FAA Approves Plans for Flying Car

Twilight.falls

Jun 7, 2010
This reminds me of that one trope: Awesome But Impractical.

Enforcing these things will be a major headache. I agree with a previous poster, we must simply have vacuum tubes.

Sneaky Paladin

Jan 21, 2009
I see it now. The criminal just robbed a bank and got in the getaway car with his partner. After a grueling 10 minute chase with authorities on the ground they take off. A string of robberies are pulled off around america until the airforce finally catches em.

V8 Ninja

May 15, 2010
Now only if people could attach weapons to the thing, THEN it would be the ultimate vehicle!

Sir Kemper

Jan 21, 2010
Oh god... Instead of a tree, the drunk driver's are gonna be able to take out entire neighborhoods...

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
And we only had 5 more years to prove Back to the Future 2 wrong. I think Terminator has already been proven wrong.

"We don't need roads."

Jun 7, 2010
i can picture it now "stop, you are under arrest" while being chased by police cars. and im like "bitcheeeees!!!" and ride of the valkyries plays from a loudspeaker as i take off, laughing like a maniac.

on a more serious note, old people should be banned from these.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
I wouldn't panic yet, this thing's existance has been approved, but it's probably going to be regulated out of existance like most other bits of private flight equipment, or at least treated ENTIRELY like a plane (which seems to be the way it's leaning) meaning you won't see any more of this than you do now since pilots are the only ones who will be able to use it.

Simply put I love the idea of flying cars and such, and while we could make them, coming up with a valid traffic control system would be difficult if everyone was to start using them. Not to mention issues like how you "pull them over" to enforce laws, and of course deal with the potential abuses, cops chasing a thief who flies off in a car is goiong to be far more difficult than chasing one down on the ground.

I remember a while back that "Popular Mechanics" had instructions on how to make your own Gyrocopter. It apparently never caught on because there are apparently laws about how far people can get off the ground without needing all kinds of liscencing and so on.

Not a bad idea because the last thing we need is drunk drivers crashing Gyrocopters, or air-cars into the roof of your house.

The bit that really disappointed me however was Jet Packs being pretty much regulated out of existance. I remember back when "Robocop 3" came out and as a promotion they had a guy flying a real Jet Pack back and forth outside the theater they were showing the premiere at. I figured "cool, those are going into mass production and eventually everyone will have one". Nope, not happening, it apparently requires a lot of approval to use and is forbidden on public property.

Heck, in a purely landbased sense the Segway was apparently banned through large parts of the country because it gave people too much mobility, and it was felt that the police departments would have to either equip ALL their officers with them, or ban them.

Ah well, enough rambling.

... I did think someone came up with this (car to plane) a long time ago though.

Outlaw Torn

Dec 24, 2008
Jim Grim said:
I'm pretty this has been done before... I saw it on some James May programme.
I think that was the Moller skycar, which has been available for a couple of years now. This is pretty unimpressive news really, especially when you see it is just a plane with more wheels and a box for a cabin. The Moller one is red. Which is clearly better. And it has a bubble dome!

Nbasa Whiteye

May 27, 2010
dududf said:
Dear god.. people can barely drive in 2 dimensions let alone 3...
I know some people who unfortunately drive in 3 dimensions with cars as well. I honestly don't understand how they still breathe, by the sheer laws of physics they should be dead.

OT: This is nothing new, people have been converting their crappy cars into even crappier light aircraft for a long time.

Anarchemitis

Dec 23, 2007
Nowandays Research & Development seems a lot less about "Why?" then "Why Not [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ForScience]?".

Sebenko

Dec 23, 2008
Anarchemitis said:
Nowandays Research & Development seems a lot less about "Why?" then "Why Not [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ForScience]?".
So it should be.

If we have to justify everything, we'll never get anywhere. "Because it's awesome!" is all the justification anything needs.

Tarakos

May 21, 2009
Yeah, I can see this "crashing and burning." Jokes aside, this isn't a flying car, so this doesn't bring us any closer to the idea of flying cars. This is just a Swiss Army Car that only turns into a plane and nothing else. Now if it turned into a giant flashlight and giant pen knife, then...no, it still wouldn't be worth the $194,000.

Outlaw Torn

Dec 24, 2008
The aforementioned Moller Skycar:
http://www.moller.com/

Not just some wings strapped to a car.

Vampire cat

Apocalypse Meow
Apr 21, 2010
Jim Grim said:
Suki the Cat said:
Jim Grim said:
I'm pretty this has been done before... I saw it on some James May programme.
Well, he and the two others DID launch Reliant Robin "almost" into space =3 on Top Gear^^.
It wasn't Top Gear. It was like this yellow car, and the wings were carried behind it on a trailer. When they were attached, it became a small plane.
Uhm, I know. Just mentioning it OO.

Seen his flying caravan? =p

JaredXE

Apr 1, 2009
Outlaw Torn said:

Do Want!

Holy crap that is an awesome thing.

MajoraPersona

Aug 4, 2009
Outlaw Torn said:

Awesome.

Call me when it works.

But seriously, if that guy can avoid any more fraud charges, and actually create a demonstratable product, the future is nigh. Like it was at the world fairs.