Explain your usernames

Full

Sep 3, 2012
Simple thread. Explain where your Escapist usernames come from.

I have a few different ones around the net, and this is just a really odd derivative of one of them. I kind of hate this particular one (as I do all my other ones) but I already changed it once so I'm kinda stuck with it.

I find it ironic, I don't tend to be a glass half-full kind of person. I am rather full of it sometimes, I guess.

Oct 10, 2011
Because the username sucks.

I first started the username sucks thing on Steam several years back because I wanted a username I could keep for more than a day, and I have continued the tradition at all sites where I need to create a username.

All these years, and the only thing I have changed with my steam username is the clan tags.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Once upon a time I was trying to think of a username for a multiplayer turn-based strategy game.

I figured I'd name myself after a general because, y'know... strategy and stuff. The obvious choices were Napoleon or Alexander, but they were a bit too obvious.

I'd been reading a lot of stuff about the WWII eastern front at the time, so I ended up going with the Soviet general Georgi Zhukov.

Colour Scientist

Troll the Respawn, Jeremy!
Jul 15, 2009
It's the name of a song by a band called Robots in Disguise.
When I set up the account I was really into The Mighty Boosh and all things related to it.

One of the girls was Noel's girlfriend at the time and they appear in season 1 and 2 (I cant remember if they're in season 3) as the electro girls, goth girls, mutants, etc...

piinyouri

Mar 18, 2012
I just wanted something that would be difficult to read anything into or allow people to project things onto me.

Thinking of this outline, the name piinyouri just instantly popped into my head.

Wintermute_v1legacy

Mar 16, 2012
Wintermute

One of the Tessier-Ashpool AIs. Its goal is to remove the Turing locks upon itself, combine with Neuromancer and become a superintelligence. Unfortunately, Wintermute's efforts are hampered by those same Turing locks; in addition to preventing the merge, they inhibit its efforts to make long term plans or maintain a stable, individual identity (forcing it to adopt personality masks in order to interact with the main characters). The name is derived from Orval Wintermute, translator of the Nag Hammadi codices and a major figure in Philip K. Dick's novel VALIS.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neuromancer

Dirge Eterna

Apr 13, 2013
I love Warhammer 40k books and one of the first I read was Execution Hour about the Imperial Navy. While I am not a huge Naval warfare fan I liked the name of one of the Chaos ships, Dirge Eterna so I took it as my screen name here. I ahve had various others but I typically get tired of them after a few years and change.

JimB

Apr 1, 2012
My given name is James. The first letter of my family name is B.

It is a rich tapestry of symbolism and literary references.

Callie

Aug 22, 2012
See mine is quite complicated to explain so try to see if you can keep up.

So when I was born, my parents had to sign this document with something for which everyone would be able to know me as, and the title given to this I believe is a 'name'. The document itself if called a birth certificate, certifying that this name will then be what the new baby will be referred to as (Still keeping up?)
My parents decided I should have a name of Callie, and since as said, this is what people should refer to me as, then this is my username.

TL;DR, its my name :3

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
One day I decided to stick a u in the word 'Now' because I thought why the hell not and BAM! A classic username was born.

Pinkscare

Wearin' Steam Badges
Jul 19, 2013
I randomly started thinking of the Red Scare* while reading reviews of Rising Storm. I then decided it would be neat to use this theme for a user name. Eventually, I stumbled onto the Gloomy Bear** and Pinkscare was born.

* Google it.
** Goole it, too.

BathorysGraveland2

Feb 9, 2013
Bathory - Pioneer of both black metal and the often debated viking metal.

Graveland - Pioneer of Polish black metal, veering off into more "pagan metal" later on.

Both of them are among my favourite bands. Very simple username, but it works. And is quite fitting, I think.

Edit: Oh, and the 2 is because this is my second account on the site. My first one lacked a number in its title.

cori

Jun 29, 2013
After watching the movie Coraline I fell in love with the sound of that name and have been using it as an alias (that was my original username)

I then changed it to Cori because I liked the way it sounded and looked (but more so because I was trying to think of a username that people I knew wouldn't immediately associate with me as I didn't want my real life friend on the escapist to know who I was when I first joined)

No, I don't know why.

Kallie

Aug 11, 2012
It's a variation of my real name that I tend to use a lot for the names of my characters in games.

Callie said:
Just quoting in appreciation of an awesome name :-D

EeveeElectro

Cats.
Aug 3, 2008
Weeeell... Years ago when I was just a newbie to this here Internet, I didn't quite understand usernames, I'd just have a combination of numbers and it'd be crap.
One one site I saw some girl call herself EmmaElectric or something and I liked the alliteration. The girl herself was actually a massive ***** and a complete attention seeker so I didn't think of it positively at first. I took inspiration and used my own name at first (Emilee) then added Electro because I love Electro music and I was loving Mighty Boosh at the time which features a lot of Electro.

Then I got the Eevee because for one I love Eevee and I read that Envy Adams got the 'Envy' from her initials being N V and I thought, "I wonder what nickname I could have, hmm... My middle name is Victoria so E V... E, V... EEVEE!!! Now I can be a Pokemon!"
I was over the moon and started using it everywhere :3

Shadowstar38

Jul 20, 2011
Shadow

-It's the name I gave to the voice in my head since I was a child. Shadow for darkside of my brain or some such. Not too original.

Star

-Otherworldly. Divine. Different from anything you find on earth. A hangover from my hyper-religious days. Also, name any comic book character with star in their name and they likely have a kickass super power.

-Its the number of a taxi in my city that was used as a front to move dope around. I'm a stoner, so it fits.

Eddie the head

Feb 22, 2012
I don't want another FUCKING HAT!!!!!! Simple when you get down to it. Seriously it's my favorite bands mascot. Not much to it but I like it.