Extra Punctuation: Golden Era of PC Gaming

Poisoned Al

Feb 16, 2008
Mine isn't nearly as good as some of these but yes, I got the point straight away. It's fun to act like an arsehole and watch the game ether ignore you (the hobo never flinches no matter how close the fridge lands) or make everyone try to kill you for throwing an empty takeout box at one of their heads.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
I really do feel that Deus Ex: Human Resources is a worthy Deus Ex game, it has its flaws, as did the original and while it doesn't quite realise the freedom of the original it is the closest games have come in a very long while.

I am actually hoping for another one, with no cutscenes (do they look any good on consoles they look like mud on a PC?), avoidable boss fights (or at least boss fights with characters that have some emotional weight), and more vertical alternate routes (this is the only thing that felt overtly consoley to me surely after Assassins Creed console gamers now look up?).

I don't think the game quite works as a prequel because every augmented individual seems more advanced than Gunther and Anna but I can happily think of it as a re-boot with references to the original.

OT: I really do prefer the Half Life style exposition because I become an actor in the scene not just a viewer.

Jun 11, 2008
I have to be honest I really do hate the Half Life style cut scenes that so many people praise the game about. Sometimes I just want to do a speed run or just play the game and it might be my 3rd or 4th or more time through the game and I get bored watching the same thing again. Why can't they just add a skip button.

Android2137

Feb 2, 2010
I can't stop laughing at that last line! Maybe I should give Deus Ex another go. And maybe this time, I'll actually finish training without dying! (I'm sorry to admit that I'm just that freaking bad at this game...)

TheMadDoctorsCat

Apr 2, 2008
Doom972 said:
his1nightmare said:
1998-2002
RIP, gaming.
I think it should start in 1993, when Doom came out, and end in 2004, when games using the Unreal 2 engine started coming out.
I would say that it peaked at games like Deus Ex, System Shock, and Half Life. Let's call it the golden-age of 3D gaming.

Although now very well might be the golden-age of INDIE gaming. There are some incredible gems out there made by kids in their bedrooms.

LookingGlass

Jul 6, 2011
teh_gunslinger said:
I spill my drink!

To add an example of the game reacting to you being a jerk I submit this:

That's hilarious. I've never actually done that before. I think my next playthrough is going to have to be full of random screwing around like that.

Neo Kojiro

Mar 19, 2008
Interconnectedness of all things? But what does Deus Ex have to do with you looking for my dead cat?

The Youth Counselor

Sep 20, 2008
Yes, although I enjoyed the Human Revolution immensely and felt it captured the spirit of Deus Ex it was lacking a few elements that made Deus Ex, well...Deus Ex.

But the sad fact is that a game like Deus Ex just wouldn't be made today. I present Exhibit A: If Deus Ex 1 was made today.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Zhukov said:
Call me unadventurous, but I've always tried to avoid breaking games, even when I inadvertently stumble across the means to do so.

If nothing else, it breaks the good ol' immersion.
yah i try to avoid that too. i mean freedom like in deus ex is all good, but i wont be stacking objects to abuse a bug to get to the next place sort of thing. i just dont like going around it like that.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Ok that was hilarious!
At any rate, I've often stated that the last console generation was one of the best there ever was, and that includes PC Games. It makes me often wonder why we didn't stop there as far a graphics tech goes and stay there for a while. I'd say this generation is crippled by it's graphics tech, but then again the half-wit, brain-dead shooter enthusiasts seem to enjoy it. ¬_¬

Johnnydillinger

Aug 16, 2011
TheMadDoctorsCat said:
Doom972 said:
his1nightmare said:
1998-2002
RIP, gaming.
I think it should start in 1993, when Doom came out, and end in 2004, when games using the Unreal 2 engine started coming out.
I would say that it peaked at games like Deus Ex, System Shock, and Half Life. Let's call it the golden-age of 3D gaming.

Although now very well might be the golden-age of INDIE gaming. There are some incredible gems out there made by kids in their bedrooms.
I second this. Indie games were rather dense these last few years and they are mostly creative and fun.

Chezza

Feb 17, 2010
I am glad Yahtzee mentioned modding communities. In fact I wish for more focus on them as I do believe they will grow to become a even bigger part of PC gaming.

Anyway that is a very interesting article indeed. Not until now I have realized one of my most common and favorite actions within games involve pushing the boundaries of freedom to see the result. Sadly majority of the time it will hit a limitation rather quickly and the harsh truth of the game restrictions reveal its face. I desire freedom in my games but it doesn't work on its own merits. Freedom needs to offer a polished and well designed experience with almost every decision I make, no matter how strange I behave or decision I pursue.

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
Iron Lightning said:
I remember the chief in Deus Ex: Human Revolution also scolded you for wondering in to the ladies' lavatory.

I was afraid that resurrection of a long-dead franchise would completely miss the point of the original (see: the new XCOM.) It's gratifying to see that they got some things right.
One of my favorite parts so far in the game is when I was going through people's offices and rifling through their stuff, stealing anything not nailed to the floor that the game would let me and reading all their personal emails. You know, usual video game fodder.

Then after a bit I got on Jensen's PC and had an email from an employee of Serif saying someone had broken into their office and taken some things and as the chief of security, they wanted me to look into it.

That made the game for me.

Anthan

Apr 3, 2010
I get the feeling this follows on from last week's ExP (was that abbreviation planned? o_o ) about physics engines in games. None of the fun throwing things around could be done without well... the throwing things around.

Undeadpool

Aug 17, 2009
Tiamat666 said:
One of the things I hate most about modern games are those artifical, sometimes invisible walls and boundaries that prevent you from going places. So there is this teenie, weenie little step that a 3-year old could climb, but no, I'm unable to jump there because the developers decided it's OFF-LIMITS!!!

If I'm not supposed to go there then place a big rock or tree or actual wall there. Just don't put me in an invisible cage.
Crap like this didn't exist in the golden age of PC gaming.

Yes, I'm looking at you, BioWare! And Call of Duty!
Have you gone MAD?? It SO absolutely DID exist! How about in Doom where you couldn't climb up any step higher than your shin? How about Medal of Honor where they'd randomly explode you for wandering off the path? Invisible walls were practically invented in the Golden Age, the problem with nostalgia is that we tend to forget the bad and only remember the good. A perfect example of this would be the people who complained Fallout 3 was too glitchy compared to its predecessors. And those examples are just off the top of my head.

Tiamat666

Level 80 Legendary Postlord
Dec 4, 2007
Undeadpool said:
Have you gone MAD??
YES! Because of these stupid invisible-wall games!

Undeadpool said:
It SO absolutely DID exist! How about in Doom where you couldn't climb up any step higher than your shin? How about Medal of Honor where they'd randomly explode you for wandering off the path? Invisible walls were practically invented in the Golden Age, the problem with nostalgia is that we tend to forget the bad and only remember the good. A perfect example of this would be the people who complained Fallout 3 was too glitchy compared to its predecessors. And those examples are just off the top of my head.
I never played Medal of Honor, but the Doom example is not true. In Doom you always know if you will be able to walk to or through a place from the look of things. Very unlike "The Witcher", the worst offender on my list, where the game constantly forces you to walk detours because you're not allowed to jump of a tiny ledge or pier. Or the newer Call of Duty games, where you can jump over some things, but not others of equal or lower height.

It probably did exist in some games, but I can't think of any. And newer games are doing a better job at pissing me off about this.