F2P Timesplitters 4 Could Happen (Probably Won't)

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
F2P Timesplitters 4 Could Happen (Probably Won't)

Crytek's switchover to free-to-play games might have its upsides.

News that Crytek will be giving up the AAA race and entering the free-to-play market [http://freegamingresources.com/once-crysis-3-is-done-crytek-will-be-working-on-nothing-but-free-to-play-games-kotaku/] following the release of Crysis 3 no doubt came as a bitter disappointment to the German developer's fans. There is a silver lining, however. See, back in 2009, Crytek purchased a developer called Free Radical Design and promptly renamed it Crytek UK. Free Radical was responsible for a little game you might have heard of called TimeSplitters (it also developed Haze, but let's ignore that one for now). The market hasn't been kind to TimeSplitters, and the gaming public hasn't seen a new installment of the series since 2005's TimeSplitters: Future perfect. Some have pointed out that TimeSplitter's madcap multiplayer would be perfect for Crytek's recently launched free-to-play gaming service, G-Face - a fact that hasn't gone unnoticed by CEO, Cevat yeril.

"Look, I wish we were working on it. I will say that," he said. "I think hopes are high, but change has to happen in the platform space. I'm very excited potentially about the idea of a TimeSplitters for G-Face."

"The thing with TimeSplitters is, if we made a sequel to TimeSplitters, nobody would accept this apart from some fans, and we don't know how big the fan community is unfortunately," he continued. "And we don't want to design this as a packaged goods game that launches on a console, and even if we wanted to I don't think publishers would like the idea. That is the truth, and that was the truth even before we bought Free Radical."

Yerli made it abundantly clear that there's no TimeSplitters project in the works, but his comments do offer a tiny glimmer of hope in a dark, unforgiving, TimeSplitter-less universe. Essentially, the status of TimeSplitters 4 has been updated from "never happening" to "probably never happening." I'll take what I can get at this point.

Source: CVG [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/353240/crytek-ceo-weighs-options-for-timesplitters-4/]

Jorec

Jul 7, 2010
Hopefully when can move up to "possibly happening but don't hold your breath just yet" in the near future.

Apr 28, 2008
I would pay any amount of money for a Timesplitters product. Just saying.

If only there was a way to "test the waters", so to speak. Like... a remake of the HD sort, or something.

Just do an HD remake! Please! Do it! You can use it to test the waters to see if there's a market for it! OH GOD JUST GIVE ME TIMEPSLITTERS! And Timesplitters 4 doesn't have to be a huge, AAA game. The Timesplitters games aren't loved for their flashy graphics or huge spectacles or all the other crap AAA games show off these days. It was loved for its personality, style, and pure, distilled fun.

Also its mapmaker.

Squilookle said:
It somehow seems a crime to get a timesplitters game for free. I'd sooner buy Timesplitters than any other shooter in the business.
Indeed. Just no contest between "modern shooter in bombed out city" and "game which lets you have gingerbread men, ninja monkeys, a bear with a fez, and a T-Rex beat each other to death with baseball bats".

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
It somehow seems a crime to get a timesplitters game for free. I'd sooner buy Timesplitters than any other shooter in the business.

If they don't know how big the demand is for Timesplitters, then Crytek needs to fire their market researchers. NOW. Timesplitters' only serious rival for 'most wanted sequel' out there is Star Wars Battlefront 3.

Suave Charlie

Pleasant Bastard
Sep 23, 2009
I played ts3 the other day and my god it brings back so many happy memories, the campaign especially was just brilliant. I would pay a premium for a HD remake, I'd buy enough copies to give them the confidence to make ts4.

Silver Patriot

Aug 9, 2008
Squilookle said:

If they don't know how big the demand is for Timesplitters, then Crytek needs to fire their market researchers. NOW. Timesplitters' only serious rival for 'most wanted sequel' out there is Star Wars Battlefront 3.
Which leads to the question

"Why do sequels people ACTUALLY want never get made?"

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
Crytek is gonna be doing only F2P games? whoa

any chance of just making HD ports of the previous titles a la Halo CE, Silent Hill, MGS, RE4 etc? wouldn't want another DNF scenario anyway...

Xman490

Doctorate in Danger
May 29, 2010
Squilookle said:
...or Beyond Good and Evil 2, or Half-Life 3, or Psychonauts 2, or even Banjo-Threeie.
It's like for every Portal 2 there are a few unannounced sequels to other brilliant IP.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
remember folks: that video in today's military shooter of a knife being thrown at random and headshotting somebody was pretty cool, but timesplitters lead the trend with good ol fashioned bricks.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
At the very least they could port them to the "PS2 Classics" section of PSN.

Sis

Apr 2, 2012
"The thing with TimeSplitters is, if we made a sequel to TimeSplitters, nobody would accept this apart from some fans, and we don't know how big the fan community is unfortunately," he continued. "And we don't want to design this as a packaged goods game that launches on a console, and even if we wanted to I don't think publishers would like the idea. That is the truth, and that was the truth even before we bought Free Radical."

I knew that equal job opportunity is the big thing this day and age, but to employ an actual retard?

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
I hope there's a single player/split-screen campaign if it does get released. Half the fun is messing about with the characters with my buddies.

Ekit

Oct 19, 2009
I would buy TimeSplitters 4 the day of launch and I know alot of my friends would too.

nickpy

Oct 9, 2010
Really? These people don't already know that Timesplitters is one of the best IPs any studio could possibly own?
I mean, OK, if they were to do a sequel they'd have to do it right... if they "innovated" too much they could very well spoil the whole franchise, but it's like TF2. It doesn't need amazing graphics or big-budgets, it's just got a great story campaign, an even greater multiplayer system (with infinate replayability because of the map creator)....

I wouldn't say it's "the best game evar", because that would be unfair on the other games I love in different genres, but it's certainly very near the top. I still have it, I still play it. All my friends love it.

Why are developers and publishers so afraid of success and money? Can they not see that TS4 = Money?

*sigh*