Explore These No Man's Sky Facts Ahead of the Game's Release

PatrickJS

Jun 8, 2015
Explore These No Man's Sky Facts Ahead of the Game's Release

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1301/1301820.jpg

To get prepared for No Man's Sky's upcoming release, check out these five facts on the space-exploration title.

No Man's Sky [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/141692-No-Mans-Sky-Infinite-Worlds-Trailer#&gid=gallery_4438&pid=1] comes out on the 21st of June, and it is going to be huge. Whether you are craving every quantum of information you can get on this massive space exploration game, or are yet to be convinced of its potential, you need to check out these awesome facts about the game's development.

User ShadowWolf9891 shared these on Imgur [http://imgur.com/gallery/U1zHZ]:

[gallery=6064]

England-based developers Hello Games have previously made the delightful Joe Danger titles, which has me totally convinced we'll be using mini dirt bikes in our exploration of uncharted, alien worlds. No Man's Sky [http://www.no-mans-sky.com/about/] is coming to PS4 and PC.

sid

Jan 22, 2013
You really need to admire how hard they're trying not to tell us anything. "This game has tons of stuff! here's some numbers" but how does it play, maaaan?

I'm looking forward to this, don't get me wrong, but the game seems so scary right now because of what they're just not talking about.

Sep 14, 2009
not saying these aren't impressive nor the game won't be impressive...

but is it just going to be a literal sandbox universe simulator? I have no interest in the game if it's just that, I need shit to do, and hopefully the pc version will be mod friendly to spice up the game if that is the case. These facts don't really mean shit by themselves, I share the same skepticism I did when the witcher 3 was boasting about its size and scope, thankfully the game had enough quality content to back it up.

K12

Dec 28, 2012
I really wish they'd stop telling us how unique these planets are in obscure mathematical terms and actually bloody show us something... and all of those facts say the same thing "it has a huge number of procedurally generated worlds".

The Antarctic probably has 18 billion billion unique snow flakes but it's still all white and cold!

zidine100

Mar 19, 2009
Proceduary generated, does not mean interesting or fun. It just means your using the same assets over and over again in a different randomly selected sequence. If you cant tell I dont have high hopes for this.

DemomanHusband

Sep 17, 2014
What they fail to tell you is that due to the procedural generation, you'll likely see every mixture of pre-created assets and textures within your first three or so days of playing, and that's optimistic. I'm still willing to give the game a look as long as it really does emulate the scale of its universe as well as it claims, but making this a day one purchase is asking for disappointment.

If only its developers had more confidence in literally any aspect of the game other than its size and mathematically generated 'stuff.'

Pyrian

Hat Man
Legacy
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
Country
US
So... That's an unsigned 64 bit integer. Basically you can wrap each of those planets down to 64 things which you can say are true or false. Or, say, 16 things each on a scale of 1-16. If the latter (and it's just an example but it's probably not far from the truth) then you could see everything the game has to offer in as little as 16 planets; the rest of the variation is just combinations.

Oooo, 16. ;) Doesn't sound so huge now, does it?

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
It's impressive and I WANT this game to be good, but I'm going to need something to go on, like a solid hour of gameplay. They're asking for sixty bucks, not saying they shouldn't, but when you ask for sixty dollars I expect the end result to be worth sixty dollars.

Blitsie

Jul 2, 2012
zidine100 said:
Proceduary generated, does not mean interesting or fun. It just means your using the same assets over and over again in a different randomly selected sequence. If you cant tell I dont have high hopes for this.
And I can't blame you, most games I've played that are based around something procedurally generated ended up being incredibly shallow and my biggest fear currently with No Man's Sky is exactly that. Them being very tight lipped about anything other than "kajillions of planets guys!1!!1!" doesn't help.

Fingers crossed though, Shadow of Mordor was the first game for me to show the potential of games like this and with current tech No Mans Sky can reach some high points

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
I'm in agreement with all these fine folks, the amount of times I've been told how it works equals the number of planets in the game.

What I want to know is, what do I do!? Some smart arse on youtube said "get to the middle" ok then what? I can name planets and animals but so what? I name real world animals anything I want but it's not exactly a thrill.

At the moment it's being very vague, like describing dragon age as "complete the story" and "you can walk". Tell me the cool shit, tell me I can have epic battles with massive dragons, the cool spells, the banter etc.

I just haven't seen the cool bits that encourage me to keep playing.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
If i can't swoop down onto an unsuspecting planet inhabitd by sentient steaks of delicious meat and enslave them through religious propaganda to worship the gods; gravy and roast spuds...conditioning them to feel obliged to jump onto my plate, eager for consumption...i will be severely disappointed, Hello Games and Sean Murray, you weirdly endearing grinning frontman. Law of averages and such.

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
This might all sound great. Ya know, big numbers.
But then you realize, they actually went for quantity over quality. They are bragging that they have a lot of random stuff. It's like Minecraft bragging that it has practically infinite different worlds. Wow, huge amount of the same shit.
Instead of the 19 something billion same-ish planets, I would be happy with 3 hand made planets with interesting stuff to see.

Also you made a mistake in the title. It says "facts" as in plural instead of "fact" as singular. All the images are the same 1 fact. It's a big universe.

Vendor-Lazarus

Censored by Mods. PM for Taboos
Mar 1, 2009
I have a huge interest in Space & Sci-Fi Games so I heard about this game very early on.
I've still not come to any conclusion as to what it's about or what you do in it..at all.

Which is not increasing my hype, but rather pushing me away and making me think they are hiding all kinds of flaws.

Give me a solid 4X games (of which several are now releasing and will soon be released) or some third person Space-Sim instead (screw Elite Dangerous and Star Citizen for being cockpit only and online).

Still, I do nurture a small hope that it will be something good in the end.
A small hope dosed with a lot of cynicism.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Sweet, can't wait to fly around in that shit. Then again I knew that already. Nothing this imgur guy put online is really anything new.

Also, not only is the music procedural generated, it's made from stuff from one of my favourite post-rock bands, 65daysofstatic. That's going to help to get my mood for it in order.

It's odd though, are people in this thread thinking this is actual Hello Games promotional material? Because this is just some guy on imgur, not Hello Games. Not sure why this is even an article, to be honest. It's old stuff we've known for a while now.
Pyrian said:
Or, say, 16 things each on a scale of 1-16. If the latter (and it's just an example but it's probably not far from the truth) then you could see everything the game has to offer in as little as 16 planets; the rest of the variation is just combinations.

Oooo, 16. ;) Doesn't sound so huge now, does it?
That's not really representing it well. I mean sure you'll have a ton of rocky planets, a ton of planets with tree-analogues, or whathaveyou. But it's the myriad of combinations that give us that variation. So saying 16 isn't exactly fair. It's not exactly 'just' variations. I mean just look at how logic itself works. A small number of schematic letters and connectors produce infinite combinations. That shit's pretty bitchin'.

It's mostly creature variation I'm curious about at this point.
omega 616 said:
What I want to know is, what do I do!?
For some people, like me, it's about the exploration itself. It's why I play stuff like Fallout or WoW for instance. Most of my time in those games I spent roaming around. This basically, hopefully, is going to fill that niche and then some.
Blitsie said:
[Them being very tight lipped about anything other than "kajillions of planets guys!1!!1!" doesn't help.
That's not really the case. There's been multiple of alpha play sessions on various outlets by now. The lots-a-planets shtick is getting a little old though.

Laughing Man

Oct 10, 2008
Stunning the sheer numbers of what's going on in this game is truly stunning but what's also truly stunning is what the hell the game is about, what is it exactly that you do? I mean if this is some EVE style game where we could end up with vast groups of people teaming up to building, ship, fight and generally seeing how many, worlds, plants and creatures they can name after phallic referencing words then fine but so far the game seems to just show people mooching around, I mean yes you can go to a place and discover it and name it and then what? If their is a limit to the amount of stuff and things you can name then their is a point since being the first to find the world makes it an exclusives thing, others that follow will know that you really like blue badger balls but when you have potentially 18 billion billion worlds then the wonder of finding somewhere and naming it South Facing Gangplank Cock looses some of it's luster and awe when it means that not only is their more than enough worlds for others to find and name after funny everyday objects with willy names after them but the chances that any one else will actually see your world and it's oh so comical name are slim.

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
Cowabungaa said:
Except fallout and WOW have quests and things to do, it's great you get your kicks by walking but I would say the majority of people need more to latch on to.

irish286

Mar 17, 2012
I need to know what the game play is going to be like. Exploring is fun and all but it needs a point or this will fade away into the bargain bin within a month.