Experimental Game Controller Can Scald or Freeze

KiKiweaky

Aug 29, 2008
Everything starts with babysteps, next ten yesrs who knows what these will be like.

GodKlown

Dec 16, 2009
I can already sense a problem in the midst here. If the controller heats up, what is going to keep it in check that the board inside the controller doesn't get so hot that it begins to melt the solder on the wires? Get into a "hot" situation and all of a sudden your controller stops working because something came detached. Great idea!
Motion controls are so two years ago. Let's make a controller that can scald or cause numbness during gameplay. Is there any way we can get it to shoot acid into people's faces too? How about one that causes sterility?

I'd rather see them spend money on making games better, and let's leave all the immersion technology to a much later date. This is just another gimmick to get you to ignore how bad a game is by keeping you too busy making sure your controller doesn't catch on fire.

coolman9899

May 20, 2010
Ertol said:
Sounds cool if you were playing Lost Planet or something, but where is the application for a regular FPS?
when your arm is crispy then your gun is overheating XD

Bloodstain

Jun 20, 2009
Sounds good for shooting games...as the weapon ingame heats up, so does your controller.

Thedutchjelle

Mar 31, 2009
Ofcourse on it's own this is a gimmick, but when properly implemented I think it can really add immersion. You could call stereo sound a gimmick too, but I'd bet no one here plays game on mono.

chronobreak

Sep 6, 2008
Quick, let's hate on it! It isn't good enough! I don't care that I haven't even tried it!

Please. It's a good thing people are looking for new ways to immerse players in their enviroments. If you don't like it - don't use it, right?

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
You know what I'd use it for? Penalizing.
Imagine; you're playing an online FPS, and you decide to hack. Some guy reports it, there's proof of it, and you're given a warning. You decide "Nah, I'm to awesome for them to do something." And keep hacking. Then you smell something. And your hands feel funny. You look down to see the controler has BURTN YOUR HANDS OFF! Try hacking now, stumpy!
Ok, that was extreme, but it illustrates my point in how this can discourage people from doing stuff like that when it makes their controler too hot or cold to touch, leaving them a sitting duck. 2-for-1, baby!
Either that or the controler heats up and vibrates to give you a relaxing masage when you've died so many times you're about to go into a nerd rage. Penalizing jerks and soothing the irritated.
As long as they don't make it part of actual gameplay, I'm fine with this.

SillyNilly

Sep 17, 2009
Carlston said:
Solid Snake "Otacon, I am putting my thumb on this oven...it is part of my plan to get the plans to metal gear!"

Otacon "Snake make sure you have a plate of Ice cubes next to you!"

Snake "Right, not shamelessly plugging a pointless technology again... this is all part of the plot!"
Silly thing is, Metal Gear Solid games always have some 'break the fourth wall' moments.

This I expect to happen if Kojima uses this tech for a future MGS game.
I completely expect this. He must be taking notes just about now..

Carlston

Apr 8, 2008
JoobNoob said:
Carlston said:
Solid Snake "Otacon, I am putting my thumb on this oven...it is part of my plan to get the plans to metal gear!"

Otacon "Snake make sure you have a plate of Ice cubes next to you!"

Snake "Right, not shamelessly plugging a pointless technology again... this is all part of the plot!"
Silly thing is, Metal Gear Solid games always have some 'break the fourth wall' moments.

This I expect to happen if Kojima uses this tech for a future MGS game.
I completely expect this. He must be taking notes just about now..
Damn I knew I would encourage him.