FAA Officially Approves Electronics Use Throughout Flights

roseofbattle

News Room Contributor
Apr 18, 2011
FAA Officially Approves Electronics Use Throughout Flights

People will be able to use electronics such as gaming devices, eReaders, and smartphones during takeoff and landing.

Frequent fliers are well aware of the limited use of electronics during flights. The Federal Aviation Administration previously believed the radio signals emitted from electronic devices interfered with an aircraft's communications. After a study, the FAA has concluded this is not the case, and has thus approved use of electronic devices throughout flights with "very limited exceptions."

"Passengers will eventually be able to read e-books, play games and watch videos on their devices during all phases of flight," the FAA said in a statement.

Phones should be set to airplane mode. No calls will be allowed, and the cellular signal should be off, but WiFi will be allowed as will as the use of short-range Bluetooth accessories. Laptops and other similar heavier electronic devices will have to be stowed away during takeoff and landing like usual, but anyone can use a phone, a handheld gaming device, or a tablet during takeoff and landing as long as the device is in the user's hands or put away in the back pocket of the seat when not in use. The crew has the authority to advise passengers to turn off electric devices for landing in "rare instances of low-visibility."

Fliers can expect to start using their electronic devices throughout their flights by the end of the year. Implementation among airlines will vary, but the FAA expects many airlines will allow electronics during takeoff and landing.

Source: Federal Aviation Administration [http://www.faa.gov/news/press_releases/news_story.cfm?newsId=15254&cid=TW189]

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
Thank the lords of kobol on the no calls bit.

Thats why I supported the airlines for so long in their shut off everything routine-- can you imagine being on a 6 hour flight with the person next to you barking into a cellphone the entire time?

Its a hazard alright, because i'd be tempted to punch them through the fuselage.

Phrozenflame500

Dec 26, 2012
Who wants to take bets on how long until airlines will offer onboard wifi?

EDIT: Apparently flights are offering onboard wi-fi, and the airliners I normally fly on just don't. Whoops.

mechalynx

Führer of the Sausage People
Mar 23, 2008
thiosk said:
Words of wisdom
Hear hear! I can take a screaming baby/obnoxious kid any day over a loud **** on the phone.

This is good news tho. Now the husband and I can play some Mario Cart and whatnot on our DSs and PSPs.

Pyrian

Hat Man
Legacy
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
Country
US
Airlines have been offering onboard wifi for awhile, now.

EDIT: I have been ninja'd by a whole conversation!

Akisa

Jan 7, 2010
bandit0802 said:
Akisa said:
bandit0802 said:
Phrozenflame500 said:
Who wants to take bets on how long until airlines will offer onboard wifi?
Most already do.
But they charge you more than Canadians pay for their ISP. ;p
I never said they were offering it REASONABLY. :p
Yeah but it might as well not exist ;p

Before you bring up those 6 hour flights, try 18 hour rotater flight for deployments.

ShadowGandalf01

Oct 3, 2011
Cool... I guess. The last time I ever flew though, was when I was 10, (I'm 26 now) and that was just a short hop from Southampton, England to Jersey for 1 week. A 45 minute flight in which I just admired the view from the window. I was a first time flyer, so naturally I was a bit scared, but being able to see the view helped.

If I ever was to fly again, I've always dreamed of going to Rio de Janeiro. Good to know I'll be able to keep myself occupied with a gaming device if I ever get to go.

VoidOfOne

Aug 14, 2013
I may start using air travel again.

Maybe. Depends on if I have to strip down or if I can just op to get x-rayed. Not a fan of being touched... without compensation.

Now to figure out how to make a laptop last for several hours without a plug...

Apr 5, 2008
Finally some good news. The first step in many, many, many years that has actually improved air travel and not made it worse. A good step indeed. Now we just need to stop the bullshit with shoes and liquids and air travel would finally make its way back toward "almost pleasant", a significant step up from "barely tolerable".

JaredXE

Apr 1, 2009
Seriously? We have known this for decades. The FAA has specific frequencies that all their equipment uses and are locked down so that NO mass-produced commercial electronic uses them. No common electronic device has ever posed a threat to an airplane, anybody with half a brain knows that. That's why I always fly with my cellphone on (but mute), no airplane mode, and other electronic devices broadcasting, just to see what happens.

Nothing.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
breaking news: using a gameboy from the 90s on a plane does not cause the plane to crash

more at eleven

Brian Tams

Sep 3, 2012
Hmmm... I'm actually not sure I support this. While the explanation was shite, I always found a grain of wisdom with putting away your portable electronics in the sense that take offs and landings are bumpy, and shit tends to bounce around when its bumpy (I actually had an old woman's hard cover book fly out of her hands and give me a shiner during a landing once.)

Also, there's always a chance for a pop quiz.

LetalisK

May 5, 2010
JaredXE said:
Seriously? We have known this for decades. The FAA has specific frequencies that all their equipment uses and are locked down so that NO mass-produced commercial electronic uses them. No common electronic device has ever posed a threat to an airplane, anybody with half a brain knows that. That's why I always fly with my cellphone on (but mute), no airplane mode, and other electronic devices broadcasting, just to see what happens.

Nothing.
I get the feeling if there was ever an actual threat to the plane from electronics devices, that shit would be confiscated the second you pulled it out, not simply told to put it away. This change has been a long time coming.