Explain teenage mothers to me

Sansha

There's a principle in business
Nov 16, 2008
DarkArk said:
Vault101 said:
and when you say "provided with the tools" teenage parents should just be given all that stuff for free? theres welfare for that, and everyone can see how awsome thats works /sarcasm
I'm not talking about welfare. I'm talking about the ability to get a non-skilled job that paid reasonably well right out of high school. Those existed once, and I'd rather they come back.
A non-skilled job that pays well, for someone right out of high-school? Get fucking real. Non-skilled jobs don't pay well because there's a huge supply of workers for them, so employers can still pay minimum wage and fill employee rosters.

Actually could you give me an example of one of these jobs that once existed?

And I'd prefer teenagers are looked at as big children because that's what they are. They don't have the real-world experience, are expected to have fun while they're young and are still doing a great deal of learning.

What you're describing is society pre-WW1, and frankly that society was nightmarish for those at the bottom.
I'm at the top and I still say no to that.

CODE-D

Feb 6, 2011
look dude, Im from Kentucky so I know. We are #1 if not close at times in teen pregnancy. I remember girls having sex and getting pregnant in middle school.

You know what the fuck it is?

No fuckin adult supervision
Girls being idiotic romantics
Horny boys
the words "I love you"

and thats basically all it takes to make babies.

Johnny Impact

Aug 6, 2008
Kids are generally:
1. Horny.
2. Bad with consequences.

Therefore, unwanted children. Therefore, kids trying to deal with consequences they didn't think about and are completely unready for. There is an enormous difference between thinking you've grown up and actually being mature.

Sjakie

Feb 17, 2010
some of the worst cases, the kind that come on TV because of this, should be sterilized or just 'sanatised'. I'm just talking about the parents, poor kids would be better off...

I just think its a lack of: upbringing, functioning brainmatter, balanced worldview, critical thinking but mostly just a combination of those.

Sansha

There's a principle in business
Nov 16, 2008
Johnny Impact said:
Kids are generally:
1. Horny.
2. Bad with consequences.

Therefore, unwanted children. Therefore, kids trying to deal with consequences they didn't think about and are completely unready for. There is an enormous difference between thinking you've grown up and actually being mature.
Quoted for truth.

DarkArk

May 3, 2011
Sansha said:
DarkArk said:
Vault101 said:
and when you say "provided with the tools" teenage parents should just be given all that stuff for free? theres welfare for that, and everyone can see how awsome thats works /sarcasm
I'm not talking about welfare. I'm talking about the ability to get a non-skilled job that paid reasonably well right out of high school. Those existed once, and I'd rather they come back.
A non-skilled job that pays well, for someone right out of high-school? Get fucking real. Non-skilled jobs don't pay well because there's a huge supply of workers for them, so employers can still pay minimum wage and fill employee rosters.

Actually could you give me an example of one of these jobs that once existed?

And I'd prefer teenagers are looked at as big children because that's what they are. They don't have the real-world experience, are expected to have fun while they're young and are still doing a great deal of learning.

What you're describing is society pre-WW1, and frankly that society was nightmarish for those at the bottom.
I'm at the top and I still say no to that.
I guess unions are so far gone people don't even care anymore.

Growing up in the 60s and 70s my mother described just that, kids going off to work at the lumberyard right out of high school and doing alright. Believe it or not but that didn't start really dying until the 80s.

So no not pre-WWI. And can you not separate the economic and social realities of different societies? It's not like the two have to go together by any stretch of the imagination.

Del-Toro

Aug 6, 2008
MassiveGeek said:
The_root_of_all_evil said:
MassiveGeek said:
Yeah, becuse calling someone stupid without giving an argument as to why isn't at all cuntish.
Calling someone stupid, with or without a reason, is an admission that you believe yourself to be better than they are.

If they've become mothers, I think they've already done something harder than you've experienced yet. Perhaps a little humility, or acceptance of their life choices?
No it doesn't. I never said I was better, I said that kids who jump into motherhood before they're able to care for the brat are stupid because it is. I didn't say she specifically was stupid. However, she said I, specifically, was stupid without a fucking reason behind it, and just because she's fucked without protection and got knocked up and had a baby pop out of her vagina doesn't mean she's excused from acting however the fuck she wants without having to stand up for it. Same goes for everyone.
She made the choice to have the kid, I have no fucking sympathy for her oh-so-hard experience. There's something called abortion. I'm fairly confident she can stand her own ground too if she's so capable, white knight.

They can do and say what they want and I can do and say what I want. And that's that.
I'm glad you addressed this before I got too it, now I can caw my agreement. The suggestion that someone doesn't have to back up their arguments or respond rationally to criticism "because she's a mother" might be among the more retarded notions I've ever heard. She's had a kid and that makes her transcendant? She's not accountable to anyone and doesn't have to engage others and back up her points because some screaming attention seeker is waiting for her at home (not keen on children, myself)? I really don't consider motherhood that special this may be a male thing, but when it's happened billions of times the idea that it's a miracle begins to sound pretty hollow.

At any rate, it seems to me that the woman in question was someone priviledged at 18, to have a house and an income that would allow her to support a child and have the kind of lifestyle she claims to have. I highly suspect that both of those things were the father's if her staying home for the time required during maternity did not threaten that and she would do well to remember that most teenage mothers are not so blessed. To her I say that You really are the exception and not the rule and to harbour beliefs to the contrary is to be possessed of a highly warped worldview. Yes, you're doing well, but I suspect that has more to do with circumstance than any impressive, herculean effort on your part. In this day and age 18 year olds tend not to have steady incomes with which a family can be raised, that might not be the case in other parts of the world, but then they have a different timeline for adulthood then we do so when looking at the industrialized world that is entirely a moot point. If you disregarded MassiveGeek because you felt you were her superior then you may want to take the points made about your circumstances into account before you feel so self-congragulatory over your "success" in the future.

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
henritje said:
it,s mostly in countries where there is a huge taboo on sex meaning there is barely any sex ed past "sex is bad" and "babies come from the stork!".
either that or they don't pay attention to biology.
I also think it,s terrible that they turn it in a fucking TV show maybe if schools start teaching sex ed they might prevent this stuff (since I,m not in the US I don't know what they teach in biology)
It's varied how it's taught in the U.S. Some schools don't have any sort of sex ed because ignorant parents don't want their kids learning about it. And the schools that do have it, how it's done is greatly varied.

I was taught very badly. The first instance was in fifth grade when during lunch, all the girls were handed a pad and a little booklet about menstruation that came with a coupon. Sex ed didn't come up again until I was in high school, during ninth grade if I remember right as a part of health class. The teacher taught almost nothing about health (she once showed us a movie about Wal Mart), and the closest we came to sex ed was a sheet of paper that told us how to put on and take off a condom (that really disturbed a bunch of guys in the class). She was a fan of showing movies instead of teaching, so we saw such wonders such as Knocked Up, Juno, and a Lifetime original movie about this bitchy kid that wanted to keep her baby but didn't take care of it at all.
On the bright side, I did get to make a comic about conception that involved a banana doing a donut, and I got a 87% or so on it.
(both instances occurred in Queens, New York public schools)

Kahnmir said:
I also think the hormones in our food and water may be affecting these young women's drives and making their "baby fever" worse. I mean, did you know that the average age of "Menarche" (first period) went from like 21 to 13 over the course of the past 100 years? Something caused that, and I'm not sure its a good thing.

Then of course, at the end of the day there is just good ol' human stupidity.
Do you know just how wrong that bold part is? Humans all go through puberty in their teens. It was never 21. You're done with puberty at 21, that's just how it is. But you're half right though with the hormones in drinking water making girls start puberty much earlier. Due to how many female hormones are in our drinking water, girls are getting their first periods as early as eight or even seven. Granted though, it doesn't happen that much. Girls still generally get their first period in their early teens.

Anyway, on topic, teen pregnancy is often a result of kids being too stupid to use a rubber, they feel that they can raise a kid, and/or their religion/family/local law won't allow them to get an abortion. All the girls I knew that had kids (yes, I knew several that had more than one) had them mainly due to their family and religious beliefs not allowing them to have an abortion (it's legal in New York to have an abortion up to three months from conception if I recall right). And they coasted through having these kids because their families do all the hard work while they continued being stupid kids.
The fact that there's so many shows that makes having kids as a teen look like a good ol' time probably doesn't help.

CleverCover

Nov 17, 2010
manic_depressive13 said:
A lot of girls just have it drilled into them from a young age that their purpose in life is to have children. Even as toddlers they're given shitty dolls whose nappies they can change, and that they can push around in a pram, whereas the conventional toys for boys are things like legos and transformers. I imagine that while many girls grow to resent that, some learn to embrace it instead. Maybe they're just too eager to "grow up".
It could be this. It was that way with my little sister for a while. She thought she was grown and was talking about babies because she could handle a doll that "was so lifelike you can't tell the difference!"

I had to calmly explain that real babies were different, messier, louder, more demanding, taxing on the patience, and could not be shoved into a toybox when finished with. And ask my uncle to never again give her a doll like that.

Thing is freaking creepy as hell anyway.

TheTim

Jan 23, 2010
Well i don't know if i have the answer for that. But in the case of one of my best friends, he got a girl pregnant, and even though they didn't want the child, they accepted their mistake and the impeding responsibility and have become great parents to the child. (they were only 15 when he was born).

Bakuryukun

Jul 12, 2010
ShaggyEdiddy214 said:
Bakuryukun said:
Explain Teenage Mothers? Well you see,if a teenage girl has intercourse and gets pregnant and then gives birth to a child, then she is now a "Teenage Mother" I hope this clears up any confusion you had.
Somebody didn't read the OP -_-
Somebody didn't see the joke -_-

Suicida1 Midget

Jun 11, 2011
I would blame the sudden surge on (in the states at least) on two things.
1 Facebook- Update status 'i am pregnant' then everyone else not wanting to miss out on the attention will fallow suit.
2 The show 16 and pregnant (i think it is, never watched it) and teen mom. On a channle that mostly caters to the 'tween' age group, i think it just motivated ppl to get pregnant for the cash.

But i think its also more wroth noting that the human body is better suited to sex at (you guessed it) 18 to 25. In the end we are just animals who want to eat, sleep, mate, and excrete. We are chemically/genetically hardwired for this. Its probably gonna happen of its own accord anyway.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Merkavar said:
well this is what i heard from a early 20 girl.

she was walking past liquour land and there were a bunch of teenage girls all with young kids of there own. they started harassing the girl walking past cause apparently she has a baron womb cause according to thisgroup of people if you haventhad 2 kids by 18 you must be sterile or something els is wrong with you.

so maybe its peer pressure to have kids.

i dont really care when you have kids as long as you can support them but alot of people cant. last i heard people ve kids just for the centerlink money. and having kids with different fathers gets you more money.
that has to be one of the most fucked up things Ive ever heard..for so many reasons

Id say its less about "peer preasure" and more "OMG guys we could like totally get kids together it'll be CUTE"

because PURPOSFULLY having children due to peer preasure...no way (then again mabye you could be peer preasured into having sex...which is where the accident comes from)

I swear to got if I my so called "freinds" at that age even suggest I have a kid I would punch them in the face...then sterilise them for not being fit to reproduce

I know that sound harsh but it makes be both sa and angrey to think thease girls think all they are good for is reproducing....just the reproducing part mind...Id wager they are shitty parents

Talshere

Jan 27, 2010
Dont know about the states but in the uk its because its become and accpeted way to live in certain segments of society. For the most part its eas, you dont have to work, they never really leave home, because even at 40 they still only live 6 doors down from their parents who pck up the slack whenever they want to do anyhing. Rational normal people dont do this because a kid is the end of your life as you know it. Maybe your ready for that maybe your not, thats fine. But these people never move on and never have any expectation to do anything but live 5 doors down from their parents with 5 kids.

Tbh it horrifies me. I grew up in an area where this was the case and I could never go back. Its depressing. Evn the papers proliferate this mentalality when they publish positive stories about 3 generations living under 1 roof (31 yr old mother, with 15 yr old daughter who has a 2 month old daughter herself, I wish I was kidding about this news story). I dont know about you, but the YOUNGEST of my grand parents, with me at 22, is what....74?

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
just now Ive realised perhaps Ive been a little to harsh aboout this

because I think accidents do happen, and I imagine I would be pretty horrified if it happned to me at that age....becase I dont consider myself stupid/uneducated/obnoxious/completley lacking any fucking Idea as to why..just mabye having a babay at that age is fucked up

yet if I did I might have been automatially labelled those things....