Extra Punctuation: A Hard Weapon Is Good to Find

beleester

Feb 22, 2011
I'm going to nominate Fallout 3. Projectile weapons all have a satisfying "DAKKA!", which turns into a rumble of thunder when you use VATS and it goes into slo-mo. And the enemies react nicely, with blood spatters and the occasional head blown off by a well-aimed rifle shot. The one exception is the Minigun, which is rather lacking in gravitas for such a big gun and takes a while to bring down an enemy.

The energy weapons are also quite nice. They aren't quite as exciting, but they deliver a satisfying "SPLORT" when you hit, and they have a nice-looking big red beam and reduce enemies to ash on a critical. Definitely makes combat fun.

Raideur

Jun 12, 2011
Soldat. Tight controls, simple purpose. Intensely satisfying 2D gore and explosion/torso toss.

Farther than stars

Jun 19, 2011
lowkey_jotunn said:
Fallout 3: Railway Rifle.

Loved that thing. It shoots big metal spikes, with appropriate boom and recoil (not overpower, but enough to let you know it fired). If you hit an enemy square in the head,you can decapitate them and pin their head to whatever solid surface is in the line of fire, while the body slumps lifeless to the ground.

Plus, they put a little choo-choo sounds effect after the shot, for giggles.

Pay special attention at the end, when he shoots the dead body, just for kicks.

A few other weapons in that game, particular the Tesla Cannon, had a VEEERY satisfying blast, recoil and effect. Especially when you were dropping helicopters outta the sky. *BOOM*

Other guns I can think of offhand with suitably awesome effects: The hand cannon and upgraded SMG from Mass Effect 2. Completely different ends of the spectrum, but awesome at both ends. The upgraded "Krogan Only" shotgun was less awesome, imo. At least from the perspective covered here. The chainsaw and rocket launcher from Doom 2 where winners. (you already mentioned the Shotgun) And who can pass up the Original Shotgun from Halo 1. Or a fully realized needler blast.
You son of a... I'm on my first playthrough of Fallout 3 right now and I just spent all the time I was playing today trying to find a clutch to make that damn thing. I've exhausted all the vehicle places I can find and the junk vendors don't seem to stock them. I also stumbled on serveral new locations and completed several side quests all in persuit of one item. Don't tell me though, I still want to find it for myself, but at least now I know that the reward will be all the better for it when I do finally get it.
The Tesla Cannon sounds cool as well. I guess that'll use the Electronic Chargepacks I've been saving up all this time. And I've been sinking plenty of points into E-weapons, so that's great! ;)
Also, if you want cool sound effects, you should listen to the TF2 weapons, because they are amazing. Personally I like the sounds of the Sniper's rifles, because you really notice how they incorporated the different uses of the weapons into the asthetics.
There's the regular, which sounds like a normal sniper rifle. Then there's the Sydney Sleeper, which fires its darts with a sounds like a tribal man shooting a dart through a piece of hollowed-out bamboo. There's the Huntsman bow, which Yahtzee pretty accurately described the sound of in this column. The Bazaar Bargain, which sounds like a powerful blast of thunder. And finally the latest Machina has a forceful metallic clank coming from its muzzle flash supressor. And they all make fantastic sounds in their own right.

eddyshore6528

Dec 29, 2011
This article made me think about a game i played a while back. Clive Barker's Undying. I found i always came back to the revolver whenever i could because the firing sound and the reloading mechanics just felt so right for the weapon. The shotgun in the game wasnt as satisfying , even though it had a both-barrel secondary firing mode.