Extra Credits Needs Your Help (+$60,000 Reached!)

Yassen

Apr 5, 2008
On the last episode of Extra Credits you may have noticed Allison was wearing a caste, well it's worse than we thought.

Over the last year we've built up a web series talking about game design and the positive impact that games can have on humanity. We've used it to get people looking more deeply at videogames and thinking about what they can take away from their games and add to their lives.

Yesterday Allison, our artist, found out she needed major shoulder surgery if she's going to be able to continue to do art. Each show costs us far more than we make off of it; we've spent most of our reserves building Extra Credits and are now trying to give what we can to help Allison cover the cost of her surgery. We need to raise somewhere between $15,000-$20,000 to help her get surgery and hire guest artists for the next few months, otherwise we can't keep doing the show.

Help us fix the tiny pink bean so she can keep chasing us with a pencil...and please, please help us save Extra Credits.

(If you donate, you will recieve all the rewards up through the level you donated at, so don't worry, if you donate $100 you'll recieve access to the episode, a tee-shirt, a publisher's club membership and other cool stuff.)
So please, if you have the money please donate and help save Extra Credits.

Link: http://www.rockethub.com/projects/2165-extra-credits

Edit: It's with great pride that I say James has reached his goal of $15,000 and only in a matter of hours. However, Allison's insurance is playing the "pre-existing condition" card so it might cost more than he intended. If you have the money to spare the crew can still put it to good use.

But I would like to say that I'm extremely proud of our community where even though we have our problems we help each other during times of need. Thankyou to all who donated and may still donate.

Edit 2: At time of writing we've raised $29,011 and the money just continues to roll in (Can we reach 30,000 before the hour is up? The race is on!). I know Allison will appreciate everything we've done but I speak for myself when I say thankyou to everyone who donated money to keep this amazing show on the web. YOU GUYS ROCK!

And of course a big thankyou to the person who donated a full $5000, have fun hanging out with James.

Final Edit: Well my friends, in less than a day we've managed to not only accumulate the amount needed to fix Allison's shoulder, but actually double it. There's really nothing else for me to say, so I'll just quote James instead.

Wow. I came back and we've got over twenty thousand dollars donated. I don't even know what to say. I don't think I've ever been more inspired by humanity.
Allison, James, Daniel, our hearts go out to you. You've done a great thing for gaming and this was our time to show our appreciation. I'm sure I speak for all of us when I say we hope the surgery goes smoothly and we look forward to more episodes in the future. On behalf of the Escapist community, thankyou.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Damn, as much as I hate Extra Credits, and I hate it a lot, even I want to help.

:(

I can't donate now, sadly.

Flutterguy

Jun 26, 2011
Well this sucks, I am sure you will get alot of people willing tom work on the art for you though. I suppose I gottas buy another pre-paid le sigh.

HydraZulu

Oct 6, 2008
Best of luck! I like Extra Credits, and would donate to help if I could, but right now I don't even really have enough money to support myself. I really hope you are able to get what you need.

scienceguy8

Sep 1, 2008
Just sent in what I could, despite my joblessness. If you guys are reading this, Alison, get well soon, and soldier on Daniel and James.

Zombie_Fish

Opiner of Mottos
Mar 20, 2009
I'll look into it tomorrow.

I would love to help out and donate to them, but it's quarter past two in the morning here and I don't want to go through the hassel of creating and confirming a new account for some site right now. But I do want to donate to this thing.

Until then, I do wish the Extra Credits team the best of luck for now. With the rate at which they're receiving donations, I'm sure they'll raise the money easily.

Also, I'm kind of curious as to what topic the guy who donated $1000 is going to choose. And if I had the money spare, I would love to have James Portnow come to England to do a talk at my college.

EDIT: Scratch that, I'm staying up late anyway. I don't even care if I don't get a T-shirt, I'm just glad that I'm donating to this cause.

supermariner

Aug 27, 2010
i'm slightly suspicious of this whole thing
seems just a bit ... off
but i'll just trust that it's all genuine and in order and in no way a fakey fakery
after all i'm sure you all did more research than me (which wouldn't have to be much)
either way i can't help out financially in any way, but i do hope everything goes well for them and they get whatever it is they need to keep the show going

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Onyx Oblivion said:
Damn, as much as I hate Extra Credits, and I hate it a lot, even I want to help.

:(

I can't donate now, sadly.
Don't want to be starting something here, but, weeeeeellllll....why?

OT: That really sucks, and I mean really sucks. I don't have much money to donate, but if I could I definitely would. I don't want the show to die off, it's one of the best parts of Thursdays!

Zechnophobe

Feb 4, 2010
The Bad news: They have only funded 4000 dollars.
The Good News: That means I would be the first to get the 5k Portnow for a weekend award...

Now... how could I live for the next month on rice and beans...

The Epicosity

Mar 19, 2011
Damn, I really want to help, but am really too young to convince my parents to or try and give you guys money myself. :/

I hope you get better, Allison!

C95J

I plan to live forever.
Apr 10, 2010
Already donated, I really like this show, and would hate to see it discontinue. Good luck to Allison. Things are looking good so far, almost 30% of the money has been raised already.

Yassen

Apr 5, 2008
supermariner said:
seems just a bit ... off
but i'll just trust that it's all genuine and in order and in no way a fakey fakery
after all i'm sure you all did more research than me (which wouldn't have to be much)
either way i can't help out financially in any way, but i do hope everything goes well for them and they get whatever it is they need to keep the show going
Don't worry, it's legit. He posted the link on his Facebook page but I decided to share this on the Escapist for obvious reasons. But sadly it's just getting worse, he updated his Facebok with this little number.

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF. Allison was told it's a "pre-existing condition" due to some shoulder issues she had while swimming in college.
Just goes from bad to worse, never mind drawing is her source of income. I hope she gets the money she needs.

Zombie_Fish

Opiner of Mottos
Mar 20, 2009
supermariner said:
seems just a bit ... off
It's not a fake. Extra Credits announced it tonight on their official Facebook [https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/pages/Extra-Credits/127295683982334] and Twitter [https://twitter.com/#!/ExtraCreditz] pages.

EDIT: Ninjas. Damn. [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRduXj7-A7E]

TheAmazingTGIF

Friday Only Superhero
Aug 5, 2009
supermariner said:
seems just a bit ... off
This is all coming directly from the ExtraCredit team themselves, via facebook & twitter. It came from James himself.
Edit: Ninja'd again. Damnit.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Just donated $5. Wish I could give more but I just bought a new laptop yesterday which used up most of my disposable income for a while.

DJ_Bunce

Jan 20, 2010
I can't donate here at work, since my web filter blocks it (but not this somehow) - will donate when I get home. Feel better soon Allison x

Edit: I'm already a member of the Publisher's Club - any chance The Escapist can give the money they would spend/lose on giving away free memberships to people already in the club to Allison's fundraiser instead?

Noremac60

Jun 24, 2011
C95J said:
Already donated, I really like this show, and would hate to see it discontinue. Good luck to Allison. Things are looking good so far, almost 30% of the money has been raised already.
Took the words right out of my mouth.