Experienced Points: No Man's Interface

Shamus Young takes on No Man's Sky NEXT

Read Full Article

Hades

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2013
Country
The Netherlands
Oh so you're back too? That's very nice. I always enjoyed reading your articles and found it a loss when you had to leave.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
Hey Shamus, welcome back. Good to have you. Also, another No Man's Sky write-up? Don't get me wrong, I don't blame you. There is a lot to talk about.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
The Escapist being updated again with normal content. I don't know how to feel about that... I'm frightened.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
I keep thinking something clever is gonna show up if I leave my cursor on an images long enough, am disappointed... or maybe I need to wait longer.

Anyway seems like the escapist really is getting back into gears with all the old band members, wonder how long before shit hit the fan.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Shamus Young said:
congratulations you crazy masochist.
That comment makes me think I have missed the perfect game for me.

PS: Welcome back!

Dosbilliam

Feb 18, 2011
Country
US
Gotta say, it sounded like Shamus had an axe to grind in this column.

Or he would have, but he would have needed to hit K to open his inventory, triple-clicked the grindstone to use it with the axe, then had to rapidly tap ` in order to actually grind said axe. :p

Mistwraithe

Mar 23, 2008
Welcome back to the Escapist Shamus!

Is it bad that while reading this I had the urge to play this game just to experience the madness for myself? I fear I may be a crazy masochist after all...

Kameburger

Turtle king
Apr 7, 2012
Lol look at you, Shamus, posting this article like nothing happened! good to have you back, looking forward to reading more experience points.

ebalosus

Mar 14, 2011
I agree with you about the aggravating UI, and feel that it should get a rework along with the flight model (in order to scare FDev into pulling a finger out).

HK_01

Jun 1, 2009
Wow, you're back too? This is starting to feel like a revival of the old Escapist I used to visit daily.

Absimilliard

Only you can read this.
Nov 4, 2009
I?ll join the choir: welcome back!
I really never had a lot of interest in playing No Man?s Sky, as I like my games to have at least some goal that I?m working towards. Or ignore, as I do have fun faffing about in sandboxes, but even then I feel like I?m making some progress, if just filling in the map, getting exp or resources, or taking out enemy strongholds or the like. I have registered that they?ve added quite a lot recently, which was a promising albeit small and late start, but with this article and my initial disinterest, I can?t imagine I?ll get it anytime soon.

Mar 30, 2010
Welcome back man!

Yeah I know exactly where you're coming from with No Man's Sky. It recently released on XBL, so I was lucky enough to play it for the first time with a lot of the content that people were saying should have been in the original version from the start, but I must admit it is quite a chore. I spend more time searching for the resources needed to allow me to go out exploring than I do exploring. I had assumed that this was simply because I was a rookie, that once I learned a few tips and tricks and had established myself stockpiles of the resources I needed would accumulate (much like the very early stages of a Minecraft game until you have your farms and plantations set up) but your article doesn't exactly fill me with hope - it sounds like that problem never really goes away.

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
The whole time I was reading this, all I could think of was https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PI0MRyUFIXU. Regretably this clip misses a key part of the quote.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
The interface is idiocy in code form, really. Who decided it was a good idea for functions to be represented by indistinct abstract symbols, rather than by the keys/buttons you bound to them? And what sadist is responsbile for creating the waypoint system which creates its own unerasable waypoints that the game all but forces your ship to lock onto when jumping, if you aim anywhere near them?

Apr 5, 2008
Shamus is back! Oh my god, thank Russ Pitts and Entusiast Gaming, this site is alive again. Bob, Shamus....please, someone, anyone tell me they're getting Robert Rath back!? Unskippable?

Shamus Young is back, happy days ahead.