Extra Punctuation: Let's Talk About Let's Play

Falseprophet

Jan 13, 2009
Wow, a rare nuts-and-bolts article from Yahtzee. I always like getting this kind of insight into the creative process, whatever the end result is.

I've only recently come across Let's Play, and I've mostly watched Shamus Young's Spoiler Warning Show, which is more of an MST3K take on the game and wild digressions. Fun to listen to, but not as illuminating about the actual game as other LPs.

ewhac

Digital Spellweaver
Legacy
Escapist +
Sep 2, 2009
San Francisco Peninsula
Country
USA
My first exposure to Let's Play was the Legends of Legaia run-through by Paul and Graham. Google was unclear on what "Let's Play" actually meant, however, so I'd like to thank Yahtzee for clarifying that for me. I'll probably be wasting a lot of time watching LP videos over the next few days.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
Been hooked on Spoiler Warning from Shamus Young, you know the guy behind Experience Points and Stolen Pixel. Currently running an LP on ME2 and frankly it has opened my eyes to one of my favorite RPGs ever. I never even considered how ludicrous the story turned out to be until after i've watched that LP.

Also the Bioshock one was awesome too :D

http://www.youtube.com/user/SpoilerWarningShow

But man now i have another source of LPs Thanks much Yahtzee ^-^

LadyMint

Apr 22, 2010
You know, I may have to go look at some of these so-called "quality" Let's Plays, because I have been pointed in the direction of the LPs on Youtube by friends/random people who must hate me, and found them to be torterous to sit through. So I was very surprised when Yahtzee admitted to being addicted to the concept. Personally, I hate watching other people play games unless I've already beaten them and/or am there to coach them through certain parts. I hate it even more if they're chatting over the going's on in the game, because most of the time it takes me out of the gameplay moment that I'm trying to get lost in.

I remember G4Tech TV used to have this half-hour show that would cycle through gameplay footage. I really enjoyed it for two major reasons: 1) It let me stare at gameplay in certain games I was curious about or missed altogether, and 2) There wasn't a game reviewer giving me their opinion of the game, I was just watching it and digesting it for myself. The LPs I have watched have done very little to make me interested in whatever they're playing, and somewhat hateful of the voiceover accompanying the gameplay because of the disturbance to my viewing experience.

That is an interesting idea, though, to use an LP for some after-the-fact commentary on a game you've already played. I wonder if there are any good ones for Twilight Princess, which I just finished last month.

LAN MAC

Dec 22, 2010
I usually only watch Tobuscus and iJustine, which is actually quite educational.
They give me a chance to see through the eyes of a more casual gamer...and they're fucking funny.

Tharticus

Dec 10, 2008
I was considering writing a Let's Play article.

Let's Play is a really good concept. Probably if it's done well. Not much people outside the SA forums or Archives are not good with Let's Plays at all.

It's a good way to watch if the game is worth buying or an alternative to a text walkthrough.

Unless you prefer bad let's plays, you can always watch Retsuprae in which Mr. Crowshaw follows on his twitter account.

ShenCS

Aug 24, 2010
Pokemon Quartz people, Pokemon Quartz! The single best screenshot Let's Play in the LPArchive.

psivamp

Jan 7, 2010
Bobic said:
Yahtzee was right to recommend the daikatana let's play, it's awesome, I've watched it before.

I'm also surprised he didn't mention his own let's play, perhaps he is embarrassed.
Watching it now. It's like watching an atrocious movie and you just have to step back for a second and ask yourself how the writer looked at their product and decided to keep going each day...

Advancedcaveman

Feb 9, 2011
I don't like watching let's-plays because, like everything else on the internet, I absolutely hate the people recording them. They're usually made by horribly irritating japanophile nerds with high pitched, shrill voices who scream and screech into abysmally low quality desktop microphones.

They talk like idiots, spewing out "DUUUURRRR LOL TEH RANDOMNESS HERE'S SOMETHING THAT SOMEONE SAID ON 4CHAN AND I AM NOW REPEATING IT DUUUUUHHHHH" comments, they emit horrible shrieking noises when the game isn't going their way, and they spend about a 3rd of their time trying to recall information about unrelated media that I don't even remotely give a shit about. That same "let's spend the next 30 minutes trying to remember the origins of some pop culture artefact because we're alcoholics with memory loss" makes a lot of gaming podcasts difficult for me to listen to.

Most of the time when I try to watch an LP I want to murder the person recording it within seconds. Maybe that's just what they're like on youtube, but I'm not going to actively seek out some secret "less retarded" archive of people playing through video games. We waste enough time on the Internet as it is. Watching a first person video of someone playing through a video game while they shout snivelling remarks into a low quality microphone honestly seems like a psychotic activity to me. Its like something out of a William S. Burroughs novel.

The Bandit

Feb 5, 2008
ShenCS said:
Pokemon Quartz people, Pokemon Quartz! The single best screenshot Let's Play in the LPArchive.
Scorchy's KOTOR II and Blade Runner would like a word with you.

The Animal Crossing one was pretty hilarious too.

www.tippingforties.com

They get drunk and play games. What could be better? They have been updating like crazy lately. They've done probably four games since the beginning of the year. Check them out.

Madara XIII

Sep 23, 2010
Togs said:
I love LP's- just as Yahtzee says there a perfect tool for getting to experience a game that you either cant afford, dont have access to or just dont want to play.
But Ive never heard about the SA part of the equation, having to content myself with the highly variable quality of the youtube forms- but Im definately gonna check them out now cheers.

And I agree, it would be nice to see yahtzee's take on LP's.
Indeed. Considering I do "Let's Plays" myself I admit that Yahtzee is right on one thing.

QUALITY CONTROL!

I had to invest up to $300 worth of PROPER recording equipment for my Playstation?

Why? BECAUSE YOU DO IT RIGHT!!!!
Secondly I can understand his frustration about how the LPs should be about the game and not the person.

Oh what the Hell I admit I'm a whore so I'm just going to promote one of my videos because I know I can never get a deal with The Escapist

<Youtube=y5jmQeeBDGA>

FORGIVE MY WHORENESS

frans909

Aug 10, 2008
SA are a bunch of assholes. I registered once, not too long ago, made on thread, and was banned the next day. No warning, nothing. Easy money eh? You can unban yourself of course, by PAYING MORE MONEY. Oh well, SA hasn't been fun since JeffK stopped publishing, anyway.

Casimir_Effect

Aug 26, 2010
So hard to find good Let's Plays. I know it's pretty subjective, but I find it hard to believe anyone enjoys reading the ones written in first person from the point of view of the game character. They always come across as some junior highschool English level piece of crap, with an emphasis either on failing at humour or trying to sound badass.
This problem only plagues the written/screenshot ones, but the videos have their own drawbacks such as increbidly fucking annoying voices.

Still, there are some great one's out there. Such as: Icewind Dale 2, Neverwinter Nights 2 + Mask of the Betrayer, KOTOR 2, Sacrifice, and some of the Resident Evil ones [all on Something Awful Let's Play archive]

andeve3

Jul 14, 2010
Noah Antwilers Let's Play of Phantasmagoria 2: A Puzzle of Flesh is absolutely my favorite.

Linkey :http://spoonyexperiment.com/category/lets-play/phantasmagoria/

obex

Gone Gonzo ..... no ..... wait..
Jun 18, 2009
Yahtzee i think has an Lp in the archives if memory servers, one of the old rotorscop games but i can search by author so i cant look it up.

Flauros

Mar 2, 2010
Big lets play addict, too!

Its like watching a season of a tv show, pretty cool.

One good one im watching is by Helloween5454 or something. He plays horror games and its just great. I was gonna boot up silent hill 3 again, but hes playing that game now so im just gonna watch HIM play it.

But we need to go deeper.

I have been watching a channel....that does a Lets Play...OTHER LETS PLAYS!

Youve just been incepted.

TwistedEllipses

Nov 18, 2008
LAN MAC said:
I usually only watch Tobuscus and iJustine, which is actually quite educational.
They give me a chance to see through the eyes of a more casual gamer...and they're fucking funny.
Those sort of let's plays bug me because they have no idea what they're talking about it, so you end up screaming the answers to their idiotic questions...maybe that's just me, I have issues...

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
I find that far too often the LP of a game is more fun than actually playing it yourself.
But I think that has more to do with the poor quality of most titles rather than any sort of good quality out of LPs.