Extra Punctuation: Battlefield 3 Is Scary

SnakeoilSage

Sep 20, 2011
If Yahtzee did start reviewing indie games full-time, they would love him even as he hated their games. And it would convince more people to shrug off big productions in favor of creative ones.

SnowShovel

Nov 22, 2011
I hadn't heard of The Binding of Isaac, so I naturally looked it up, and all I could think of was "Oh my, someone remade Space Dungeon from 1981!"

Warforger

Apr 24, 2010
mfeff said:
Now if I were to take the M rating of BF3 at face value, and say that 18 year old's were purchasing it, they were "8" when these wars started. What I want to really hit home here, is that the middle east conflicts are becoming a "right of passage" for American youth. Another thing to consider is that America is a rather ultra violent culture within the youth set.
What? It's not any worse than any country in Europe or the like (Hell in Bosnia murdering a Muslim could be a rite of passage), now going to war is not a rite of passage necessarily, it could be for the more Conservative groups but not on a whole.

mfeff said:
As far as "what it is" to be "American" or how "Americans" see things? I would simply point to Dennis Prager on the topic. Most American's couldn't tell you much of anything about America, not with any consistency. What this game does, is speak to a lower middle class/ upper poverty class perception of the middle eastern conflicts and sells it hard through the EA fist pump and dump.
Well no shit, America is a huge country which has very diverse people's cultures etc. there is no encompassing mono-culture that there is in smaller countries, sort of compare it to Latin America, while at first glance a Mexican and say a Chilean may seem to be the same people, but focusing on culture and upbringing they're completely different. This is partly because America has a shitton of Ethnic groups whose accents reflect European ones, like in the Mid-West there is a heavy Scandinavian influence so the dialect from South Dakota sounds closest to a Swede's, whereas the South has a huge British influence on its accent (and yes it's the region with the most racism and obesity) for one American to tell you anything it would vary from region to region because not many people in America view things the same.

The real question will be what will be the retention of DICE player base after BF3, considering the dramatic departure of what the series has done in the past.[/quote]

Lupvirga

Oct 21, 2008
watch Soulless (hear http://youtu.be/ViygB_FzeF0 )and you see that it more SAD then scary. funny thing is, it's multiplayer.

obiwanchernobi

Jun 18, 2012
I completely agree with the assessment of the single player mode in battlefield. I don't think I've ever been more let down by lameness in my life. Especially the whole thing about dropping you into the physics engine because Battlefield has one of my favorite physics engines since i originally played on the Source engine, and more recently the SKATE series. They could have done so much more with the potential of that game and they fucked us over by racing us around to all the set pieces and trying to make it a movie. Where did we ever get to just sit and enjoy playing the fucking game?