Extra Credits v Harrasment On Xbox Live

chimeracreator

Jun 15, 2009
Das Boot said:
BreakfastMan said:
TizzytheTormentor said:
Well then, how would you deal with the problem? If people start acting immature online, I just block em and not all matches have total twats on them.
I would start handing out bans for offenders, using a "3-strikes" system. People need to get the message that this stuff is just not okay, and will not be tolerated. Those who act like a douche online will receive a strike. They continue their actions, another. When they get to 3, they are banned from X-Box live Gold forever, unable to send messages to anyone but the people on their friends list, and their account will be marked with a "Banned for misappropriate behavior" message. Might be a bit... harsh, but that is my idea.
That seems like it would be far to easy to abuse and far to hard to moderate. How do you decide what is being a douche? Do you decide that he was a douche because the guy was really good and a ton of people reported him for being better then them? How do you moderate it and prevent all of the false accusations?

Vrex360 said:
Well, good for them I guess. I have to be honest I really think their solutions for cleaning the Xbox Live gutter was actually pretty good. Auto mute players who get muted too many times, don't allow them the right to speak with strangers until they reach a certain level, make it so you can only communicate with people on your friend's list etc.

It's admittedly very heavily dealt but if the games industry is truly committed to getting rid of the angry embittered misogynists of the online world then they might as well come down hard on them.
Wow those actually sound like really really bad ideas. It pretty much all goes against the very reason we have voice chat in the first place.
Your knee jerk reaction fails to take into account the fact that too many in the case of their example is based on a constantly recalculated scoring percentage. So lets think about the math here:

Let the scoring system use two measures:
1. A floor value of N mutes per Y time, under this no one can be auto-muted.
2. The percentile the player is in regards to the community as a whole when it comes to being muted.

Let us also assume that players fall into three groups where B is a baseline percentage of muting:
1. Extremely bad actors that are muted by 90% + B of the people they play with
2. Somewhat bad actors that are muted by 30% + B of the people they play with
3. Normal players who are muted by B% of the people they play with

Assuming a roughly random distribution of games everyone should encounter the mute everyone or mute because I died people on a roughly equal basis. The percentile system auto-factors this is because this is part of the established 50th percentile baseline (ie B). The floor would need to be manually assigned however, but because both triggers are required this doesn't provide an issue.

Now if we draw up the community and say that there are 10% extremely bad actors, 30% somewhat bad actors and 60% everyone else and assign B a value of say 5% meaning that 5% mute no matter what. Then the 50th percentile (taken from the mean) is a 23% mute rate or 5% taken from the median. The 80th percentile would be around 35% or so depending on the exact deviation. So if we drew the line at the 80th percentile that would catch all of the extremely bad actors and some of the somewhat bad actors.

In terms of the system being used to grief mute players this would require a number of players to coordinate their efforts equal to at least the 80th percentile of mutes (relative to the number of games the person plays in) making it harder to auto-mute them if they play more. Likewise if they don't play enough you will be unable to hit the floor value of N mutes thus providing the system a measure of protection.

rapidoud

Feb 1, 2008
Get people to rate other people in game before they can play another, review their peers for how much crap they talked etc.

If they were suspended in anyway then they could appeal it and cite reasons why 'I was only arguing against him but they were all letting him make racist remarks and didn't like me talking back' etc.

Dryk

Dec 4, 2011
SirBryghtside said:
]
Legal wrangling everywhere, until EC finally wrestle their IP from The Escapist and leave permanently, all their backlog wiped (as neither party fully owns the rights to it any more), and the spare RocketHub donations going to setting up an organisation to help indie developers, which I... haven't heard from since. Huh.
Actually their backlog is fine, it's on PATV and their YouTube channel

As for the publishing company, last week's episode was an update on that... but your post was from before that release so you might know that by now

Dryk

Dec 4, 2011
SirBryghtside said:
Huh, thanks for clarifying that. As I said, I was away when it all went up, but I thought I at least had the gist of the whole ordeal.
Yeah it other than that that's the impression I got when I noticed what was happening :)

rapidoud

Feb 1, 2008
tippy2k2 said:
funcooker11811 said:
tippy2k2 said:
See, I have to disagree about the report system being more effective, because it would turn the mute button into a report button . Rather than having to go to the person's profile and a few menus to report them, which is both a hassle, and a waste on the resources needed to sort through the real reports from the fake ones, it would implement a system that wouldn't need anything other than someone clicking the mute button. It's something people do anyway, and since its based on averages, it would get rid of the need for people to go through them. Plus, it prevents bannings based on trash-talking, which I've always felt was a little too harsh, what with it preventing people from playing games online. Just taking away the thing they abused seems to make more sense to me.

Again, they painted the earned communications as a red button, only to be used if all other options have been exhausted, and it does pretty much what you described. If you lose an account to verbal harassment, you have to start over from scratch. I'm not really seeing a difference between that and what you just described.

EDIT: Also, I'm guessing that the lack of party chat on those few games are a design choice, like how dark souls prevents you from chatting while playing online.
If the person harassing isn't worth clicking on a menu to push Report, they probably are not doing something wrong enough to be worth reporting. By making the Mute button the report button, you're going to get much more collateral damage to people who have done nothing wrong (maybe it would balance itself out as has been suggested by others but I disagree). While any system with player interaction is exploitable, making it a Report button takes away the random chance of someone getting punished who shouldn't be.

As for the "earn communication" thing, I don't see any acceptable way to do it. Treating your customers like scum and forcing them to prove otherwise is just not acceptable to me. If you implement it on players who are being shit-heads THAT badly that you have to remove their communication, they shouldn't be on the service at all.
Even reporting is a joke through the amount of crap that has to be filtered.

I've been reported in over 30 different games on SC2 for being on wireless for those games and lagging a bit. Seriously? They considered it harassment.

Then you get the numpties that just want to speak with a GM on WoW or report the most contrived things.

When I report I fully expect my desired outcome to come true, e.g. someone has a name that got past the censors on a game kids are likely playing, or they're abusing the everloving crap out of someone (if it was my first time in online gaming, which was only 10 years ago now, I know I'd be turned off if some idiot felt it upon themselves to treat me as if I just murdered babies like the man who repeatedly told me to go kill myself during my first CS game in CSGO. You wonder why gamers have such a reputation because book-readers don't tell you to go kill yourself for reading The Sookie Stackhouse Mysteries).