Extra Punctuation: The Sandbox Killed Batman

Phoenixmgs_v1legacy

Muse of Fate
Sep 1, 2010
nyysjan said:
Phoenixmgs said:
The Riddler challenges were much improved and you had to use your mind to get a lot of the trophies instead of just waiting to get a gadget to you could line launch over to a trophy, use the batclaw to pull open a ventilation grate, etc. Lastly, I loved the story so much more in Arkham City, and I'll remember that iconic ending probably for the rest of my life.
I kinda disagree, not because the puzzles were not challenging (they were, and are), but just because of that, they are puzzles, not riddles.
The name of the man is Riddler, not Puzzler (and i bet there is a guy named that out there), i should be solving riddles, not puzzles that are mainly about timing and proper jump sequencing (or grapple line aiming).
There are still plenty of riddles in the game, every outside and interior area of the game has a riddle, plus there's riddle to locate every hostage you have to save. Also, the Riddler just doesn't do riddles alone. If the Riddler only had riddles for Batman to solve, he wouldn't be a villain. Batman has to solve the riddles to find out where and/or when Riddler's next crime is and he usually has some kind of trap in store for Batman.

And, here's the first line of the Riddler character overview on Wikipedia:

The Riddler is obsessed with riddles, puzzles, and word games.
And, this is the paragraph describing Riddler's powers and abilities:

The Riddler possesses extreme originality in decoding and formulating puzzles of all kinds. His deductive ability has perfused his new role of private detective, in which he is shown to have investigative skills that rival those of the Dark Knight. The Riddler has no superhuman abilities, but is a highly cunning criminal strategist. He is not especially talented in fisticuffs (although his endurance has grown from having to engage in them over the years), but sometimes employs weaponry that exploits his gimmick, such as exploding jigsaw pieces, his infamous question mark cane, known to house a wide variety of technological devices and weapons, and question mark shaped pistols. He is shown to be skilled with engineering and technology, confronting Batman and Robin with unique and elaborate deathtraps.

hexFrank202

Mar 21, 2010
Your views on Batman as a character are such asinine bullcrap, Yahtzee. Go watch the animated series from the 90's, then come back and say all that again. If you've watched it already: watch it again, pay attention this time, come back and say all that again.

Arppis

May 28, 2011
I loved the sandbox and it made the game so much better. I'm happy they did it.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
MHYTRMG will never catch on unfortunately, good idea though.

Also I thought I was the only one who liked Batman's villains much more than him, everyone seems to worship Batman.

The Joker is obviously the most interesting one because he is pure havoc, rather than greed.

Azrael the Cat

Dec 13, 2008
nyysjan said:
Phoenixmgs said:
The Riddler challenges were much improved and you had to use your mind to get a lot of the trophies instead of just waiting to get a gadget to you could line launch over to a trophy, use the batclaw to pull open a ventilation grate, etc. Lastly, I loved the story so much more in Arkham City, and I'll remember that iconic ending probably for the rest of my life.
I kinda disagree, not because the puzzles were not challenging (they were, and are), but just because of that, they are puzzles, not riddles.
The name of the man is Riddler, not Puzzler (and i bet there is a guy named that out there), i should be solving riddles, not puzzles that are mainly about timing and proper jump sequencing (or grapple line aiming).
Sorry, but you fail at knowledge of Batman comics (normally a very silly skill to criticise someone on, EXCEPT where that person is ripping on a game for not characterising a character for the comics correctly).

The Riddler has long worked on puzzles as well as Riddles. All the way from his earliest appearances, in fact. Usually the puzzles are his main threat, while he calls himself the 'Riddler' because he is a genius at intellectual problem-solving of the kind that requires lateral thinking - which he shows off via reeling off his riddles. I.e. his riddles are mainly just for taunting purposes, the backbone of his actual threats is the death-trap puzzles.

Good example of why he's called the Riddler - while locked away and hallucinating mildly in one of Ra's Al Ghul's Lazarus Pits (being the Riddler, upon discovering that he was dying, he put his mind to solving the riddle, in the sense of 'mystery', of how Ghul stays immortal, and discovers the pits), during which time he works out who Batman's alter ego is (and then teams up with Hush to take him out).

If he's on the attack, he tends to use traps and puzzles to put Batman at risk of death unless he finds the way out of the trap. The riddling kind of describes his special ability - putting 2 and 2 together to discover 5, as in the Batman=Wayne discovery through nothing more than meditating on it.

Incidentally (and please, no spoilers other than the one I'm asking for)...is Hush in Arkham City? He and Prometheus would be two of my favourite lesser known villains (well, Prometheus is more of a Justice League villain, but he's the anti-Batman, the guy who takes out the combined Justice Leage with ease despite having no special powers other than a helmet that stores info on the strategies he's worked out for taking down each hero).

Prometheus would be a bit much, given that in one incident he he single-handedly invades the Justice League's base and wtf-pwned the Flash, Batman, Green Lantern, Hawkman, Huntress Martian Manhunter, Zauriel, Steel and Superman himself, despite having no superpowers beyond being a badass strategist. If you had him in it, he'd pretty much have to be THE main villain, and while it might be interesting to have an ultra hands-on villain who periodically steps into the action himself to whoop your ass a few times before you can find a way of defeating him, he's just too obscure to be the main villain for a Batman game.

Hush, however, is awesome and could serve equally well as a side-villain, a henchman for another villain, or the main guy, depending on the story. Without spoiling anything else, does Hush get any serious screen-time in Arkham City?

ewhac

Digital Spellweaver
Legacy
Escapist +
Sep 2, 2009
San Francisco Peninsula
Country
USA
ZZoMBiE13 said:
You really need to play Evil Genius Ben. Seriously. Go to Steam, download it now.
I think he has in fact played it. As it happens, I was just watching his review of Dead Space [/videos/view/zero-punctuation/333-Dead-Space] again, and in the final credits panel is written, "Evil Genius is a management sim, not a sandbox crime game, shut up you idiots."

Electric Alpaca

What's on the menu?
May 2, 2011
Rocksteady have deliberately held back giving us Gotham City. For good reason, you don't obsolete your own product with one massive leap - you slowly make elements of it redundant whilst charging full price for each iteration. See: Gilette razors.

The issue regarding travelling, will be fixed with the Batmobile, Batcycle and Batplane. Already, this is the only action that Rocksteady need to perform to ensure that Gotham City rakes in the sales - but I don't believe they'll stop there.

The true power of the villain - as mentioned in the article - is the unpredictability. Immensely difficult to achieve in a finite resource such as a game, developers don't have the ability to create a seemingly endless set of scenarios for their playerbase, but the playerbase itself does.

Looking at Little Big Planet and to a lesser degree inFamous 2 - the community is extremely willing to essentially build their own game if the developer allows it, both by a robust tool set and an acceptable method of integration.

With Demon Souls/Dark Souls unique "Single player but Multi player" format, it's been proven that players love the idea of encroaching on and being encroached upon by the community, even if they're the sole hero of their world.

With Gotham City, Rocksteady simply need to provide the villains, provide the rules for their behaviours (i.e. Freeze wouldn't be popping down to the steel mill at any time soon) and allow the community to build their own villain scenarios.

Other players can then decide whether they wish for these scenarios to migrate into their world; with filters such as quality, villain focused upon, difficulty, frequency etc.

Whilst playing the game, these scenarios will then appear in your world as seemingly organic actions. Download rates will be fairly low, seeing as you're merely loading actions with assets already on the recipient side.

Not only are we still playing the hero, but we're all also fighting as the villains - potentially creating incredibly devious plots and seeing how well they hold up against the heroes out there.

Like a true villain, we'll fail. But we'll come back, with an even more devious plan than the last.

All this being said though, I truly imagine this will only manifest come Gotham City 2. Still have vehicles to add...

Pyramid Head

Jun 19, 2011
If you promise to add a fourth wall breaking sequence in which motion controls appear temporarily in the game before the villain bursts into the developers office and beats him to death before disabling them, i'll pre-order the special edition of MHYTRMG. Or it could be quick time events if you're not going for an exclusive.

Farther than stars

Jun 19, 2011
I'd buy into that game. Being the gang leader in Saints Row works after all. And it's an interesting point made at the end, which I feel is better summerized in Batman's words at the end of Dark Knight: "You either die as a hero or live long enough to see yourself become the villian."
But more to the point, I think it's easier to get people to play as a hero or a villian depending on how the series has started. Games like crime sandboxes and Infamous/Prototype work because in all of those series you're a bad guy from the start, whereas Batman has already been established as the protagonist. And I think making a villian the front man in this series might be a bit much for the fans.
It was an interesting point made about Scarecrow though. It actually reminds me of "Fight club", where David Fincher explores nihilistic views. He does this by having Brad Pitt running an underground boxing ring or "fight club", with the purpose of erradicating people's earthly fears of pain and social conformity. In essence you could make Scarecrow protagonistic by representing that: teaching people to deal with their fears. But, like I said, it's not easy to have an audience buy into such existentialist views. And I definitely don't begrudge the writers for not making such a risky move.
But this whole thing about Batman is an academic debate anyway. Last I heard the studio is toying with the idea of making the first "good" Superman game, so I guess that means they've moved on from the whole Batman thing. And that's what I would do. Quit while you're ahead.

braincore02

Jan 14, 2008
I don't agree that the sandbox environment was a disservice to Batman, quite the opposite. In the first game when I swooped down on unsuspecting baddies waiting for a wallop, I recall wishing there was more room to glide around in, cause it's damn fun, and makes you feel like Batman. Arkham City gave me exactly that. And while Batman may not be as agile as Spiderman, once you get the hook boost and some practice, gliding around the environment is quite satisfying. Plus it's the smallest sandbox world ever, and feels like an appropriate upgrade to the world size from the Asylum.

I just love having a bunch of rooftops to jump off, surprise my prey, then swoop back to, making me feel quite like the shadowy figure I feel Batman to be.

But when you've got to complain on a deadline I don't hold it against you that sometimes this sort of thing is the best you've got. Better luck next time Yahtzee.

drummond13

Apr 28, 2008
braincore02 said:
But when you've got to complain on a deadline I don't hold it against you that sometimes this sort of thing is the best you've got. Better luck next time Yahtzee.

I feel like you've hit it on the head here. Yahtzee learned long ago that his popularity and level of hilarity are directly proportional to his negativity. It almost feels like these articles have started to grasp at straws. I loved the sandbox aspect of Arkham City, I thought the grapple glide travel system was fluid and in character, and since when is stopping villains from killing innocent people "maintaining the status quo"? Seriously?

I think Yahtzee makes some great points here and there, but not in this article. Arkham City wasn't perfect, true, but its few flaws have nothing to do with any of the mechanics he talks about here.

beefpelican

Apr 15, 2009
OutrageousEmu said:
So get the upgrade to the hookshot, the one that lets you launch yourelf extra high, and learn to control your wings. You're flying and drifting like that guy from Just Cause 2.
Agreed. You could get all the way from one corner of the city to the other in somewhere between a 30 seconds and a minute, and in fact had to for some of the Zsasz stuff.
OutrageousEmu said:
...you didn't notice Stranges TYGER helicopter that kept looking for you, and basically saying "Strange has his eye on you Batman" over and over? Not to mention the Tyger security cameras that could be found everywhere?
That was there, but it wasn't quite the same as being stalked by Scarecrow in AA. The helicopters aren't really any threat for most of the game, and the open world lacks the claustrophobia of knowing that a villain could lurk around any corner, waiting to destroy your mind. You get some of that with the Mad Hatter, but it's such a brief section that it really doesn't have any lead in or anticipation.
OutrageousEmu said:
Yes. Lex Luthor: Man of Steel says that a Luthor controlled world would be a worldwide Stalinist Russia.
That was Superman, in Red Son. Lex Luthor: Man of Steel was about Luthor making a superhero.
OutrageousEmu said:
It was established in the Animated series, Cranes scientific methodology is sloppy, and doesn't have any manner in which to establish control or mitigate factors. Even if he went through with his studies, the data would be virtually useless beyond proving the effectiveness of said fear inducing gas.
I agree, this was a silly point for Yahtzee to make. Permanent insanity has very little useful effect on society.

Overall I absolutely adored Arkham City. It had everything I liked in the previous game plus more. Still, I would have also appreciated some more development of the villains, in game rather than in unlockable text files. Especially since they put a lot of effort into putting a unique spin on the characters, like making Penguin's monocle a broken beer bottle.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
duchaked said:
I would totally play "Mankind Has Yet To Recognise My Genius"...someone please make it! like legit make it, not just something slapped together lol

but seriously, aside from the main superhero who you won't kill and who won't kill you, you can possibly kill other smaller superheroes (or just heroes, without superpowers) that you WILL kill (like the Joker killing Robin)
and heck even stupid vigilantes wannabe heroes who you gladly knock off to scare the city via city news reports

anyway...
they should be able to tighten things up in the next Batman game and still retain the sandbox. might just take a bit extra work for added focus...
I've been wanting to play Mankind Has Yet To Recognise My Genius since the review for SR2 came out. It's a great idea and sounds like a lot of fun.
I imagine a company like Gearbox approaching YC and asking him to fully sketch it out.

But if he ever wants to start his own dev studio to make Mankind Has Yet To Recognise My Genius, YC definitely has one investor right here.