"Extreme Gamers" Spend 48 Hours a Week Playing Videogames

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
Eh. Only 48?

I mean seriously? Do you think 'hardcore' gamers actually have jobs? ;p

Aside from which, who needs sleep anyway?

If it's possible for people to work 100 hour weeks, I can't see why they couldn't game that long... XD.

Let's see. 48 hours is 6 hours 51 minutes a day...

Hands up who has done 16 or more hours in one go though?

if you consider a couple of long sessions over the weekend, you'd easily reach 30 hours...

So really, this is reflective of people who don't have any commitments, and next to no social life, and perhaps not even a job. (or at least, not a full-time one).

TheMadDoctorsCat

Apr 2, 2008
"So, let's say someone works full time and is an Extreme Gamer; if they get a full eight hours of sleep, that only leaves a grand total of 24 hours left over in a week for other activities. Even we aren't that obsessed with videogames."

Sleep? WE DON'T NEED NO SLEEP! RAAAAWRGH!

(Sorry... a little hyped up on the caffeine... gotta go kill a few zombie space marines now.)

CAW4

Feb 7, 2009
Delusibeta said:
Should the developers wise up and stop screwing over them with crappy ports and intrusive DRM?I realise the answer to this question is "yes".
The best DRM is not to have it on PC.

Koganesaga

Feb 11, 2010
I'm not ashamed to admit I definitely fall into the 48 hours category for two good reasons. First I'm college student who can't get a job despite applying everyplace with a 50 mile radius (getting a job is a bit harder than I thought it would be). And second, during college I usually only get 4 hours sleep anyway, you're body adapts after a while. And in case people are thinking it, no I'm not overweight, rather skinny actually, and I do bathe on a regular basis, in fact I'm a tad germaphobic. Lastly to answer the other question, I like many others who fall in the high end category do have too much time on my hands.

P.S. I hate the way that is wrote, but I'm too bored to redo it.

geldonyetich

Aug 2, 2006
I'm Extreme Gamer enough. Truth of the matter is, it's not so much that we eschew our responsibilities in life, this is just what we prefer to do with every scrap of our spare time. I have my suspicions [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avoidant_personality_disorder] as to the underlying motive.

The sad thing about being an Extreme Gamer is that there's very few games that really entertain. So many games borrow their core mechanics from other games that there's a high chance any new game I find is one I'm already completely bored of because I had played to death a game before it...

...I find myself playing less and less games these days, for this reason alone; though I may ration the same amount of time at home to entertain myself, I simply cannot find that entertainment in games anymore. It's bad enough that, at times, I've started experimenting with "rolling my own" via game development.

SaiFai

Aug 13, 2009
I think the extreme gamer makes much more sense if you don't assume they sleep 8 hrs. 8 hours I doubt anyone playing video games for 48hrs a week sleeps 8 hours every night if any night. Factoring that in the extreme gamer has much more free time.

Canebrake

Nov 14, 2008
Dude 48 hours a week is baseline for me.
I see allot of people here saying basically it isn't possible with all the variables.
I am living proof that 48 is cake.

Do i shower? yes,5 minutes a day time roughly..
Do i sleep? yes,8 hours is plenty..
Do i have a job? currently not really but i do the yard work. (mowing hedge trimming etc.)
Do i prepare food? yes...ish,dinner is prepared for me (living at home atm.) and i don't eat breakfast. So just lunches. it doesn't take allot of time though. 15-30 minutes average.
Do i have a social life? Absolutely,although most of it consists of other gamers and people i have met online that i hang with in Teamspeak or ventrillo..

It's a good life though.
I don't think I'd trade it for anything :p

antigodoflife

Nov 12, 2009
errr.... oh crap... i get my 40 - 50 hours a week of gaming, do school, and still have time for internet, DVDs and making myself out as a fool infront of women... I'm gonna drown my tears in video games.

Last 7 days i know i've played at least 30 hours of gaming from Red Dead Redemption alone... about 5 hours of GTA4, and at least 10 hours of Fallout 3.

At one point i had 60-75 hours in one week under my belt 20-25 hours of Heavy Rain, 5 hours of God of War 3 and 30-40 hours of Final Fantasy 13 and 5 hours of Uncharted 1. I lacked a lot of sleep that week.

Mr. Samson

Sep 23, 2009
48?! That isn'l all that much... I'm guessing I go past this (and far deep) at least a few weeks a year. My avarage is probably between 20 and 35. But when summertime comes and I might not have plans for a week or so I most definitely go past 50.

GLo Jones

Activate the Swagger
Feb 13, 2010
I've actually measured myself (a few months back), I tend to average just over 21 hours week.

I'm happy with that figure. :)

kajinking

Aug 12, 2009
I've only touched that number once. 6th grade, Spring Break, Legend of Zelda Windwaker, one week rental from Blockbuster... sad now that I look back on it.

Infinatex

BLAM!Headshot?!
May 19, 2009
I'm probably on about 4 hours a day + more on weekends. Thats about 30ish a week. Not so bad.

Avashnea

Mar 16, 2009
antigodoflife said:
errr.... oh crap... i get my 40 - 50 hours a week of gaming, do school, and still have time for internet, DVDs and making myself out as a fool infront of women... I'm gonna drown my tears in video games.
There ARE us females that actually LIKE gamers and geeks, you know. :D

sneeky033

dAT cAPSLOCK
Dec 1, 2009
i wish i could play games that much every week.

i can usually only squeeze in an hour or two on weekends