Extreme weather in your area

cathou

Souris la vie est un fromage
Apr 6, 2009
This morning when i got in my car, the temperature was -32c (that's -26.6f for you americans) and tomorrow, they predict that we will get a -1c (30.2f) and back to -20c (-4f) by monday. so a good 30c difference in 48 hours.

that made me think that we usually get -30ish in the winter, to 30ish in summer (-26f to 90f roughly) which is a solid difference within 6 months.

in canada, well, in my part of canada anyway (i know place like vancouver doesnt get those temperatures) we are pretty used to that. I was wondering how it was in your places, do you get extreme temperature variation like this, or other type of extreme weather in your area ?

Tom_green_day

Jan 5, 2013
loads of snow. Gonna have to trek everywhere the old fashioned way.
South-West England BTW, apparently we got it easy.

Esotera

May 5, 2011
I'm in SE England at the minute and we got about two inches of snow in two hours this morning, causing me to get the day off work. It's pretty chilly outside and inside, and the rest of the country seems to be worse off.

Anything below 0C in daytime would probably be extreme for the UK...I don't think I could bear -30. I've dealt with -20 before in Austria but that was horrible.

Pimwing

Oct 9, 2010
It's around -3c in the Netherlands right now. Some snow on the ground but it has been there for a week now. Traffic and PT are still completely wrecked though.

Personally I love the cold and snow. While most of the people around me are wearing thick coats and shawls, I get by with a t-shirt and a hoody.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Well, it's apparently around -14c in Vermont right now, which honestly isn't that bad. Especially since it's bright and sunny and there's little wind. It can get a lot worse than it is right now, but generally I'd say our temperature has the same highs and lows as yours, OP. We'll occasionally cap out around 40-42 Celsius during the summers, but that almost never lasts more than two or three days, and this is actually probably close to the coldest temperature we've had this year. It's been a weird winter.

RedLister

Jun 14, 2011
South east England. We got bugger all snow at the moment just a bit on the paths none on the roads didn't have too much trouble walking into work and back i quite enjoyed it. Gotta love the media with there scaremongering and how my town all panic like sheep. Its hilarious.

My town never does get hit heavy by the snow we just get hit by the heatwaves instead.

Friend in Nottingham has a lot more snow then me from what she tells me and they seem to be plodding on as if its nothing.

Arakasi

Jun 14, 2011
Today was one of the hottest days on record where I live, on the surface of the sun.
Seriously, it was about 45 degrees celsius.

Lynx

Jul 24, 2009
Stockholm here. We've been slightly below zero celsius for a couple of weeks, then bam! This morning it dipped to -17. Not pleasant. But no, other than that nothing extreme, besides all of our trains and buses failing as soon as two snowflakes hit the ground.
Every. Damn. Year.

Bvenged

Sep 4, 2009
Tom_green_day said:
loads of snow. Gonna have to trek everywhere the old fashioned way.
South-West England BTW, apparently we got it easy.
I'm in south-east Wales, the infamous "red zone" as it's being called right now. Over a foot of snow, pushing 15 inches, fell this morning over 3-4 hours - and that was on top of soaking ground from a torrent of rain all night. Most snow Iv'e ever seen, easily tripling if-not quadrupling the couple of inches we end up having every year or so, which we used to call "heavy snow".

Worst weather I've ever been in was Hurricane Charlie on holiday in Florida back in... '04 I think? We planned on going for 2 weeks to Disney World and Universal. Ended up staying a few days longer thanks to a surprise party, hosted by a cat 4 hurricane that took the side off the hotel.

NoOne852

The Friendly Neighborhood Nobody
Sep 12, 2011
I live in Michigan, where the weather changes in a blink of an eye. The most extreme cases I recallwas when it was about 6060to degrees F one day, then about 20 degrees the next.. the other time, was when it was the middle of spring and we got heavy snowfall overnight. It was in about the mid 60s - low 70s F in the morning. Go figure.

CrazyJew

Sep 18, 2011
Mediterranean shoreline in Israel. There are no transitional seasons, there's only 2 big seasons:

Summer and
you bet your sweet ass it's summer

Tyelcapilu

Mar 19, 2011
Live in Wisconsin. Used to be just blizzards, sometimes accompanied by floods, but it's getting hotter. A decade ago it would be unsurprising for a blizzard to get in the way of Halloween. Feels like the tornado zone has spread out recently.

farscythe

Dec 8, 2010
over here its about -3 daytime to -10 night time living in assen (north east holland) havent seen any real snow yet tho...but the ice is good enough for skating now

Leemaster777

Feb 25, 2010
Central Florida here. I'd say hurricanes, but I've never had an actual hurricane hit my general area. Come close a few times, though. Some wind damage to a few places, but not too bad.

Flooding can be a problem, though. Again, my specific area doesn't have problems with flooding, but less than a half-hour from my house, it flooded recently.

Despite living in Florida, it generally doesn't get too hot. I mean, it CAN, but those days are extremely rare. And at least it's a wet heat, since I live so close to the Gulf of Mexico. I can't image how bad it must be for it to be really hot in a desert area.

Ryotknife

Oct 15, 2011
Esotera said:
I'm in SE England at the minute and we got about two inches of snow in two hours this morning, causing me to get the day off work . It's pretty chilly outside and inside, and the rest of the country seems to be worse off.

Anything below 0C in daytime would probably be extreme for the UK...I don't think I could bear -30. I've dealt with -20 before in Austria but that was horrible.
DAFUQ?

dang, we need to get a foot or so before we can think about getting the day off. a few inches is a normal day.

as for extreme weather:

Potsdam, NY. During the winter we get 2-3 weeks of -50F (-45C) or below with windchill. It is so cold you will get frostbite within ten minutes, and you can snap off chunks of lightly damp hair and use it as a knife.

pulaski, NY. A raging blizzard centered around the town, go 30 minutes in any direction and you will find clear blue skies and roads.

State of Alabama. Tornadoes. Scary as hell as they come out of nowhere. By the time you see it, it may very well be too late.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Well it did snow today (but it's not sticking) and it hit 1 degree which is the lowest temperature to hit over here so far lately (compared to Christmas).
Granted this isn't as bad to the snow we had a couple of years ago when it made a proper blanket of snow and it was super cold!
Either way it made being a work more dreadful to endure (the heating suck)!

Zipa

batlh bIHeghjaj.
Dec 19, 2010
Ragetrain said:
South east England. We got bugger all snow at the moment just a bit on the paths none on the roads didn't have too much trouble walking into work and back i quite enjoyed it. Gotta love the media with there scaremongering and how my town all panic like sheep. Its hilarious.

My town never does get hit heavy by the snow we just get hit by the heatwaves instead.

Friend in Nottingham has a lot more snow then me from what she tells me and they seem to be plodding on as if its nothing.
Its the same here in Lincolnshire, there is a little covering of snow on the foot paths ect but the roads are fine, its just the people acting and driving like morons that is making it much worse than it needs to be. That and the media blowing it out of proportion.

Esotera

May 5, 2011
Ryotknife said:
Esotera said:
I'm in SE England at the minute and we got about two inches of snow in two hours this morning, causing me to get the day off work . It's pretty chilly outside and inside, and the rest of the country seems to be worse off.

DAFUQ?

dang, we need to get a foot or so before we can think about getting the day off. a few inches is a normal day.

as for extreme weather:

Potsdam, NY. During the winter we get 2-3 weeks of -50F (-45C) or below with windchill. It is so cold you will get frostbite within ten minutes, and you can snap off chunks of lightly damp hair and use it as a knife.

pulaski, NY. A raging blizzard centered around the town, go 30 minutes in any direction and you will find clear blue skies and roads.

State of Alabama. Tornadoes. Scary as hell as they come out of nowhere. By the time you see it, it may very well be too late.
I think the problem is that the colder it gets the easier it is to just shovel the snow away on the roads because of the way it forms. As we're nearer to 0C the snow will likely melt tomorrow and form ice, which is the real danger. But yeah, I think the office was a bit premature in shutting down so quickly, especially as lots of people live nearby.

SirDeadly

Feb 22, 2009
I live in Adelaide, South Australia, during summer as it is currently we can get temperatures of up to 45C if not more as you get closer to the centre of the country. A heatwave just ended thank god! During winter we may get a few days below 10C but it's usually around 10-18C which I like. I don't think it has ever snowed, the closest we get is frost and that is in the surrounding hills.