Extra Punctuation: Getting Innovation Wrong

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Getting Innovation Wrong

Yahtzee thinks that Nintendo may have taken a wrong turn with its hardware.

Read Full Article

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
And you know what? Blue Ray and HD-DVD were exactly the same thing- a technological gimmick that nobody even needed.

Sgt. Dante

Jul 30, 2008
Have been wondering how Nintendo will make the best use of a touch screen in the controller, Seems similar to the old GameCube Crystal Chronicles that you played with your GBA, but that wasn't very good either.

Samus Aaron

Apr 3, 2010
I really hope they don't go with that touch screen on the controller gimmick. As long as it has 360-level graphics and processor, I'll be happy.

Oroboros

Feb 21, 2011
I agree that the Wii and 3DS are just gimmicks that don't really advance the industry. I still have my old fat DS and I have seen no need to upgrade. I don't see why I should upgrade to this ridiculously expensive piece of hardware when I can't conceivably gain anything by switching over, except possibly eye strain.

Srdjan Tanaskovic

Oct 20, 2010
Yahtzee I know you probably aren't doing it intentionally but I can't help but feel that no mater what Nintendo does these days you complain

Motion Control: Bad
3DS: Bad
New Games in there franchises: Bad
Upcoming Console: Bad

I mean really?

Squilookle said:
And you know what? Blue Ray and HD-DVD were exactly the same thing- a technological gimmick that nobody even needed.
there is a reason HD-DVD died and not Blu-Ray

Oroboros said:
I agree that the Wii and 3DS are just gimmicks that don't really advance the industry. I still have my old fat DS and I have seen no need to upgrade. I don't see why I should upgrade to this ridiculously expensive piece of hardware when I can't conceivably gain anything by switching over, except possibly eye strain.
A. new Machine
B. New and better games
C. Improvement functionality
D. Virtual Console with more games
E. There is no eye strain

Hell using your logic one could ask why buy a new gaming machine next generation

TilMorrow

Diabolical Party Member
Jul 7, 2010
"Like a "suggestive and vaguely insulting gesture" button."

This was funny but everyone knows that your pinkie is for poking the guy next to you in an attempt to make them lose concentration.

I agree with the comment about the touchpad controller, it makes it seem pointless unless you have to angle it in a way that lets you see the TV and the controller's screen at the same time which sounds like a pretty crap version of the DS. I hope its cordless though, no need to go so far back to the gamecube controller.

zehydra

Oct 25, 2009
I disagree. I love 3D, and I love it mainly because of the level of depth it adds to the picture. It makes whatever you're viewing much more like you're experiencing it.

I realize that a ton of people do not share this view, and do not appreciate 3d. Good for them. But at least let me enjoy my 3d, okay?

pezmanon

Feb 6, 2011
His funniest extra punctuation in a while. Makes some good points about gimmicks as well.

chromewarriorXIII

The One with the Cake
Oct 17, 2008
I think the best way to use the touch screen on a controller would be for vague movements, like swiping your finger across it. It wouldn't have to be specific, just general stuff like that.

That then begs the question of why you need the touch screen in the first place though, as I can't think of any situation where being able to make those genstures would improve gameplay.

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
I'm glad someone else feels this way. I was starting to feel like the paranoid old man shaking his cane at this new direction.

Srdjan Tanaskovic

Oct 20, 2010
zehydra said:
I disagree. I love 3D, and I love it mainly because of the level of depth it adds to the picture. It makes whatever you're viewing much more like you're experiencing it.

I realize that a ton of people do not share this view, and do not appreciate 3d. Good for them. But at least let me enjoy my 3d, okay?
I agree with you

But it's a shame it doesn't always work the way it should

for example saw Thor last Friday in 3D (only had that in my town) and it worked really well. It felt natural and not tacked on in the last minute like say ......ehm *name of movie with bad 3D here*

Juan Regular

Jun 3, 2008
Srdjan Tanaskovic said:

I mean really?
And he backs all of it up with valid points, doesn´t he? But to me The franchise thing has always been the biggest stone in my shoe. I used to love Mario, Zelda, Metroid and so forth when I was a kid but now after seeing them for years on end, I´ve gotten so sick of all of them. At some point you have to leave the old heroes be and create some new ones.

Sockerbit

Jun 17, 2008
>And you know what? Blue Ray and HD-DVD were exactly the same thing- a technological gimmick that nobody even needed.

Yes they did, as people got bigger and bigger TVs, the picture quality became a bigger of an issue. DVD is fine for a 15-30 inch TV, but as soon as you get into the 40-60 inch range, the quality difference becomes much greater. Not to mention the difference it has when shown on computer displays where the viewer is rarely further away than 4 feet away. So the switch was needed and desired as video quality became more of an issue, meaning it was not a matter of whether people wanted to get a higher quality video format, they sort of just needed to get it in order to watch TV without cringing as various video compression artifact stuck out as open wounds when you've effectively quadrupled their size as you went from a 20 inch to a 42 inch TV.

3D however, very few people even enjoy watching it, many get headaches. It usually doesn't make that big of a difference and because you need to wear what are effectively shades glasses, the quality of the picture of often lowered as it loses it's bright colors and contrasts.

Lukeje

Feb 6, 2008
Yahtzee Croshaw said:
And if you used the touch screen for extra contextual buttons then you'll run into the iPhone game problem that there'll be no physical feedback.
Isn't the screen supposed to have at least some sort of physical feedback?

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/109722-Rumor-Nintendos-New-Console-Will-Make-You-Feel

Tulks

Dec 30, 2010
Srdjan Tanaskovic said:
Yahtzee I know you probably aren't doing it intentionally but I can't help but feel that no mater what Nintendo does these days you complain

I mean really?
When they stop doing things he doesn't like, he'll stop complaining. Just like everyone else.

Unfortunately, producing something that no-one dislikes is 1) impossible (and I don't use the word lightly), and 2) what leads us to the steady stream of homogenised crap that almost every form of media seems to be aspiring to these days.

Squilookle said:
there is a reason HD-DVD died and not Blu-Ray
Yes. Marketing. And having it crammed down our throats by the film industry. So two reasons.

Oroboros said:
A. new Machine
B. New and better games
C. Improvement functionality
D. Virtual Console with more games
E. There is no eye strain

Hell using your logic one could ask why buy a new gaming machine next generation
E and C are probably subjective, B is definitely subjective, and I don't see how A is a reason to upgrade.

I need not your fancy logic, for I wield the unbridled bile and limitless cynicism of the internet.

Raeil

Nov 18, 2009
I think this is the first time I haven't enjoyed reading an Extra Punctuation, mostly because the details are incorrect. (Long Post Alert - skip to the bottom for the tl;dr)

That whole tactile feedback thing? Yeah, the latest detail is that it will have that.

3D not being immersive? This would have been true a few years ago, when every movie company was still trying to do that whole pop-out-of-the-screen deal, but not anymore. At this point, most companies have gotten smarter and are using it as it should be, to enhance the details behind the screen. By the way, this is also the technique used with the 3DS which I've been using extensively, and has worked wonderfully. Is it annoying to wear the glasses/keep your head still? It can be, but in both cases the 3D is not necessary to your enjoyment, much like HD quality graphics.

Back to Project Cafe - "So far it can be pretty safely assumed it's got HD graphics that can compete with the PS3 and 360, which means hurray, another platform that will be out of the reach of decent third party support." I fail to see how this sentence makes any sense. If anything, the Wii has been shut out of third-party crossplatform titles due to the lack of HD. In other words, this sentence is the opposite of what is true. (I admit, this could be sarcasm, but this is the internet and that makes it difficult to tell)

"But with the Wii and 3DS innovation one-two punch that dismally failed to connect, what kind of hardware will Nintendo lead their next blow with?" - Another factually false statement for at least the first half. The Wii is still the highest sold console, meaning it definitely connected with a large group of people. The 3DS has been out for a little more than a single month and the numbers are lower than expected, so I'll not argue this point, even though I personally disagree.

[Edit: This point is incorrect due to me not reading every word of the article. Thanks to mjc and rje for point out that Yahtzee addresses this.] Finally, this: "I'm trying to think of ways to employ a touch screen and a TV, and the problem I keep bumping against is that the player can only look at one screen at a time." You're right, they can only look at one screen at a time, that explains why the Nintendo DS has flopped completely... oh wait, it's the highest selling handheld of all time (if you use the numbers for all its iterations).

tl;dr - Maybe I've missed the entire point of this particular article, but the fact stands that most of the statements and projections from Yahtzee (the serious ones anyway, not the "kill us and take our money" ones) are not based in reality. [Edit - Fixed a few blanket statements.]

dunnace

Oct 10, 2008
The major flaw I see in modern FPS these days is peripheral vision, but unless you are willing to put a head band type device on and make a single circular screen that ain't gonna happen.

Also, Portal 2 really made me want 3d at times.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
3D is not the future. It's not "immersive." At best it makes everything look like a six-inch paper cut-out, and in order to create that effect it has to reduce the quality of the image. After years and years of the entertainment industry working towards making bigger and crisper images, suddenly they're trying to make us forget about all that because, holy shit, a thing looks like it's in front of another thing because of an exploitable quirk in binocular vision.
I cannot possibly agree more.

Now, tell me this whole image doesn't smack a little of "kitchen sink" design, of throwing everything together into one package to see what happens.
Okay, it doesn't. It smacks a lot of kitchen sink design. It also smacks a bit of "get ready to pay $100 for an extra controller". I'm just hoping a lot of the rumors turn out to be false and we get a normal controller.

zehydra said:
It makes whatever you're viewing much more like you're experiencing it.
It makes whatever I'm viewing much more like some cheap little elementary school "paper cut-outs on popsicle sticks" play and makes me wonder what the hell I paid extra to see this in 3D for when it looks so much worse. And I find this to be true for "good" 3D and "bad" 3D. It all looks like the same pointless mess to me. I'm going to stick to 2D, which is cheaper, looks nicer, and doesn't induce headaches and eye strain.