Eye-rolling-ly Stupid Deaths in Games

Voxgizer

Jan 12, 2011
What's yours?

Mine happened earlier after finally finding the joys of Legend of Grimrock. I'd come up to one of those cage type doors that requires a chain to be pulled. On one side was my party and on the other - a room full of spiders. I figure that I can open the gate, kill one, rinse and repeat.

This worked out for the most part; at least until I decided to see if my mage could cast his Ice Shards through the gate for my own general knowledge (spoiler - he can't). So, curiousity, did in fact get me wiped. The Ice Shards exploded in my party's face which killed poor Lizard Man 1 who was the hand-to-hand expert. I shrugged it off and figured that I could get this last spider out of the way before moving on and finding a crystal to revive him. The spiders had other plans though.

I pulled the chain and began smacking the spider around only to be met from the rear by another spider. Sandwiched between two spiders, my team melted and left only Teamkill The Mage by himself. He didn't fair any better as the last man (insect, Minotaur, or Lizardfolk) standing.

TL;DR - My characters in Grimrock got wiped because I blew up one character and got sandwiched between two spiders. I felt preeeeetty stupid about that one.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
I've died from falling damage multiple times in World of Warcraft.

And I don't mean I was in combat and accidentally ran off a cliff or something, though that's happened once or twice as well.

No, I've jumped off the rises in Shattrath, I've fallen from Dalaran, I've leaped off of Wyrmrest Tower, dismounted above Stormwind (I'm a warlock, I was trying to see if I could save myself by using the teleport they got - It rarely worked as planned), fallen off the Darnassus Tree of Life, and fallen in the lava in Ironforge.

EDIT: Fun anecdote, actually. I was level 80 when I fell in the lava in Ironforge, so I actually had enough health to spend ten minutes assembling a group with fellow guild members, one of whom was another warlock, and have them summon me out of the lava to Dalaran.

ShinyCharizard

Oct 24, 2012
I had just picked up GTA 3 and proceeded to hijack my first car. Turns out that it was a mafia car so the owner proceeds to pull me out and shoot me to death.

Anget Colslaw

Jul 26, 2012
A lot of dumb deaths in arcade shooters like Metal Slug. Like a rebel grunt with a rifle surviving a shotgun blast that killed his comrades he was using as shields then rushing at you and instanly killing you by whacking you with the rifle before you shoot/melee again in the seventh game. By the way, the melee animation for that attack is almost instant. Homing plasma grenades in Halo Reach's campaign/firefight mode are always fun too. Bonus points if it sticks to youe toes.

DementedSheep

Jan 8, 2010
In ME2 I vanguard charged out of the protective bubble during the suicide mission. Yeah...I?m not smart.

Eddie the head

Feb 22, 2012
shrekfan246 said:

And I don't mean I was in combat and accidentally ran off a cliff or something, though that's happened once or twice as well.

No, I've jumped off the rises in Shattrath, I've fallen from Dalaran, I've leaped off of Wyrmrest Tower, dismounted above Stormwind (I'm a warlock, I was trying to see if I could save myself by using the teleport they got - It rarely worked as planned), fallen off the Darnassus Tree of Life, and fallen in the lava in Ironforge.

EDIT: Fun anecdote, actually. I was level 80 when I fell in the lava in Ironforge, so I actually had enough health to spend ten minutes assembling a group with fellow guild members, one of whom was another warlock, and have them summon me out of the lava to Dalaran.
I did that too, but it was with the Warrior's Heroic Leap ability they got in cata. It worked though.

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
Gotta say it: Aeris in FFVII. Come on, use a freaking phoenix down. You should have like 10 of them in your inventory, and you've probably used more than one on her by that point. It shouldn't have been a big deal.

Also, I was pretty mad about Wrex's death in ME1, but not for the fact that it happened. I appreciate that it was an option, but I do not appreciate that if you started a game in ME2 without uploading info from a previous ME1 save, it would start with him dead by default. That seems like the stupidest thing to me--punishing people for not having played ME1 or for some reason not being able to load the previous save by making them lose a character for the rest of the series. If they had to make the decision for the player (because it seems to me it shouldn't be hard to just let the player choose what had happened via some sort of questionnaire), they should have gone with the option that gave them more content, not less.

TakeyB0y2

A Mistake
Jun 24, 2011
Pretty much all of the deaths in ObsCure: The Aftermath, mainly because a good majority of them were avoidable. Buuuut, it's a survival horror game that feels like a teen slasher movie, so of course the characters are gonna act totally stupid and many of them are gonna die horribly. I guess I just didn't like the loss of control in those situations. Contrast this with the first ObsCure, where there's 5 playable characters and if one dies, you just continue on as the others and so on, and you don't get a gameover unless all of them die.

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
MGS2, walking along a pipe, slipped on a pile of bird poo and fell into the ocean. -_-

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Lilani said:
Gotta say it: Aeris in FFVII. Come on, use a freaking phoenix down. You should have like 10 of them in your inventory, and you've probably used more than one on her by that point. It shouldn't have been a big deal.

Also, I was pretty mad about Wrex's death in ME1, but not for the fact that it happened. I appreciate that it was an option, but I do not appreciate that if you started a game in ME2 without uploading info from a previous ME1 save, it would start with him dead by default. That seems like the stupidest thing to me--punishing people for not having played ME1 or for some reason not being able to load the previous save by making them lose a character for the rest of the series. If they had to make the decision for the player (because it seems to me it shouldn't be hard to just let the player choose what had happened via some sort of questionnaire), they should have gone with the option that gave them more content, not less.
Mass Effect does a good job of punishing people for not playing the previous games, it's even worse in ME3. It's impossible to resolve the Quarian Geth war peacefully without playing ME2 first.

Ironic considering they wanted ME3 to be the most accessible game in the series, all the while shouting fuck you at the people who didn't start playing at the beginning.

As for stupid deaths, Dante Garza's death in Killzone 2. For fucks sake Rico, we could have killed Radec, saved Garza and Natko. That would have also saved Templar and the scientist from being executed. But no, you have to go in guns blazing, get a man killed and then your best friend as an extra insult. And you keep getting pushed as a good guy in these games. You're worse than the Helghast, Rico.

skywolfblue

Jul 17, 2011
shrekfan246 said:

QFT. The Aldor rise in Shattrath was just cruel. That elevator claimed so many lives.

I especially love the part where you click your flying mount and proceed to jump off a cliff.

...Only you mis-clicked, and it's your ground mount. It's a very Wile-E-Coyote moment as you plunge to the ground.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
skywolfblue said:
shrekfan246 said:

QFT. The Aldor rise in Shattrath was just cruel. That elevator claimed so many lives.

I especially love the part where you click your flying mount and proceed to jump off a cliff.

...Only you mis-clicked, and it's your ground mount. It's a very Wile-E-Coyote moment as you plunge to the ground.
Elevator bosses are even worse than Hogger.

And you haven't lived (or died, I suppose) until you've started mounting on the edge of the cliff, but began running before the mount cast was actually finished and ended up running right off the cliff on foot because you thought you could shave off a quarter of a second between mounting and taking off. :D

saintdane05

Aug 2, 2011
Lilani said:
Uh... he does.

It doesn't work

Cpu46

Gloria ex machina
Sep 21, 2009
Borderlands 2. Run into an area and shoot one of the relatively weak enemies. Hear roaring behind and turn only to get a facefull of Badass Alpha Shock Skag. I kinda just set my controller down for that one and took my respawn like a man.

Sheo_Dagana

Aug 12, 2009
Anytime in SW:TOR, when some stealthed up asshat uncloaks, knocks me down, and starts stabbing me. It doesn't even make me mad anymore. I just sigh, roll my eyes, and wait for death so I can respawn.