Exploitable PSP Games Return to the Vita

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Exploitable PSP Games Return to the Vita

MotorStorm: Arctic Edge and Everybody's Tennis are back on PSN and less hacker-friendly.

I don't think I've ever seen a system more scarred by the battle between hardware manufacturers and piracy than the PlayStation Vita. Nearly every facet of the system; from its connectivity software, which downloads and installs updates without asking the user, to the frequent and often mandatory firmware updates, to its absurdly overpriced memory cards, has been tailored to thwart potential hackers. Recently, the perpetual slap-fight spilled onto PSN [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.358207-Rumor-Sony-Suspends-Two-PSP-Games-Over-Vita-Homebrew-Exploit], when hackers revealed that two downloadable PSP games, MotorStorm: Arctic Edge and Everybody's Tennis, could be used to run unsigned code on the Vita. In particular; a program loader called VHBL, which lets users run homebrew titles and emulators.

Shortly thereafter, Sony yanked the titles from PSN, ostensibly for "software stability improvement," and quickly pushed out firmware version 1.65, which patched the security hole the two games exploited. Considering users have to update their firmware to access PSN, the two exploits have been rendered pretty much moot.

Wololo.net [http://wololo.net/wagic/] has confirmed that the exploits that use for the two PSP games no longer work, but the site does mention that an exploit for firmware version 1.67 has been found, using an as of yet unnamed PSP title.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
Sony will never win.

The hackers are just going to target them more now that they're running scared.

Personally, there's just nothing released yet that warrants me getting a PSV.
Maybe when the PSV2k comes out I'll consider it.

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
You know the hackers are just loving this pissing match Sony has decided to engage in. They lose nothing but their time in cracking every firmware update but Sony has to waste thousands upon millions of dollars to patch every loophole they find.

Fight on brothers, a mighty harvest of lulz awaits you.

Lancer873

Oct 10, 2009
I remember the huge business with Homebrewing on the PSP... It really didn't work. Once homebrewers found a way to develop custom firmware, every update Sony made (deemed "OF" for "Official Firmware") had a counterupdate by the homebrewers (CF, or custom firmware). I wonder how it'll play out this time...

loa

Jan 28, 2012
This thing'll be awesome once cracked. So much power to work with... oh, the possibilities!

Ah anyway let 'em have their uphill struggle. They'll never learn, will they.

80Maxwell08

Jul 14, 2010
TizzytheTormentor said:
It will be hacked again, they always are hacked.

By the way, I heard that you cannot play PS1 games on a Vita, is this true? I'm planning to get one in the summer and want to know.
First don't get one. Honestly there's no reason whatsoever. Even it's best games are just better off gotten on another console. There's no guarantee even Gravity Rush will be good right now. Also no you can't play PS1 games on it. I own a Vita and just checked for you.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
Kalezian said:
Evil Smurf said:
you know what they say, potatoes gotta potate, pirates gotta pirate

.......... I dont think anyone has ever said "potatoes gotta potate"

[sub]the hell does 'potate' even mean?[/sub]

OT: You know, maybe if sony would actually make a handheld that was worth it, and didn't fuck over their legitimate customers every chance they get, maybe they could curtail their system hacks.

Who am I kidding, Sony's protocol for anything related to even the word 'hack' is NUKE IT FROM FUCKING ORBIT, THE HACKERS ARE DESTROYING EVERYTHING WE HAVE EVER WORKED FOR BY MAKING GAMES THEMSELVES!
I may be starting a trend here...Further more Sony making gamers days by giving them something to laugh at.

ThePS1Fan

Dec 22, 2011
Didn't Sony learn with the PSP, you had to update the firmware 6 times every time the thing turned on and it still became a huge source of homebrew and piracy.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Wow, that was quick. Essentially, now that is has been exploited, the ones that have done it won't have any problems. They will simply take the "OF" and turn it into "CFW" in a couple of days. Eventually it'll end up like the PSP. They have "SIGNED" PSP rips. You don't even need to have CFW to run these on the PSP. I'm just surprised it happened so quick, to be honest. It took a long time on the PSP and even longer on the PS3. Now, would the ability to pirate games on the PSV make it worth buying? Probably not since the price is still ridiculous for a handheld.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
I really wish hardware developers understood that... they are hardware developers. People do not want proprietary operating system. People love tinkering with things they physically have.

This is why we need true open source consoles as well as much stronger open source handhelds.

This nonsense is getting ridiculous because in the long run nothing good will come of this.

Kross

World Breaker
Sep 27, 2004
Grey Carter said:
Yo. Check this out guys, this is insanely great, it's got a 28.8 BPS modem!
Yeah? Display?
Active matrix man - a million psychedelic colors!

Sorry, I love that movie too much and haven't seen it in ages. :(

80Maxwell08

Jul 14, 2010
Foolproof said:
TizzytheTormentor said:
It will be hacked again, they always are hacked.

By the way, I heard that you cannot play PS1 games on a Vita, is this true? I'm planning to get one in the summer and want to know.
First off, hello Sartre. Still waiting for Godot?

Right now, it currently doesn't. Most sources say that the thing will get Ps1 compatability around E3, but everyone agrees, and Sony have said many times, that the system will have Ps1 compatability eventually, its just a question of when.

Ps2 compatability is a matter of if, as is if this compatability does come about, will it happen just with the Classics or the HD rereleases. Sony haven't confirmed that one.

Mini's, Neo Geo games and PsP games, all available right this second.
80Maxwell08 said:
There's no guarantee even Gravity Rush will be good right now.
Apart from the reviews calling it an absolute masterpiece, and how Eurogamer actually had to cheat in order to not give it a perfect score (they imported it and took marks off for not understanding the Japanese copy)
No offence to you but after watching recent events there's not a single website I trust right now. I'm the game has a demo I'll try it out but I'm not trusting any "professional" reviewers now.

Grey Day for Elcia

Jan 15, 2012
The PSP failed in huge part due to the rampant pirating that plagued the system. I agree that piracy isn't some devil child that ruins business and kills people, and I know full well how bias and corrupted the IP laws of the land are (existing solely to keep the rich rich and often actively working against the artist) but the PSP really did fail because of piracy. There were plenty of games that were great and it was actually played a lot, but once it became so easy to download roms... no one paid for UMDs. It wasn't perfect and it had its fair share of shovelware, but it didn't deserve its fate.

It's a great example of how piracy can be very destructive. If used to actually share things, try digital products and get the word out to people who might not otherwise hear it, I can see piracy having an arguable stance. But when all people do is steal games and do everything in their power to crack hardware to make it braindead easy to never spend a cent and still enjoy everything someone's product has to offer... It's the difference between torrenting an album, liking it, sharing it with friends, then going out and some of you actually purchasing records or merchandise the artist has on offer, and pirating an entire discography, handing it out online and never supporting the artist in any way.

The Vita is a failure for different reasons, but you can't blame Sony for being twice bitten and now shy.

DISCLAIMER: I'm not endorsing piracy and believe artists should be able to continue their craft for us all to enjoy and to make a living from it.

mariofan1000

Sep 25, 2009
Grey Day for Elcia said:
The PSP failed in huge part due to the rampant pirating that plagued the system. I agree that piracy isn't some devil child that ruins business and kills people, and I know full well how bias and corrupted the IP laws of the land are (existing solely to keep the rich rich and often actively working against the artist) but the PSP really did fail because of piracy. There were plenty of games that were great and it was actually played a lot, but once it became so easy to download roms... no one paid for UMDs. It wasn't perfect and it had its fair share of shovelware, but it didn't deserve its fate.

It's a great example of how piracy can be very destructive. If used to actually share things, try digital products and get the word out to people who might not otherwise hear it, I can see piracy having an arguable stance. But when all people do is steal games and do everything in their power to crack hardware to make it braindead easy to never spend a cent and still enjoy everything someone's product has to offer... It's the difference between torrenting an album, liking it, sharing it with friends, then going out and some of you actually purchasing records or merchandise the artist has on offer, and pirating an entire discography, handing it out online and never supporting the artist in any way.

The Vita is a failure for different reasons, but you can't blame Sony for being twice bitten and now shy.

DISCLAIMER: I'm not endorsing piracy and believe artists should be able to continue their craft for us all to enjoy and to make a living from it.
The PSP did pretty damn well. It got a lot of money.

Not to mention, this hack DOESN'T EVEN PIRATE GAMES SO THE ARGUMENT YOU ARE MAKING IS COMPLETELY POINTLESS.