance. Not quite sure what your point is there mate.
Not when it comes to GPU performance--they're basically the same. It's not debatable if you know anything about them.

Star Citizen is massive on PC because of 8k textures, and which they're implementing it for when that technology is available.

Floppertje

Nov 9, 2009
pilar said:
Yan007 said:

[HEADING=3]If a 750 TI can run this game (and which it can),
then Star Citizen is more than possible for
a Playstation 4.[/HEADING]​

That's the sum of recent interviews from Roberts concerning this patch. They can't even release it on USB drives because it constantly updates.

On the flip side, console games are often half the file size of PC versions, so this game would be definitely be possible via PSN.
Tons of games are released unfinished, early access is based on the idea of playing unfinished games, and honestly, is a game ever finished if you keep updating it? WoW is 10 years old and they're still bringing out expansions. by the same definition, it isn't finished either.

as for the consoles: I believe on the lower settings they could handle SC, but being pc exclusive was always more because microsoft and sony are just too restrictive and mainly because the backers didn't WANT a console port. call them selfish/elitist/whatever, but they're the ones paying for it. Also, as far as the size is concerned: I don't think people who would pay hundreds to thousands of dollars for a game are hurting for disc space.

Pandalisk

Jan 25, 2009
I have 29 GBs of space out of 465. Please Star Citizen don't make me choose between you and my folders and folders of kitten photos.

Also holy hell, the internet in the Irish outback is 300 kb/s, how long would this take me to download? :O
Please come in CD format :S

pilar

Jul 7, 2014
Floppertje said:
pilar said:
Yan007 said:

Tons of games are released unfinished, early access is based on the idea of playing unfinished games, and honestly, is a game ever finished if you keep updating it? WoW is 10 years old and they're still bringing out expansions. by the same definition, it isn't finished either.

as for the consoles: I believe on the lower settings they could handle SC, but being pc exclusive was always more because microsoft and sony are just too restrictive and mainly because the backers didn't WANT a console port. call them selfish/elitist/whatever, but they're the ones paying for it. Also, as far as the size is concerned: I don't think people who would pay hundreds to thousands of dollars for a game are hurting for disc space.

Roberts can leverage console exclusivity.​
SONY and Microsoft have their standards, too. But Roberts knows this platform is set until at least 2020. They received a ps4 demo kit, and he said it was a possibility.

All I'm saying is, if the PS4 hits 85+ million by 2020, Star Citizen could have missed a sizeable chunk of a community of gamers that will pay for content.

[HEADING=3]Backers aren't elitists for not wanting a console move; they're just afraid resources will be taken away from PC development.[/HEADING]

As it stands right now, the game is slated to be somewhere near complete by around mid 2017, so they have a long way from the game being able to show if it's all that was promised.